enceinte de Montreuil Bellay, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 47° 07.750 W 000° 09.383
30T E 715659 N 5223442
Quick Description: The superb Saint Jean gate is part of the fortified enclosure. La superbe porte Saint Jean fait partie de l'enceinte fortifiée.
Location: Pays de la Loire, France
Date Posted: 1/9/2020 12:29:50 AM
Waymark Code: WM11Y33
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 5

Long Description:
source Saumur Tourist Office:
The municipal area of ??Montreuil-Bellay includes eight villages: Méron, Balloire, Chaumont, Panreux, Trézé, Champ de Liveau, La Motte Bourbon and Lenay. It is in these hamlets that we find the first traces of occupation through many megaliths and ancient remains.

At the beginning of the 11th century, at the crossroads of Anjou, Touraine and Poitou, Montreuil-Bellay became an issue for the rival feudal powers. Foulque Nerra built a dungeon on the rocky escarpment overlooking the Thouet before walking towards the town of Saumur taken from the Comte de Blois in 1026.

The Count of Anjou entrusts Montreuil-Bellay to his vassal Giraud Berlay, whose name distorted over time explains the "Bellay" in the origin of the name of the city. The somewhat belligerent Berlay dynasty revolted several times against its suzerain. The first fortress of Montreuil-Bellay was then undermined by Geoffroy Plantagenêt, then by Henri II Plantagenêt.

At the foot of the keep, on the banks of the Thouet, the first urban core develops. The Saint-Pierre church is founded as well as a priory entrusted to the monks of the Saint-Nicolas abbey of Angers. Today the ruins of the choir of the first parish church keep a group of capitals from the middle of the 12th century. Of great diversity, these Romanesque sculptures are similar to those of Notre-Dame de Cunault. The priory of the Nobis, attached to the southern flank, was rebuilt in the 18th century.
The Châtelet at the entrance to the Castle © Scenery views
THE CHATEAU ENTRANCE CHÂTELET © REGARDS SCÉNOGRAPHIE

At the beginning of the 13th century, the Viscounts of Melun, new lords of Montreuil-Bellay and close to royal power, initiated vast ramparts and built an imposing fortress. L’Anjou attached to the royal domain has a defensive line towards Poitou still in the English fold. These 13th century fortifications are still clearly visible around the castle and in the lower parts of the city walls.

During the Hundred Years War, the city became a possession of the Harcourt family, a noble line of Norman origin with prestigious offices (Constable, Chambellan, etc.). Jacques II of Harcourt then William IV of Harcourt, great builders, endowed Montreuil-Bellay with an exceptional architecture, physiognomy of the city even today.

Between 1415 and 1485 there were several worksites; the city wall is resumed, spectacular fortified doors filter the entrances to the city, the Saint-Jean hospital is built, the barn with tithes fitted out and beautiful turreted mansions welcome the justice and administrative staff of an assertive city . The lords of Harcourt will also focus their attention on their residence: Châtelet, old castle, new castle, painted oratory, castrated chapel that has become a collegiate church… the 15th century was without question the Golden Age of Montreuil-Bellay.

Montreuil-Bellay was an administrative and commercial center until the 18th century. Most of the trading is done by Thouet where foodstuffs from Aquitaine and Charentes join the Loire. All around the city an important cereal production predominates qualifying the Montreuillais of "Grenier de l'Anjou" and this since the Middle Ages. In the aftermath of the Revolution, Saumur was declared a sub-prefecture and Montreuil-Bellay had less administrative influence over the territory.

In the XIXth century the railroad supplanted navigation for the transport of goods, the city developed outside the ramparts and the garden of the mall with its bandstand became a place for walking. When war was declared, a powder factory was built on the plain of Méron, then in 1941, on the orders of the Vichy government, became an internment camp for gypsies. A commemorative stele was erected in 1988 and the place has now been classified as a Historic Monument since 2010.

source Office de Tourisme Saumur :
Le territoire communal de Montreuil-Bellay comprend huit villages : Méron, Balloire, Chaumont, Panreux, Trézé, Champ de Liveau, La Motte Bourbon et Lenay. Ce sont dans ces hameaux que l’on trouve les premières traces d’occupation à travers de nombreux mégalithes et vestiges antiques.

Au début du XIème siècle, au carrefour de l’Anjou, de la Touraine et du Poitou, Montreuil-Bellay devient un enjeu pour les puissances féodales rivales. Foulque Nerra construit un donjon sur l’escarpement rocheux surplombant le Thouet avant de marcher vers la ville de Saumur prise au Comte de Blois en 1026.

Le Comte d’Anjou confie Montreuil-Bellay à son vassal Giraud Berlay dont le nom déformé au cours du temps explique le « Bellay » dans l’origine du nom de la cité. La dynastie des Berlay, quelque peu belliqueuse, se révolte plusieurs fois contre son suzerain. La première forteresse de Montreuil-Bellay est alors mise à mal par Geoffroy Plantagenêt, puis par Henri II Plantagenêt.

Au pied du donjon, sur les bords du Thouet, se développe le premier noyau urbain. L’église Saint-Pierre est fondée ainsi qu’un prieuré confié aux moines de l’abbaye Saint-Nicolas d’Angers. Aujourd’hui les ruines du chœur de la première église paroissiale conservent un groupe de chapiteaux du milieu du XIIème siècle. D’une grande diversité, ces sculptures romanes sont à rapprocher de celles de Notre-Dame de Cunault. Le prieuré des Nobis, accolé au flanc sud, est rebâti au XVIIIème siècle.
Le Châtelet d'entrée du Château © Regards scénographie
LE CHÂTELET D'ENTRÉE DU CHÂTEAU © REGARDS SCÉNOGRAPHIE

Au début du XIIIème siècle, les vicomtes de Melun, nouveaux seigneurs de Montreuil-Bellay et proches du pouvoir royal, initient de vastes remparts et construisent une imposante forteresse. L’Anjou rattachée au domaine royal se dote d’une ligne défensive en direction du Poitou toujours dans le giron anglais. Ces fortifications du XIIIème siècle sont encore bien visibles autour du château et dans les parties basses de l’enceinte urbaine.

Au cours de de la Guerre de Cent Ans, la cité devient une possession de la famille d’Harcourt, noble lignée d’origine normande ayant des charges prestigieuses (Connétable, Chambellan…). Jacques II d’Harcourt puis Guillaume IV d’Harcourt, grands bâtisseurs, dotent Montreuil-Bellay d’une architecture exceptionnelle, physionomie de la ville encore aujourd’hui.

Entre 1415 et 1485 s’échelonnent plusieurs chantiers ; l’enceinte urbaine est reprise, des portes fortifiées spectaculaires filtrent les entrées dans la ville, l’hôpital Saint-Jean est édifié, la grange aux dîmes aménagée et de beaux manoirs à tourelles accueillent le personnel de justice et administratif d’une cité affirmée. Les seigneurs d’Harcourt vont également porter leur attention sur leur résidence : Châtelet, château vieux, château neuf, oratoire peint, chapelle castrale devenue collégiale… le XVème siècle est sans conteste le Siècle d’Or de Montreuil-Bellay.

Montreuil-Bellay est un centre administratif et commercial jusqu’au XVIIIème siècle. L’essentiel du négoce se fait par le Thouet où les denrées venues d’Aquitaine et des Charentes rejoignent la Loire. Tout autour de la ville une importante production céréalière prédomine qualifiant le Montreuillais de « Grenier de l’Anjou » et ce depuis le Moyen-âge. Au lendemain de la Révolution, Saumur est déclarée sous-préfecture et Montreuil-Bellay aura une influence administrative moindre sur le territoire.

Au XIXème siècle le chemin de fer supplante la navigation pour le transport des marchandises, la ville se développe en dehors des remparts et le jardin du mail avec son kiosque à musique devient lieu de promenade. A la déclaration de la guerre une usine à poudre est construite sur la plaine de Méron, puis devient dès 1941, sur ordre du gouvernement de Vichy, un camp d'internement pour les tziganes. Une stèle commémorative est érigée en 1988 et le lieu est désormais classé au titre des Monuments Historiques depuis 2010.

OT-Saumur : (visit link)
Dénomination de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Fortification d'agglomération

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Pays de la Loire ; Maine-et-Loire (49) ; Montreuil-Bellay

Siècle de la campagne principale de construction (from Merimee DB): 15e siècle

Précision sur la protection de l'édifice (from Merimee DB):
Porte de ville dite Porte Saint-Jean : classement par liste de 1889 - Parties de l'enceinte figurant sur les parcelles cadastrales BI 395 ; BH 513, 511, 342, 512, 510, 486, 477, 478, 484, 518, 480, 514, 471 ; BK 446, 524, 591, 574, 548 ; BI 393, 392, 934, 368 : classement par arrêté du 12 décembre 1996


Date de versement de la notice (Merimee DB): 1/14/1889

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Référence de la notice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Adresse de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Georgioturino visited enceinte de Montreuil Bellay, France 5/8/2021 Georgioturino visited it
sara et gege visited enceinte de Montreuil Bellay, France 8/1/2020 sara et gege visited it

View all visits/logs