Chateau - Dobrichovice, Czech Republic
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ToRo61
N 49° 55.566 E 014° 16.486
33U E 447945 N 5530665
Quick Description: The symbol of the Order Knights of the Cross with the Red Star on the wall of Dobrichovice Chateau
Location: Středočeský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 1/6/2020 1:52:03 PM
Waymark Code: WM11XR4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Kelux
Views: 16

Long Description:
The Knights of the Cross with the Red Star or Military Order of the Crusaders of the Red Star is a religious Order originating from Bohemia, devoted mainly to offering medical care. Its members use the postnominal initials of O.M.C.R.S. Throughout its history it was accustomed to the use of arms, a custom which was confirmed in 1292 by an ambassador of Pope Nicholas IV. The grand master is still invested with a sword at his induction into office, and the congregation has been recognized as a military order by Popes Clement X and Innocent XII, as well as by several Holy Roman Emperors.

The Order, as a distinct entity, can trace its origin to 1233 in a fraternity of Franciscan tertiaries attached to a hospital at Prague under a community of Poor Clares, established by St. Agnes of Bohemia, making it the only male religious Order founded by a woman and the only Bohemian-founded Order. It was inspired by the nursing military Orders, such as the Knights Hospitaller. In 1235 the hospital was richly endowed by Agnes, then still Queen of Bohemia, with property formerly belonging to the Teutonic Knights, a gift confirmed by Pope Gregory IX (18 May 1236), who stipulated that the revenues should be divided with the Poor Clare monastery.

Within two decades after their foundation the care of souls had become as important as their hospital work, so quickly had the majority of lay brothers been replaced by priests. Numerous churches were entrusted to them in all parts of Bohemia, particularly in the western parts, where they formed a bulwark for Roman Catholic dogma against the spread of the teachings of Jan Hus in that region. In the Hussite Wars, the Taborites killed the pastor of St. Stephen's at Prague, and the Hussites destroyed the motherhouse. This brought the Order almost to the point of dissolution, but it recovered sufficiently to offer strenuous resistance to the advance of the teachings of the Protestant Reformation.

In the 1910s, besides the motherhouse at Prague, there were about 26 incorporated parishes, and 85 professed members, several of whom are engaged in gymnasia and the University of Prague. There were benefices at Hradište (now part of Znojmo), Vienna (where the Order has been established since the 13th century and still remains in possession of the Kreuzherren Palais), Cheb, Most and other towns, especially in western Bohemia. Dobrichovice Chateau (visit link) , near Prague, served as the summer residence of the Grand Master.

Source and more information: (visit link)
Name of Military Order: Other Order from Wikipedia List (Specify in the Description)

Link documenting charitable acts: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Ramonda & Boulder visited Chateau - Dobrichovice, Czech Republic 3/13/2020 Ramonda & Boulder visited it
Dorcadion Team visited Chateau - Dobrichovice, Czech Republic 7/1/2017 Dorcadion Team visited it

View all visits/logs