Parish Church of All Saints Odd Rode Lychgate - Scholar Green, Cheshire East, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 53° 06.846 W 002° 15.868
30U E 549231 N 5885216
Quick Description: The lychgate of the Parish Church of All Saints is located on Church Lane in the village of Scholar Green.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/5/2020 9:16:59 AM
Waymark Code: WM11XJE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Parish Church of All Saints Odd Rode is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Congleton, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield, and the diocese of Chester and is one of three churches comprising the parish of Odd Rode.

All Saints' is an attractive rural church that was built in 1864. It is a Grade II* listed building that contains some fine architectural and decorative elements, which make it of considerable historical interest.

The lychgate is located at the entrance to the church at the junction of Holehouse Lane and Church Lane.
The structure is set into the stone wall surrounding the church grounds. It has a wooden frame attached to the stone wall with a tiled roof and small decorative wooden gates.

"The church, of All Saints, consecrated in 1864, is a building in the Early English style, from the designs of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A and consists of chancel with south aisle, nave of four bays, south aisle, organ chamber, vestry, south porch and a turret on, the western gable containing 2 bells: there is a fine carved marble reredos with a group of “The Last Supper”: the windows on the east and south sides of the chancel and at the west end are stained, and three others were added in 1893: the organ was given: by the parishioners in 1887 as a memorial to Randle Wilbraham esq. who died in the year 1861: the church affords 500 sittings. At the entrance to the churchyard is a lych-gate. The register dates, from the year 1864." SOURCE: (visit link)

The church was commissioned by Randle Wilbraham III of Rode Hall and designed by George Gilbert Scott. The foundation stone was laid in June 1863 and the builder was John Gallimore from Newcastle-under-Lyme. Stone was used from the quarries of Mow Cop and Kerridge at Macclesfield. Gallimore, who was also a joiner, made the timber roof, which Gilbert Scott likened to the ribs of a ship. He also made the pews to the architect’s design.
The family had worshipped at St Mary's Church, Astbury, but Randle III wanted to have a church in Odd Rode. He had previously bought an old chapel in the parish for the purpose, but this was too small, and in 1861 he commissioned Scott to design a new church. Building began in 1863, but Randle III died during the first year of construction, and the church was completed and paid for by his son, Randle Wilbraham IV. It cost nearly £5,914, and was dedicated in 1864. SOURCE: (visit link)

The description of the Grade II* listed church by Historic England can be seen at the following link: (visit link)

The church has many events and activities throughout the year which cater for all ages.
Every February, the church is open for the annual Rode Hall Snowdrop Walks, which attract several thousand visitors. The church often plays host to concerts and special events throughout the year.
(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
Year: 1864

Address:
Church Lane, Scholar Green, Cheshire East, England, UK.


Link to Church or Cemetery: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Include at least one photo of the lychgate or Depositoire taken by yourself. A short description of, or comment on, your visit is required, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lychgates and Depositories
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.