St George - St Cross South Elmham, Suffolk
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 24.479 E 001° 22.762
31U E 389760 N 5807652
Quick Description: The village contains the church of St George first constructed around a century before the Norman conquest of Britain. The church is the largest of the churches in the Saints area.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/3/2020 6:47:23 AM
Waymark Code: WM11X8C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The village contains the church of St George first constructed around a century before the Norman conquest of Britain, though many modifications and added developments were made in the centuries afterwards, such as the addition of the square bell tower in the 14th century. The church is the largest of the churches in the Saints area and has been through several renewals over its history, to restore and renovate areas including the floor, which was replaced with Victorian styled tiles in the 19th century and the benches, which were replaced when the previous ones started to decay. St George's is now open to the public on a daily basis after previously being kept locked for a number of years."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"The church was constructed about a century posterior to the Norman Conquest, though it retains few of its original features. It now consists of a good square tower, in which hang five bells, with a nave and chancel only; though the presence of a series of clerestory windows, over a range of lower and more ample lights, seems to indicate that the fabric, at some distant period, possessed a north and south aisle. The interior is very lofty and elegant, and although every architectural member is plain and simple, yet the neat and creditable condition of the fittings, and the fine proportions of the church and chancel, produce a very agreeable effect. The windows contained much stained glass a few years since, and amidst a rich display of architectural designs were the following arms: Ufford, Norwich, Willington, Bateman; and sable 3 mitres arg. impaling Ardington; and gules a chev. between 3 cross-crosslets fitchee, arg.; also, per pale, arg. and sab., a bend counterchanged. Argentin, gul. 3 covered cups arg., also quarterly, arg. and gules; in the first quarter an eagle displayed sable. There was likewise the following legend:

Prie pour John Bunting.

A small piscina is still open in the chancel, and over the communion table is placed a painting representing the raising of Lazarus from the grave. The roof of the church was raised at the expense of various contributors, whose arms were emblazoned on the corbels of either side; amidst which, those of Bateman were twice repeated. The authenticity, however, of these memorials of piety is completely destroyed by recent painting; and the pencil of some ignorant mechanic has rendered the series a jumble of heraldic errors. The fine old coat of Bateman—sable, 3 crescents ermine within a bordure engrailed argent, is coloured thus: argent 3 crescents within a bordure engrailed sable. The cups in Argentin's shield are yellow: thus destroying the affinity between the bearing and the name. Little dependence, therefore, can be placed on the other cognizances, among which, however, are seen the bearings of Adair, correctly represented. The arms of Bateman are also cut on the octangular font, which is removed from its original position.

Monuments.—Dorcas Downinge, filia Gulielmi Bloyse, arm: uxor Georgii Downinge, Gen: ob: 2. Sep: 1638. æt. 46.

There is a record to William Smith, A. M., formerly fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, Rector of this parish, and reader in the chapel at Harleston, who died in 1767. He assisted Sir Thomas Hanmer in his edition of Shakspeare, and Dr. Grey, also, in his notes on Butler's Hudibras; and in these works gave evident proofs, both of his literary attainments and his great humour and pleasantry. He left three sons, all clergymen, namely, the Rev. William Smith, of St. John's College, afterwards Rector of Bedford; the Rev. Charles Smith, Rector of Weeting, in Norfolk; and the Rev. John Smith, Rector of Mattishall, in the same county: the two latter were of Caius College, Cambridge. He also left a daughter, named Frances, who married Mr. Cave, of Bedford, and left issue one son. John Jebb, M. D., F. R. S., who was instituted Rector of Sandcroft and Homersfield in 1770, resigned these preferments from religious scruples. He was previously fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, and died in Parliament Street, Westminster, March 2nd, 1786. The indefatigable collector Cole says in his manuscripts, "Mr. Jebb, a professed Arian, was the great and busy agitator at Cambridge of the petition to Parliament to throw aside all subscriptions, 1772: him, the master of St. John's, Dr. Wm. Samuel Powell, opposed in all his wild schemes of reformation; and when he found his mischief at Cambridge was so ably counteracted, he reluctantly left the place, where he had done more harm by his lectures and activity than one can conceive; and flung off his gown, and publicly avowed his unbelief of the divinity of our Saviour. He now studies physick in London."

Walker mentions "William Evans, Rector of Sandcroft, deprived for neglecting the Parliament fasts; not preaching in the afternoons: prosecuting his parishioners for gadding (to factious lecturers, no question) from their own parish church: reading his Majesty's declarations; and for saying they were cursed, who gave a lent to the Parliament: nor was it possible, to be sure, that such an one could be other than a notorious drunkard."

The tithes of St. George have been commuted for £197. 10s., and there are 25 acres, 1 rood, 7 perches of glebe land. The registers commence in 1558. This rectory was consolidated with Homersfield on the 19th of June, 1767."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.