Pfarrkirche St. Genovefa - Mendig, RP, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 22.340 E 007° 15.445
32U E 376084 N 5581481
Quick Description: Die katholische Pfarrkirche St. Genovefa in Obermendig.
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 12/27/2019 4:43:47 AM
Waymark Code: WM11W61
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 2

Long Description:
[DE] "Die Besiedlung um Mendig ist durch prähistorische Funde bis ins 5. Jahrtausend vor Christus belegt. Vor allem Ausgrabungen aus keltischer, römischer und fränkischer Zeit geben Einblicke in Lebensweise, Kultur und Religion der hier lebenden Menschen. Urkundlich erwähnt wurde Over-Mendich 1041 n.Chr.
Im 12. Jahrhundert wurden in Dokumenten und Urkunden des Florinstiftes Koblenz, des Klosters Dünnwald bei Köln und der Abtei Maria Laach Obermendig und seine Pfarrei erwähnt. Die Kirche hat als einziges Gotteshaus in Deutschland die hl. Genovefa als Schutzpatronin. Sie lebte im 5. Jahrhundert in Paris. St. Geneviéve wird in Frankreich als Segensbringerin der Armen, Retterin der Bedürftigen, Friedensstifterin ihres Volkes und Vorbild bedingungsloser Christusnachfolge hoch verehrt.
Die Anfänge der jetzigen Kirche gehen in das 12. Jahrhundert zurück. Erhalten ist davon noch der romanische Westturm. 1249 wird die Kirche in einem Schreiben an Pastor Richwin dokumentiert.
1365 ist der Baubeginn einer dreischiffigen gotischen Hallenkirche. Aus dieser Zeit stammen zwei Konsolenfiguren im rechten Seitenschiff - ein Apostel mit Buch und ein Engel mit Kreuz. Dass die Kirche ausgemalt war, bezeugen die Fresken der Hl. Barbara und eines unbekannten Heiligen (vielleicht St. Jakobus).
In unserer Gegend einmalig in dieser Größe ist die Ölbergszene aus spätgotischer Zeit, die sich an der äußeren Nordwand der Kirche befindet. Unter einem Netzgradgewölbe, das in zwei gotische Spitzbögen übergeht, sieht man die bewegende Geschichte der Todesangst Jesu, seine schlafenden Jünger und Judas, der sich mit Soldaten zum Verrat Christi nähert. Die aus Tuff gefertigten bemalten Figuren sind meisterlich ausgeführt und bewegen durch ihre Ausdruckskraft.
Im Inneren der Kirche stammen die Figuren zum großen Teil aus dem 17. und 18. Jahrhundert - der Zeit des Barocks: Der hl. Nepumuk in der Nische des Beichtstuhls, die Schutzpatrone St. Genovefa und St. Laurentius an den Pfeilern des Altarraumes und Maria vom Siege in der Apsis des rechten Seitenschiffs.
1823 zerstörte eine verheerende Feuersbrunst einen großen Teil Obermendigs, wobei der romanische Turm beschädigt wurde. Im 19. Jahrhundert wuchs die Bevölkerung so stark, dass die Kirche zu klein wurde. 1879 erfolgte die Grundsteinlegung für eine neue Kirche. Friedrich von Schmitt, der Erbauer des Wiener Rathauses u. a. planten die Kirche. Er benutzte sehr einfühlsam Bauelemente der alten gotischen Kirche. Ein Querschiff wurde hinzugefügt und das Mittelschiff erhöht. Nun war die Kirche eine Basilika.
Der Innenraum des Gotteshauses vermittelt durch seine klare, schnörkellose Architektur Geborgenheit. Basalt und Tuff, das heimische Material, ergänzen sich harmonisch. Allein die Verschiedenheit der Gewölbe - Kreuzgewölbe im Mittelschiff, Netzgewölbe in den Seitenschiffen und Sterngewölbe im Altarraum - zeugt von der Meisterschaft der Steinmetze Mendigs. Hervorzuheben ist der Bildhauer Peter Mittler d.Ä., der die Engels- und Apostelkonsolen der Seitenschiffe gefertigt hat.
Der neugotische Hochaltar wurde von dem Bildhauer Ernst aus Koblenz gefertigt und 1881 aufgestellt. Mit seinen reichen vergoldeten Schnitzelementen und Türmchen ist er ein Hinweis auf die heilige Stadt Jerusalem. Sein Thema ist das Leiden Jesu.
Die unteren größeren Reliefs zeigen die Gesätze des Schmerzhaften Rosenkranzes. Die vier Brustbilder darüber stellen die Propheten Jesaja, Jeremia, Ezechiel und Daniel dar, die in ihren Visionen auf den leidenden Erlöser hinweisen. Oben in den Türmchen stehen die Kirchenväter Ambrosius, Augustinus, Hieronymus und Gregor, die das Kreuzopfer Jesu in ihren Werken erläutern. Die Apostel Petrus und Paulus - Verbreiter des Christentums in der römischen Welt - stehen neben der Kreuzigungsgruppe. Gekrönt wird die gesamte Komposition von einer Herz-Jesu-Figur. Sie drückt aus, dass das Leiden des Herrn in der mitteilenden Liebe zu den Menschen endet.
In der Verlängerung des rechten Seitenschiffs befindet sich die Kapelle zum Gedenken der Gefallenen der beiden Weltkriege. Das Altarbild der Pieta wurde nach altem flämischen Vorbild 1922 von den Gebr. Port geschnitzt und aufgestellt. Die Totenklage der Muttergottes steht für die Klage aller Hinterbliebenen über die Gefallenen, Ermordeten und Getöteten.
Ihr heutiges Aussehen erhielt die Kirche in den Jahren 1957/58 und 1974/79. Fenster wurden erneuert, der alte Kreuzweg durch Bronzereliefs ersetzt und Heiligenfiguren wurden aus dem Gotteshaus entfernt. Der Volksaltar unter der Vierung bekam eine zentrale Rolle im Gottesdienst. Das Genovefakreuz - ein Löffelkreuz von Clais Beligen aus dem Jahre 1462 - wurde im linken Teil des Querschiffs aufgestellt. In ihm sind die Reliquien der hl. Genovefa aufbewahrt.
Nicht zu Unrecht ist die Gemeinde stolz auf dieses architektonische Juwel im oberen Stadtteil Mendigs."

(visit link)

[EN] "The settlement around Mendig is documented by prehistoric findings up to the 5th millennium before Christ. Above all, excavations from Celtic, Roman and Frankish times provide insights into the way of life, culture and religion of the people living here. Over-Mendich was mentioned in a document in 1041 AD.
In the 12th century documents and charters of the Florin monastery in Koblenz, the monastery of Dünnwald near Cologne and the abbey Maria Laach mentioned Obermendig and its parish. The church is the only place of worship in Germany with St. Genovefa as its patron saint. She lived in Paris in the 5th century. St. Geneviéve is highly venerated in France as a bringer of blessings for the poor, saviour of the needy, peacemaker for her people and an example of unconditional discipleship of Christ.
The beginnings of the present church go back to the 12th century. The Romanesque west tower is still preserved. In 1249 the church is documented in a letter to Pastor Richwin.
1365 is the beginning of the construction of a three-aisled gothic hall church. Two console figures in the right aisle - an apostle with a book and an angel with a cross - date from this period. The fact that the church was painted is testified by the frescoes of St. Barbara and an unknown saint (perhaps St. James).
Unique in our region in this size is the oil-mountain scene from the late Gothic period, which is located on the outer north wall of the church. Under a reticulated vault that merges into two Gothic pointed arches, one can see the moving story of the mortal fear of Jesus, his sleeping disciples and Judas, who approaches with soldiers to betray Christ. The painted figures made of tuff are masterly executed and move through their expressiveness.
Inside the church the figures are mostly from the 17th and 18th centuries - the baroque period: St. Nepumuk in the niche of the confessional, the patron saints St. Genovefa and St. Lawrence on the pillars of the chancel and Mary of Victory in the apse of the right aisle.
In 1823 a devastating fire destroyed a large part of Obermendig, damaging the Romanesque tower. In the 19th century the population grew so much that the church became too small. In 1879 the foundation stone for a new church was laid. Friedrich von Schmitt, the builder of the Vienna Town Hall and others planned the church. He very sensitively used structural elements of the old gothic church. A transept was added and the central nave was raised. Now the church was a basilica.
The interior of the church conveys a feeling of security through its clear, unadorned architecture. Basalt and tuff, the local material, complement each other harmoniously. The diversity of the vaults alone - cross vaults in the central nave, net vaults in the side aisles and star vaults in the chancel - is evidence of the mastery of Mendig's stonemasons. The sculptor Peter Mittler the Elder, who made the angels' and apostles' consoles in the side naves, deserves special mention.
The neo-Gothic high altar was made by the sculptor Ernst from Koblenz and erected in 1881. With its rich gilded carved elements and turrets it is a reference to the holy city of Jerusalem. Its theme is the suffering of Jesus.
The lower larger reliefs show the sentences of the Painful Rosary. The four breast images above represent the prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel, who in their visions refer to the suffering Saviour. At the top of the turrets are the Church Fathers Ambrose, Augustine, Jerome and Gregory, who explain Jesus' sacrifice on the cross in their works. The apostles Peter and Paul - propagators of Christianity in the Roman world - stand next to the crucifixion group. The entire composition is crowned by a figure of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It expresses that the suffering of the Lord ends in the communicative love for mankind.
In the extension of the right aisle is the chapel in memory of the fallen of the two world wars. The altarpiece of the Pieta was carved and erected in 1922 by the Port brothers, following the old Flemish model. The lamentation of the Virgin Mary stands for the lamentation of all the bereaved over the fallen, murdered and killed.
The church was given its present appearance in 1957/58 and 1974/79. Windows were renewed, the old Stations of the Cross were replaced by bronze reliefs and figures of saints were removed from the church. The popular altar under the crossing was given a central role in the service. The Genovese cross - a spoon cross by Clais Beligen from 1462 - was placed in the left part of the transept. The relics of St. Genovefa are kept in it.
Not without good reason the community is proud of this architectural jewel in the upper part of Mendigs."

Translated with Deepl Translator
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.