Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne - Colston Street, Bristol, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 27.365 W 002° 35.846
30U E 527970 N 5700621
Quick Description: The Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne is a church that was built in 1504 and has Grade II* listed status. It is located at the junction of Colston Street and Christmas Steps and caters to the residents of the adjacent former almshouses.
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/24/2019 4:06:24 AM
Waymark Code: WM11VQ9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:

Wikipedia has an article about the chapel that tells us:

The Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne is a church in Colston Street, near the top of Christmas Steps, Bristol, England. It has been designated as a Grade II* listed building.

The Three Kings of Cologne refers to the Biblical Magi. The dedication is a reference to the Chapel of the Three Kings in Cologne Cathedral. One of the windows shows the nativity of Jesus, which may have contributed to the naming of the Christmas Steps.

The chapel was built by John Foster in 1504. He was the local High Sheriff, mayor and member of parliament for the city. The church serves as the chapel for Foster's Almshouses. The master of the almshouses was responsible for the maintenance of the chapel and appointing a priest.

It was refaced and roofed in 1861 by Foster and Wood, with further restoration in 1865 which included niches for the installation of carvings. The three current statues were designed by Ernest Pascoe and installed in the 1960s. On the gable above the statues is a small bellcote.

As of 2007 the adjoining Foster's Almshouses have been remodeled into private residences, with the chapel available for the use of residents.

As already mentioned, the chapel is a Grade II* listed building with the entry at the Historic England website advising:

Chapel. 1504. Refaced and roofed 1861 by Foster and Wood, restored 1865, most of the carvings from then. Squared coursed limestone and Pennant rubble, with limestone dressings and tiled roof.

Nave. Pennant W and S sides and upper section of N side: a roll-top coping to end gables and side parapets, with Tudor-arched windows; 4-light E window with panel tracery, hoodmould with diamond stops, single N window with intersecting tracery, and trace of an arched doorway at the right-hand end.

The W gable has a doorway with panelled reveals and soffit to double doors, an ogee hood with crockets and finial, carved tympanum, and carved head stops. Three statue niches above on carved bases, canted canopies with attached finials and pinnacles containing mid C20 statues; on the gable is a square bellcote with angle buttresses and a weathered ogee cap and finial.

INTERIOR: canopied niches either side at the E end, and a Royal Arms above the entrance. C19 half panelling and pews.

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.