Les Vitraux de la Basilique Saint-Sauveur - Dinan, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 27.214 W 002° 02.517
30U E 570837 N 5367157
Quick Description: [EN] The stained glass windows in the basilica mostly date from the second half of the 20th century, however, several bays house old stained glass windows. [FR] Les vitraux de la basilique datent majoritairement de la seconde moitié du XXe siècle, cependant, plusieurs baies accueillent des vitraux anciens.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 12/22/2019 7:14:44 AM
Waymark Code: WM11VB9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

" Old stained glass:

The main old stained glass window of the Saint-Sauveur church is located in the fourth chapel of the north aisle (bay 29, or Verrière des Évangélistes). Composed of four three-lobed lancets surmounted by a tympanum at 22 openings, it represents, in the lower register, four Breton saints, Mathurin, Armel, Yves and Brieuc, made in 1853 on drawings by Pierre Hawke, and in the upper register, the four evangelists, Jean, Luc, Marc and Matthieu, who are old. At the tympanum, musical and thuriferous angels surround a Coronation of the Virgin; this part is very redone.

Two windows of the Romanesque wall, bays 112 and 114, accommodate elements of old stained glass, reused in more recent stained glass. At bay 112, there are borders with decorative patterns and Castile castles, more or less naturalistic scrolls and quadrilobes. At bay 114, these are also decorative patterns. The old elements, probably dating from the 13th century, were donated to the church by a collector in the 1950s and reassembled in 1959 by the studio of Hubert de Sainte-Marie.

It should also be mentioned several stained glass windows now lost, but whose existence is attested. A late 16th century stained glass window, dated 1594, was in the transept; it seems to have disappeared during the Second World War. In addition, there was the tympanum of the bay in the third chapel of the ambulatory, north side, where a Christ-Judge from the first half of the 16th century was attested until 1923, as well as the tympanum of the bay of the third chapel of the north aisle, still occupied in 1931 by angels carrying the instruments of the Passion dating back to the years 1480-1500.

Modern stained glass:

The other stained glass windows in the building were all created from the 19th century. Several had been ordered and installed at that time, but the Second World War inflicted damage to the building which made most of them disappear. Most of the current stained glass comes from an order made in the workshop of Louis Barillet in 1937, carried out from 1939 until 1951. "

Sources : The Stained Glass Windows .

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Les vitraux anciens:

Le principal vitrail ancien de l'église Saint-Sauveur est situé dans la quatrième chapelle du bas-côté nord (baie 29, ou Verrière des Évangélistes). Composé de quatre lancettes trilobées surmontées d'un tympan à 22 ajours, il représente, au registre inférieur, quatre saints bretons, Mathurin, Armel, Yves et Brieuc, réalisés en 1853 sur des dessins de Pierre Hawke, et au registre supérieur, les quatre évangélistes, Jean, Luc, Marc et Matthieu, qui eux sont anciens. Au tympan, des anges musiciens et thuriféraires entourent un Couronnement de la Vierge ; cette partie est très refaite.

Deux fenêtres du mur roman, les baies 112 et 114, accueillent des éléments de vitraux anciens, remployés dans des vitraux plus récents. À la baie 112, il s'agit de bordures à motifs décoratifs et de châteaux de Castille, de rinceaux plus ou moins naturalistes et de quadrilobes. À la baie 114, il s'agit également de motifs décoratifs. Les éléments anciens, datant probablement du XIIIe siècle, ont été donnés à l'église par un collectionneur dans les années 1950 et remontés en 1959 par l'atelier d'Hubert de Sainte-Marie.

Il faut en outre mentionner plusieurs vitraux aujourd'hui perdus, mais dont l'existence est attestée. Un vitrail de la fin du XVIe siècle, daté de 1594, se trouvait dans le transept ; il semble avoir disparu pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale. S'y ajoutaient le tympan de la baie de la troisième chapelle du déambulatoire, côté nord, où un Christ-Juge de la première moitié du XVIe siècle était attesté jusqu'en 1923, ainsi que le tympan de la baie de la troisième chapelle du bas-côté nord, qu'occupaient encore en 1931 des anges portant les instruments de la Passion remontant aux années 1480-1500.

Les vitraux modernes:

Les autres vitraux de l'édifice ont tous été créés à partir du XIXe siècle. Plusieurs avaient été commandés et posés dès cette époque, mais la Seconde Guerre mondiale infligea à l'édifice des dégâts qui en firent disparaître le plus grand nombre. La plupart des vitraux actuels sont issus d'une commande faite à l'atelier de Louis Barillet en 1937, réalisée à partir de 1939 et jusqu'en 1951. "

Sources : Les vitraux

Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
14 Place Saint-Sauveur
Dinan, Côte d'Armor France
22100


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: 7/7

Hours of Operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 6:30 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Les Vitraux de la Basilique Saint-Sauveur - Dinan, France 12/13/2019 pmaupin visited it