La Chapelle de la Sainte-Trinité (ou Saint-Pierre) - Lignières-Sonneville - Charente - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 34.538 W 000° 11.125
30T E 719598 N 5050752
Quick Description: [EN] The Church of Sonneville is located at the bottom of a narrow valley, surrounded by hills planted with vines. [FR] L’Église de Sonneville est implantée au fond d'une étroite vallée, entourée de coteaux plantés de vignes.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 12/20/2019 7:36:01 AM
Waymark Code: WM11V1V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

Long Description:

"The Sonneville chapel is located at the bottom of a narrow valley surrounded by hills planted with vines. In front of the chapel, along the road which leads from Lignières to Segonzac, is a dozen tombs, vestiges of the old cemetery abandoned in 1866, when the cemeteries of Lignières, Sonneville and Saint-Palais des Combes were brought together.

The Romanesque chapel, placed under the name of the Holy Trinity, has been altered many times. The parish of Sonneville was abolished in 1803 then attached to that of Lignières in 1845. It was at this date that the bell tower and the bell tower crowning the facade were built.

The chapel has been included in the additional inventory of Historic Monuments since 1973. The plan of the building is a simple rectangle. The single nave is currently structured, but it must have been originally vaulted with a cradle (in the shape of a half-cylinder) whose departure can still be seen on the south wall. The false square is covered with a dome on pendants pierced with two oculi.

Above, stands the bell tower built in 1845. The original choir has disappeared; it is therefore the false square that closes the building to the east today. On the back wall, slightly offset to the south, there are traces of wall paintings and a broken arch, now walled, which was to allow access to the chapel.

The only remains of the choir can be seen outside northeast of the church. We can see part of the old north wall, the traces of a ledge and the departure of the barrel vault. To the north, to buttress the church, which is subject to this steep slope, large buttresses have been added along the wall.

Inside the chapel is an interesting wooden high altar covered with a painted faux marble decoration and surmounted by a 17th century tabernacle bought in the 1860s. "

Sources : The Church .

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" La chapelle de Sonneville est implantée au fond d’une étroite vallée entourée de coteaux plantés de vigne. Au-devant de la chapelle, en bordure de la route qui mène de Lignières à Segonzac, se trouve une dizaine de tombe, vestiges de l’ancien cimetière abandonné en 1866, date à laquelle furent réunis les cimetières de Lignières, de Sonneville et de Saint-Palais des Combes.

La chapelle romane, placée sous le vocable de la Sainte-Trinité, a été remaniée à de nombreuses reprises. La paroisse de Sonneville fut supprimée en 1803 puis rattachée à celle de Lignières en 1845. C’est à cette date que furent bâtis le clocher ainsi que le clocher-mur couronnant la façade.

La chapelle est inscrite à l’inventaire supplémentaire des Monuments Historiques depuis 1973. Le plan de l’édifice est un simple rectangle. La nef unique est actuellement charpentée mais elle devait être à l’origine voûtée d’un berceau (forme d’un demi-cylindre) dont on distingue encore le départ sur le mur sud. Le faux-carré est couvert d’une coupole sur pendentifs percée de deux oculi.

Au-dessus, s’élève le clocher réalisé en 1845. Le choeur d’origine a disparu ; c’est donc le faux-carré qui clôture aujourd’hui l’édifice à l’est. Sur le mur au fond, légèrement désaxé au sud, on distingue les traces de peintures murales et d’un arc brisé, aujourd’hui muré, qui devait permettre l’accès à la chapelle.

Les seuls vestiges du choeur sont visibles à l’extérieur au nord-est de l’église. On y distingue une partie de l’ancien mur nord, les traces d’une corniche et le départ de la voûte en berceau. Au nord, pour contrebuter l’église soumise à cet endroit à la forte déclivité de terrain, de gros contreforts ont été ajoutés tout au long du mur.

A l’intérieur de la chapelle, se trouve un intéressant maître-autel en bois recouvert d’un décor peint en faux-marbre et surmonté d’un tabernacle du XVIIe siècle acheté dans les années 1860. "

Sources : L’Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited La Chapelle de la Sainte-Trinité (ou Saint-Pierre) - Lignières-Sonneville - Charente - France 7/21/2015 pmaupin visited it