eglise Saint Pierre - Usseau, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 10.392 W 000° 34.732
30T E 686886 N 5116140
Quick Description: massive church in the village of Usseau. une eglise massive du bourg d'Usseau.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 12/19/2019 1:10:18 AM
Waymark Code: WM11TVT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

Long Description:
source Parvis Poitiers:
The church of Usseau was given in 1090-1100 by Guillaume, dit d'Usseau, to the abbey of Saint-Florent near Saumur (today Saint-Hilaire-SaintFlorent). The monks will have in Usseau a priory which will disappear because of the Protestants in 1563.
The cure was first part of the archpriest of Mauzé, then became an annex to the archpriest of Surgères in 1647. The cure will be at the appointment of the bishop of Saintes until the Revolution.
The flat facade was rebuilt in the 12th century style, with a small semicircular door. Under the cross which dominates the gable one reads the date: 1899.
On each side, a little protruding buttress keeps the stump of watch towers, which made the church a fortified pole during the Hundred Years War.
The walls of the nave, reinforced by large arches, two narrow bays in the third bay betray the Romanesque era. The nave has three spans separated by pilasters and engaged columns which support the vault (redone) in broken cradle with liners. Short capitals decorated with very simple leaves and cabochons.
The first span of the choir is Romanesque. Capital with very stylized animals (lions?) At the entrance to the choir on the left, capital with two large masks, which evoke the Saintonge, on the same left side, at the end of this first span.

The square of the transept is vaulted with warheads, with eight large very prominent ribs which are found around the hole reserved for the strings of the bells.
The flat chevet has preserved 14th century capitals and ribs at its corners (to the south east). The current lowered barrel vault dates from the 19th century.
Two wings have been added around the choir. They date from the 14th century, according to a coin from this period found in the north wing. It has disappeared, but we have traces of it on the outside on the north side.
The southern chapel keeps the window and door marks blocked. Each of the two spans is lit to the south by a 19th century oculus. Funerary slabs remain in the paving.
The transept has been greatly altered.
The church was burnt down by Protestants in 1563.
In the second half of the 19th century, the bell tower was restored and parts of the vault were reconstructed. In 1937, the church was said to be barred with a wire mesh inside, with only part made available to the faithful. Today it is in good condition and well maintained


source Parvis Poitiers :
L'église d'Usseau a été donnée en 1090-1100 par Guillaume, dit d'Usseau, à l'abbaye de Saint-Florent près de Saumur (aujourd'hui Saint-Hilaire-SaintFlorent). Les moines auront à Usseau un prieuré qui disparaîtra du fait des protestants en 1563.
La cure a fait d'abord partie de l'archiprêtré de Mauzé, puis est devenue annexe de l'archiprêtré de Surgères en 1647. La cure sera à la nomination de l'évêque de Saintes jusqu'à la Révolution.
La façade, plate, a été reconstruite dans le style du 12e siècle, avec une petite porte en plein cintre. Sous la croix qui domine le pignon on lit la date : 1899.
De chaque côté, un contrefort peu saillant garde la souche d'échauguettes, qui ont fait de l'église un pôle fortifié lors de la guerre de Cent Ans.
Les murs de la nef, renforcés par de grandes arcatures, deux baies étroites dans la troisième travée trahissent l'époque romane. La nef a trois travées séparées par des pilastres et des colonnes engagées qui supportent la voûte (refaite) en berceau brisé avec doubleaux. Chapiteaux courts ornés de feuillages très simples et de cabochons.
La première travée du chœur est romane. Chapiteau avec animaux très stylisés (lions ?) à l'entrée du chœur à gauche, chapiteau avec deux gros masques, qui évoquent la Saintonge, du même côté gauche, en fin de cette première travée.

Le carré du transept est voûté d'ogives, avec huit grosses nervures très saillantes qui se retrouvent autour du trou réservé aux cordes des cloches.
Le chevet plat a conservé dans ses angles des chapiteaux du 14e siècle et des départs de nervures (au sud est). La voûte actuelle en berceau surbaissé date du 19e siècle.
Deux ailes ont été ajoutées autour du chœur. On les date du 14e siècle, d'après une monnaie de cette époque trouvée dans l'aile nord. Celle-ci a disparu, mais on en a les traces extérieurement du côté nord.
La chapelle sud garde les marques de fenêtre et de portes bouchées. Chacune des deux travées est éclairée au sud par un oculus du 19e siècle. Des dalles funéraires subsistent dans le dallage.
Le transept a été très remanié.
L'église a été incendiée par les protestants en 1563.
On signale dans la seconde moitié du 19e siècle une restauration du clocher et des reconstructions de parties de la voûte. En 1937, l'église est dite barrée d'un grillage à l'intérieur, avec une partie seulement mise à disposition des fidèles. Elle est aujourd'hui en bon état et bien entretenue


ParvisPoitiers : (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited eglise Saint Pierre - Usseau, France 5/30/2020 sara et gege visited it