Beffroi de Gembloux - Gembloux - Belgique
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PaulLassiter
N 50° 33.643 E 004° 41.577
31U E 619908 N 5602345
Quick Description: [F] Clocher de l’ancienne église Saint-Sauveur, rehaussé et aménagé pour servir à de nouvelles fonctions communale. [EN] Bell tower of the old Saint-Sauveur church, raised and fitted out to serve new communal functions.
Location: Namur, Belgium
Date Posted: 12/13/2019 10:46:42 AM
Waymark Code: WM11RZV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 3

Long Description:
[FR]

"Le beffroi forme la tour de l’ancienne église paroissiale Saint-Sauveur. Sa base pourrait remonter au milieu du Xe siècle. Cet édifice cultuel devait revêtir un aspect sommaire : une tour et une seule nef. La tour exerçait aussi une mission de guet et de défense. Elle était aussi appelée tour de l’horloge. Une référence à cet ornement se retrouve déjà en 1486. La tour fut progressivement exhaussée au fil du temps pour atteindre sa hauteur actuelle.

L’église Saint-Sauveur fut désaffectée en 1810 en raison de son état de délabrement et vendue à des fins de démolition. La tour fut alors conservée comme beffroi. Un revêtement de briques, renouvelé d’ailleurs par sa section inférieure, en 1889 recouvre l’édifice. En septembre 1905, un incendie ravagea le clocher du beffroi. Dès 1907, un nouveau, à l’aspect bulbeux, remplaça l’ancien en forme de flèche.

En juillet 2005, il a été inscrit sur la liste du Patrimoine Mondial de l’UNESCO."

[EN]

"The belfry forms the tower of the former parish church of Saint-Sauveur. Its base could go back to the middle of the 10th century. This religious building was to have a summary aspect: a tower and a single nave. The tower was also used as a lookout and defence mission. It was also called the clock tower. A reference to this ornament can already be found in 1486. The tower was gradually raised over time to its current height.

Saint-Sauveur Church was decommissioned in 1810 due to its dilapidated state and sold for demolition. The tower was then preserved as a belfry. A brick lining, renewed by its lower section in 1889, covers the building. In September 1905, a fire destroyed the bell tower of the belfry. In 1907, a new one, with a bulbous appearance, replaced the old arrow-shaped one.

In July 2005, it was inscribed on UNESCO's World Heritage List."

Source: (visit link)
Type: Monument

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/943-056

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.