Eglise Notre Dame de Melleran, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 07.900 E 000° 00.165
31T E 268471 N 5113043
Quick Description: A Romanesque Church with a very beautiful Bell Tower. Une Eglise Romane avec un tres beau Clocher.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 12/13/2019 9:37:02 AM
Waymark Code: WM11RZ4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 4

Long Description:
source ParvisPoitiers:
The church of "Maslerant" is cited in 1096 as a possession of the Abbey of Charroux, in a bull of Pope Urban II. The Mayleran cure will then be found at the appointment of the Bishop of Poitiers. The church (MH 1913), placed in the center of the village, at a crossroads of roads and paths, accompanied by a lime tree four times centenary, deserves the interest that we bring to it.

Romanesque parts
The gate. In the lateral position, on the south side, it is quite sober, like most of the works of the second half of the 12th century. Its three arches with edges bordered by a torus and nets rest on capitals with stylized leaves, with the presence of pearls frequent at this time in Mellois. It opens onto an inhabited bay only, apart from the large octagonal tank of a baptistery, through the base of the bell tower.
The bell tower. It is planted there, isolated inside this first span, like a sort of square tower with narrow sides, covered with marks of specks. Its four piers with engaged columns support capitals whose baskets are honeycombed, leafy, and with birds with bearded human heads. They themselves wear a small octagonal dome on flat triangular pendants, in the Limousin style. A wall and a supporting arch buttress it, in a different axis from that of the nave. Outside, it first keeps its square plan, with two bays on each side under a discharge arch. Their pedestals adorned with saw teeth, the fine balusters that frame them, make them an elegant ensemble. Above the bays, the tower becomes circular, supported by four trunnions. The arrow is then octagonal, covered with sawtooth scales, pointed downwards, the edges decorated with small sticks. It is the only Romanesque bell tower in stone preserved throughout the Mellois, a precious witness. It contains two bells: the smallest melted by Moyne (Poitiers) in 1807, recast in 1949 by Louis Bollée in Orléans; the second, "Pierre-Henriette", blessed in 1866. Gothic parts The interior plan corresponds well to what the buttresses covered with lauzes foreshadowed outside, namely a simple nave with two equally spaced spans, the span of the choir with only a bay on the north side, always better protected. A large bay with a flat chevet and two others to the south provide sufficient light. The vaults are crossed by quadripartite ribs. Three keystones of vaults allow to date the whole of the middle of the 15th century:
- that of the choir, by Guillaume de La Rochefoucauld, lord of Melleran († 1487);
- that of the center, of Marguerite de Torsay († 1463), married to the previous one before 1445;
- that towards the entry, of Renée de Beauvau (four lion cubs) married to Philippe de La Rochefoucauld (1461-1488).

On the walls and the vaults, many polls let guess under the whitewash a set of paintings and funerary liters of the 15th and 16th centuries. We also owe Marguerite de Torsay the foundation of the Sainte-Marguerite chapel, open on the first south span, simply built. It contains a tomb known as the lords and ladies of Melleran, in the form of a large block of masonry built undoubtedly above the real tomb to avoid profanation. An old masonry baptistery is just as massive. We can still find there, relegated, a painting representing Sainte Marthe or Sainte Marguerite (18th century?), To restore. Outside, the bedside window is dated 1615, and in the north wall of the choir has been inserted what appears to be an old sign, by master Valet, goldsmith, dated 1670. Inside, on the bedside wall , a large classical altarpiece surmounts the old high altar, with four stone columns painted in faux marble. It houses a tabernacle with wings in painted and gilded wood, with four twisted columns. On his door, the Lamb of God, on his sides, the busts of John, bearded, (or Christ?) And Mary; on the wings, Pierre and Paul.


source ParvisPoitiers :
L’église de « Maslerant » est citée en 1096 comme une possession de l’abbaye de Charroux, dans une bulle du pape Urbain II. La cure de « Mayleran » se trouvera ensuite à la nomination de l’évêque de Poitiers. L’église (MH 1913), placée au centre du bourg, à un carrefour de routes et de chemins, accompagnée par un tilleul quatre fois centenaire, mérite l’intérêt qu’on lui porte.

Parties romanes
Le portail. En position latérale, du côté sud, il est assez sobre, comme la plupart des ouvrages de la seconde moi-tié du XIIe siècle. Ses trois voussures aux arêtes bordées par un tore et des filets reposent sur des chapiteaux à feuillages stylisés, avec la présence de perlettes fréquentes à cette époque en Mellois. Il ouvre sur une travée habitée seule-ment, hormis la grande cuve octogonale d’un baptistère, par la base du clocher.
Le clocher. Il est planté là, isolé à l’intérieur de cette première travée, comme une sorte de tour carrée à côtés étroits, couverts de marques de tacherons. Ses quatre piles à colonnes engagées soutiennent des chapiteaux dont les corbeilles sont en nids d’abeilles, à feuillages, et avec des oiseaux à têtes humaines barbues. Eux-mêmes portent une petite coupole octogonale sur des pendentifs triangulaires plats, à la manière limousine. Un mur et un arc de soutien le contrebutent, dans un axe différent de celui de la nef. À l’extérieur, il garde d’abord son plan carré, avec sur chaque face deux baies sous un arc de décharge. Leurs piédroits ornés de dents de scie, les fines colonnettes qui les encadrent, en font un ensemble élégant. Au-dessus des baies, la tour devient circulaire, épaulée par quatre tourillons. La flèche est ensuite octogonale, couverte d’écailles en dents de scie, pointe en bas, les arêtes ornées de petites crosses. C‘est le seul clocher roman en pierre conservé dans tout le Mellois, précieux témoin. Il contient deux cloches : la plus petite fondue par Moyne (Poitiers) en 1807, refondue en 1949 par Louis Bollée à Orléans ; la seconde, « Pierre-Henriette », bénie en 1866. Parties gothiques Le plan intérieur correspond bien à ce que laissaient pressentir à l’extérieur les contreforts couverts de lauzes, à savoir une nef simple à deux travées de taille égale, la travée du chœur ayant seule une baie du côté nord, toujours mieux protégé. Une grande baie au chevet plat et deux autres au sud donnent une lumière suffisante. Les voûtes sont en croisées d’ogives quadripartites. Trois clefs de voûtes armoriées permettent de dater l’ensemble du milieu du XVe siècle :
- celle du chœur, de Guillaume de La Rochefoucauld, seigneur de Melleran († 1487) ;
- celle du centre, de Marguerite de Torsay († 1463), mariée au précédent avant 1445 ;
- celle vers l’entrée, de Renée de Beauvau (quatre lionceaux) mariée à Philippe de La Rochefoucauld (1461-1488).

Sur les murs et les voûtes, de nombreux sondages laissent deviner sous les badigeons un ensemble de peintures et litres funéraires des XVe et XVIe siècles. On doit aussi à Marguerite de Torsay la fondation de la chapelle Sainte-Marguerite, ouverte sur la première travée sud, simplement charpentée. Elle renferme un tombeau dit des seigneurs et dames de Melleran, sous forme d’un grand bloc de maçonnerie édifié sans doute au-dessus du vrai tombeau pour éviter une profanation. Un ancien baptistère maçonné y est tout aussi massif. On y trouve encore, reléguée, une toile représentant Sainte Marthe ou Sainte Marguerite (XVIIIe siècle ?), à restaurer. A l’extérieur, la fenêtre du chevet porte la date de 1615, et dans le mur nord du chœur a été inséré ce qui semble une vieille enseigne, de maître Valet, orfèvre, datée 1670. A l’intérieur, au mur de chevet, un grand retable classique surmonte l’ancien maître-autel, avec quatre colonnes de pierre peintes en faux marbre. Il abrite un tabernacle à ailes en bois peint et doré, à quatre colonnes torses. Sur sa porte, l’Agneau de Dieu, sur ses côtés, les bustes de Jean, barbu, (ou du Christ ?) et de Marie ; sur les ailes, Pierre et Paul.

ParvisPoitiers : (visit link)

Merimee : (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Eglise Notre Dame de Melleran, France 4/29/2020 sara et gege visited it