Eglise Saint-Junien - Vaussais, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 07.238 E 000° 06.518
31T E 276605 N 5111516
Quick Description: In the town center. Dans le centre ville.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 12/6/2019 12:52:02 AM
Waymark Code: WM11QWV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 5

Long Description:
source forecourt Poitiers:
Dependence of the chapter of Limoges, ...
... Vaussais appears in the Life of Saint Junian in the 9th century. This hermit of the 6th century, contemporary of Saint Radegonde, had, indeed, set near Vaussais, Maire-L'Evescault. The church of Vaussais will be placed under his name.
The important date is nevertheless that of 1013, which sees the church of Vaussais given to the chapter of the Saint-Etienne cathedral of Limoges, addiction that will not end until 1790. It is undoubtedly this great patronage which explains the presence in Vaussais from a
church of such dimensions although it is neither collegiate nor abbatial or prior.
One will not fail to be surprised by the imposing right chevet, austere wall pierced by three narrow bays semicircular. Its powerful triangular gable, since the restorations started in 1979, culminates at about twenty meters, which is barely greater than its width. At the junction of the gable, a molded cornice is supported by 22 sculpted modillions in the shape of a bay leaf.
The north and south walls of the chorus-transept ensemble also have a large chamfered cornice and the same austere aspect. There are 9 modillions in the south and 19 in the north. The south wall widens, a few tens of centimeters from the ground, a slight horizontal projection which extends, wider, at the bedside. he
This is an "assembly bench", called in the country "Pierron", meeting place where sat and chat young and old.

The cover was reconstituted in lauzes during the last restorations. The bell tower, seated at the crossing of the transept, is stocky and square. On each side, two small semicircular bays are pierced in blind arches under discharge arches with balusters and bare capitals. The faces facing south and west are accosted by a truncated tower which must have been a watchtower. The bell, melted in 1806 in Poitiers by Migne and Sureau, bears the name of Junien-Nicolas and Cécile. On the south wall is the turret of the spiral staircase leading to the bell tower. On its left, a door gives access to the interior of the building.



source parvis Poitiers :
Dépendance du chapitre de Limoges, ...
… Vaussais apparaît dans la Vie de saint Junien au 9 e siècle. Cet ermite du 6 e siècle, contemporain de sainte Radegonde, s'était, en effet, fixé non loin de Vaussais, à Mairé-L'Evescault. L'église de Vaussais sera placée sous son vocable.
La date importante est néanmoins celle de 1013, qui voit l'église de Vaussais donnée au chapitre de la cathédrale Saint-Etienne de Limoges, dépendance qui ne prendra fin qu'en 1790. C'est sans doute ce grand patronage qui explique la présence à Vaussais d'une
église de telles dimensions bien qu'elle ne soit ni collégiale, ni abbatiale ou priorale.
On ne manquera pas d'être surpris par l'imposant chevet droit, paroi austère percée de trois étroites baies en plein cintre. Son puissant pignon triangulaire, depuis les restaurations commencées en 1979, culmine à une vingtaine de mètres, ce qui est à peine supérieur à sa largeur. A la jonction du pignon, une corniche moulurée est supportée par 22 modillons sculptés en forme de feuille de laurier.
Les murs nord et sud de l'ensemble chœur-transept présentent aussi une large corniche chanfreinée et un même aspect austère. On compte 9 modillons au sud et 19 au nord. Le mur sud s'élargit, à quelques dizaines de centimètres du sol, d'une légère saillie horizontale qui se prolonge, plus large, au chevet. Il
s'agit d'un "banc d'assemblée", appelé dans le pays "pierron", lieu de rencontre où venaient s'asseoir et bavarder jeunes et anciens.

La couverture a été reconstituée en lauzes lors des dernières restaurations. Le clocher, assis à la croisée du transept, est trapu et carré. Sur chaque face, deux petites baies en plein cintre sont percées dans des arcades aveugles sous arcs de décharge à colonnettes et chapiteaux nus. Les faces tournées au sud et à l'ouest sont accostées par une tour tronquée qui a dû être une tour de guet. La cloche, fondue en 1806 à Poitiers par Migne et Sureau, porte le nom de Junien-Nicolas et Cécile. Au mur sud fait saillie la tourelle de l'escalier en vis qui mène au clocher. A sa gauche, une porte donne accès à l'intérieur de l'édifice.

ParvisPoitiers : (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Eglise Saint-Junien - Vaussais, France 3/29/2020 sara et gege visited it