By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

La place de l'Ange - Pertuis, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 41.741 E 005° 30.208
31T E 701739 N 4841120
Quick Description: La place de l'Ange à Pertuis, France
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 12/3/2019 11:30:47 AM
Waymark Code: WM11QFR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 0

Long Description:
FR Sur l'ancienne photo, une carte postale datée du début du XXe siècle, on peut voir la célèbre place de l'Ange avec son orme, aujourd'hui mort et retiré.
Un groupe de Pertuisiens, dont des enfants, posent près de la fontaine.

Sur ma photo les maisons ont été restaurées et l'orme supprimé mais la fontaine est restée la même.

La place de l'Ange
Située au quartier Royère, elle date,de la première extension de la ville des XIIe - XIIIe siècles. C'est le cœur de la Vieille Ville. L'origine de nom reste inconnue. Au Moyen Age, c'est ici que coule la seule source de la ville, eau miraculeuse à l 'origine de la cité. Il semble qu'il n'y ait jamais eu d'ange sur la fontaine, ou ailleurs sur la place, hypothèse pourtant chère aux Pertuisiens.
Le four banal de l'Ange, où la population devait faire cuire son pain, ainsi que l'un des cinq moulins a huile, se trouvaient a proximité : le four, à l'arrière de la maison des Consuls, le moulin, au début de la rue Fontaine.
A la·fin du XVIIIe siècle, la vue en perspective montre une place animée, aux façades bien ordonnancées. Il n'en, subsiste que quelques exemples.

La maison, dite des Consuls.
Avec son bossage d'angle et sa niche à saint en cul-de-four, celle maison de notable aurait été construite au XVIIe siècle par la famille Spigoni ou Espagne qui donna à la ville de nombreux consuls.
Ses façades ont été remaniées au XVIII siècle, ses croisées remplacées par de larges fenêtres surmontées d'arcs segmentaires. On remarquera la très belle porte d'origine encadrée de deux têtes sculptées et son imposte ornée d'une grille en fer forgé.

Dans les années 1900, un orme ombrageait la place. De nombreux petits commerces l'entouraient. Les maisons de notables étaient déjà bien dégradées, mais on allait toujours chercher l'eau à la vieille fontaine...
La plus ancienne fontaine de la ville est la seule source à l 'intérieur des remparts. La deuxième source, dite de "l'Aubarestière" était situé place de la Diane. Au début du XVIe siècle, l'eau est insuffisante pour la population, en forte augmentation. Le conseil de ville décide de dériver l'eau de l'abondante Font de Viade qui sourd à la limite des terroirs de Pertuis et de la Tour d'Aigues. Cela n'alla pas sans contestation armée des Tourrains !
Un arbitrage dut alors intervenir et le seigneur de La Tour d'Aigues, François de Boliers, ne céda l'eau de Viade que contre 200 coupes de bon et vieux vin rouge !
En 1509. la fontaine de l'Ange est reconstruite. L'état actuel date de 1620 : bassin octogonal, urne godronnée au centre dont les quatre masques, usés par le temps déversent l'eau.

La maison dite de François Ier
Le 5 octobre 1522,, après 1'invasion de la Provence par Charles Quint, François Ier en route pour l'Italie aurait été accueilli dans cette demeure.
C'est Antoine de Chabert syndic de Pertuis qui présenta au roi les requêtes de la ville tendant à obtenir réparation des dommages subis pendant la guerre. Le roi accéda à toutes ces demandes et le nom de François 1er resta dès lors attaché à la maison des de Chabert.
La maison actuelle. à l'angle de la rue Saint-Pierre, fut édifiée plus tard, à la fin du XVI• siècle, par l'un des descendants de cette famille.
Les croisées à meneaux de la façade principale, place de l'Ange se devinent encore. Un imposant cordon moulu ré. soutenu par des consoles à feuilles d'acanthe, souligne le 1er étage. Mais c'est le portail monumental de la rue Saint-Pierre de style maniériste, très semblable à celui de la maison dite de la Reine Jeanne qui évoque l'ancienne richesse de cette demeure.
EN On the old photo, a postcard from the early 20th century, you can see the famous Place de l'Ange with its elm tree, now dead and retired.
A group of Pertuisians, including children, pose near the fountain.

On my photoHouses have been restored and the elm removed but the fountain has remained the same.

The Place of the Angel
Located in the Royère district, it dates back to the first extension of the city in the 12th - 13th centuries. It is the heart of the Old City. The origin of the name remains unknown. In the Middle Ages, it was here that the only spring of the city flowed, the miraculous water at the origin of the city. It seems that there has never been an angel on the fountain, or elsewhere in the square, a hypothesis that is dear to the Pertuisians.
The Ange's ordinary oven, where the population had to bake their bread, as well as one of the five oil mills, were nearby: the oven, at the back of the Consuls' house, the mill, at the beginning of rue Fontaine.
At the end of the 18th century, the view in perspective shows a lively square, with well-ordered facades. Only a few examples remain.

The house, called the Consuls' house.
With its corner boss and its niche in the cul-de-four saint, the notable's house was built in the 17th century by the Spigoni family or Spain, who gave the city many consuls.
Its façades were redesigned in the 18th century, its crossings replaced by large windows topped by segmental arches. Note the very beautiful original door framed by two sculpted heads and its transom decorated with a wrought iron gate.

In the 1900s, an elm tree shaded the square. Many small businesses surrounded it. The houses some notables were already well degraded, but we always went to fetch water from the old fountain...
The oldest fountain in the city is the only source within the walls. The second spring, called "de l'Aubarestière" was located on Place de la Diane. At the beginning of the 16th century, water was insufficient for the rapidly growing population. The town council decided to divert the water from the abundant Font de Viade, which is deaf at the limit of the terroirs of Pertuis and the Tour d'Aigues. This did not go without armed protest from the Tourrains!
An arbitration had to intervene and the lord of La Tour d'Aigues, François de Boliers, only gave up the water of Viade against 200 glasses of good and old red wine!
In 1509, the Fountain of the Angel was rebuilt. The current state dates back to 1620: an octagonal basin, a godred urn in the centre, with four masks, worn out by time, pouring out the water.

The house known as François I's house
On October 5, 1522, after the invasion of Provence by Charles V, Francis I on his way to Italy was reportedly welcomed into this residence.
It was Antoine de Chabert, syndic of Pertuis, who presented the king with the city's requests for compensation for the damage suffered during the war. The king granted all these requests and the name of Francis I remained attached to the house of the de Chabert family.
The present house, at the corner of rue Saint-Pierre, was built later, at the end of the 16th century, by one of the descendants of this family.
The mullioned crosses on the main façade, Place de l'Ange, can still be guessed. An imposing ground cordon supported by acanthus leaf consoles underlines the 1st floor. But it is the monumental Mannerist portal on rue Saint-Pierre, very similar to that of the so-called Queen Jeanne's house, which evokes the ancient richness of this residence.
Year photo was taken: early 20th century

Visit Instructions:

To log a visit to each spot you are required to take your own photo. Alternatively you can tell a story about your own experience at the location or any unique information about that location to count as a visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Photos Then and Now
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.