By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Fort Napoléon - Terre-de-Haut, Les Saintes, Guadeloupe
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 15° 52.500 W 061° 34.950
20P E 651767 N 1755622
Quick Description: [EN] Fort Napoleon is a fort located on the island of Terre-de-Haut, in the Saintes archipelago in Guadeloupe. [FR] Le fort Napoléon est un fort situé sur l'île de Terre-de-Haut, dans l'archipel des Saintes en Guadeloupe.
Location: Guadeloupe
Date Posted: 11/8/2019 4:51:57 PM
Waymark Code: WM11KR4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"On the island of Terre-de-Haut in the Saintes archipelago, 114 meters above sea level, about a quarter of an hour's walk from the pier, the Vauban-style Fort Napoleon overlooks the beautiful bay of Saintes.

Built on the site of the first fort called Fort Louis which was destroyed by the English in 1809. It flees rebuilt and completed in 1864 and named Fort Napoleon in honor of Napoleon III who also never came to the Saintes.

This superb fortress did not serve either fortress but penitentiary.

On the ground floor, the four rooms of the main building are located above a huge 350,000m3 cistern, designed to allow water autonomy in case of siege.

On the floor, a museum was arranged; it is devoted to the knowledge of the history and the natural environment of the island: models and reduced models retrace the famous battle of Saintes of 1782.

Transformed into a small museum on the history of the Saintes and its cultural environment, its visit deserves the displacement as much as the path that leads there, from where one overhangs almost the whole of the island. "

Sources : The Fort

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Sur l’île de Terre-de-Haut dans l’archipel des Saintes, à 114 mètres d’altitude, à environ un quart d’heure de marche de l’embarcadère, le Fort Napoléon de style Vauban surplombe la jolie baie des Saintes.

Bâti sur l’emplacement du premier fort appelé Fort Louis qui fut détruit par les Anglais en 1809. Il fuit reconstruit et achevé en 1864 et nommé Fort Napoléon en l’honneur de Napoléon III qui d’ailleurs ne vint jamais aux Saintes.

Cette superbe forteresse ne servit pas non plus de forteresse mais de pénitencier.

Au rez-de-chaussée, les quatre pièces du bâtiment principal se trouvent au dessus d’une énorme citerne de 350 000m3, conçue pour permettre une autonomie en eau en cas de siège.

A l’étage, un musée a été aménagé; il est consacré à la connaissance de l’histoire et du milieu naturel de l’île : maquettes et modèles réduits retracent la fameuse bataille des Saintes de 1782.

Transformé en petit musée sur l’histoire des Saintes et son environnement culturel, sa visite mérite le déplacement tout autant que le chemin qui y mène, d’où on surplomble la quasi-totalité de l’île. "

Sources : Le Fort

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Fort Napoléon - Terre-de-Haut, Les Saintes, Guadeloupe 11/8/2019 pmaupin visited it