By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Visitors Book - St John the Baptist - Harringworth, Northamptonshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 34.028 W 000° 38.956
30U E 659320 N 5826716
Quick Description: Visitors book inside St John the Baptist's church, Harringworth.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/8/2019 1:23:45 PM
Waymark Code: WM11KQP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
Visitors book inside St John the Baptist's church, Harringworth. Started in May 1980.

"The Church of St John the Baptist is a Grade 1 listed structure, and has a 12th Century Tower, with a 14th Century spire, with carved heads (one with its tongue sticking out!) The top of the spire was renewed in 1892. In the tower and on the church walls are lists of benefactions to the Parish.

The original porch was 15th Century, North door 14th Century, and South doorway 15th Century. The Porch was rebuilt at various times, and last in 1909. The arches are 13th Century, the outer one having dog-tooth moulding. The inner arch is supported by one of the Tudor period.

The Nave has 14ft Century arcades with four arches on each side. Most of the South Aisle roofs are original, and have old bosses of curving stone. The Tryon family are buried in the vault in the North Aisle, the ornate wrought iron work is thought to be by Jean Tijou (1650-1712).

The interior of the Church has many carved heads, especially in the South- west comer of the North Aisle. The exterior has double-gabled buttresses on the South aisle, and two grotesques at the East end of the Chancel.

The Church was thoroughly restored during the incumbency of Rev. F.S. Edmonds, Vicar 1886-1898, and the work was completed in 1892. The Nave had been previously seated with box pews facing North, and the Pulpit placed with its back to the Tryon vault.

The East Window was the gift of the parishioners and others, in memory of those who gave their lives in the l9l4 -1918 war.

The Hatchment with the arms of the Tryon and Brereton families was to Thomas Tryon who died in 1825.

One ancient carved bench end survives beside the North door. The organ was formerly in Deene Church, Northants. The Vestry was possibly made from a family pew. The large hook is to remove burning material from thatches.

The tower contains 6 bells and a clock, which was erected in 1877, at a cost of £100 by Lt. Col. Tryon (Kelly’s Directory 1940)."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Date Guest Book Was Started: 5/5/1980

Location Type: Attraction/Business

Owners Name: Not listed

Nearest Parking Spot: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Visits to Guest books must:

- Include recording your visit in the Book with either your real name followed by (WM) or real name followed by (waymarking username).
- Not involve any inappropriate writing in the Guest Book (use common sense)
- Conform to the intended use of the Guest Book. - include a photo of guest book AND the site required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Guest Books
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.