By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

musee du Donjon - Niort, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 19.528 W 000° 27.895
30T E 695140 N 5133332
Quick Description: In the town center. Dans le centre ville.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 11/5/2019 1:22:50 AM
Waymark Code: WM11K5X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MikeGolfJ3
Views: 0

Long Description:
Wikipedia source:
The Norman invasions of the ninth century forced the inhabitants of the Bessac loop to seek refuge on the opposite bank.

He first built a castle the "Niortensis Castri". In 1104, this castle was destroyed by a fire.

On April 19, 1134, William IX, father of Eleanor of Aquitaine, count of Poitou, signs in the courtyard of the castle, a charter in favor of the abbey of Fontevrault.

Eleanor of Aquitaine married Henry II Plantagenet in 1154.

It was Henry II Plantagenet, King of England and husband of Alienor of Aquitaine, who began construction around 1180.

It is his sons, Richard the Lionheart and John Lackland, who see the completion and confirm a Charter in Niort.

He raised at the same time a defense "advanced" on the Sèvre: Fort Foucault.

Today alone, the dungeon remained intact, thus becoming a witness of the 12th century military architecture.

It is Catherine de Medici, passing through Niort in 1587 opened a door more accessible.

Before this development, only an iron gate on the Sèvre allowed the monumental entrance of the Donjon.

In the 15th century, the Dungeon undergoes some modifications, architectural.

The Dungeon also called Castle, witnessed many abuses ...

It says in a newspaper:

"On the 23rd of April, 1633, there was a tumult at Nyort, and the city was killed by people who retired to the Castle and the following days. "
In 1748, the exterior facing of the north tower was detached.

The work undertaken was not up to par and on September 14, 1748, the North Tower collapsed.

The total demolition of the dungeon was considered, only his conversion to prison saved him from the demolition.

The North Tower was rebuilt after 1749, thanks to the engineer Artus, but with a lower height.

May 14, 1791, the city buys the castle then it became the following year the property of the department.

The city will not have to pay for its acquisition of Château.

The imperial decree of August 7th, 1808, returned to Niort, gives the Castle to the city under the condition of leaving the Donjon to the department to serve as prison.

Part of the Donjon esplanade was transformed into Old Botanical Garden (see photo of the project).

In 1817, a royal decree asked the city to design a vast urban plan.

This development disrupts the interior of the Donjon enclosure.

The Prefecture of Deux-Sèvres was inaugurated in 1832.

In turn, English and French, depending on the situation of the city, the Dungeon has long been a stronghold.

In 1853, the detainees left the dungeon to occupy the new Niort Prison.

After the Revolution, it was transformed into prison and, from 1896, into an ethnographic museum.



source Wikipedia :
Les invasions normandes du IXe siècle obligèrent les habitants de la boucle de Bessac à chercher refuge sur la berge opposée.

Il construisirent d’abord un château-fort le « Niortensis Castri ». En 1104, ce château fut détruit par un incendie.

Le 19 avril 1134, Guillaume IX, père d’Aliénor d’Aquitaine, comte du Poitou, signe dans la cour du château, une charte en faveur de l’abbaye de Fontevrault.

Aliénor d'Aquitaine épousa Henri II Plantagenêt en 1154.

C'est Henri II Plantagenêt, roi d'Angleterre et mari d'Alienor d'Aquitaine, qui lance sa construction vers 1180.

Ce sont ses fils, Richard Cœur de Lion et Jean sans Terre, qui en voient l'achèvement et confirme une Charte à Niort.

Il fit élever au même moment une défense "avancée" sur la Sèvre : le Fort Foucault.

Aujourd’hui seul, le donjon est resté intact, devenant ainsi, un témoin de l’architecture militaire du XIIe siècle.

C’est Catherine de Médicis, de passage à Niort en 1587 fit ouvrir une porte plus accessible.

Avant cet aménagement, seule une porte de fer sur la Sèvre permettait l’entée monumentale du Donjon.

Au XVe siècle, le Donjon subit quelques modifications, architecturales.

Le Donjon appelé aussi Château, fut le témoin de nombreuses exactions...

On peut lire dans un journal :

« Le 23 avril 1633, y eut tumulte à Nyort et se tua du monde de la ville par gens qui se retirèrent au Château et les jours suivants. »
En 1748, le parement extérieur de la tour nord se détacha.

Les travaux entrepris ne furent pas à la hauteur et le 14 septembre 1748, la Tour Nord s’écroula.

La démolition totale du Donjon fut envisagée, seule, sa reconversion en prison le sauva de la démolition.

La Tour Nord fut reconstruite après 1749, grâce à l’ingénieur Artus, mais avec une hauteur plus faible.

Le 14 mai 1791, la ville achète le château puis il devint l’année suivante la propriété du département.

La ville n’aura pas à solder son acquisition de Château.

Le décret impérial du 7 août 1808, rendu à Niort, donne le Château à la ville sous la condition de laisser le Donjon au département pour servir de prison.

Une partie de l’esplanade du Donjon fut transformée en Ancien jardin botanique (Voir photo du projet).

En 1817, une ordonnance royale demande à la ville de concevoir un vaste plan d’urbanisme.

Cet aménagement bouleverse l’intérieur de l’enceinte du Donjon.

La Préfecture des Deux-Sèvres fut inaugurée en 1832.

Tour à tour, Anglais puis Français, au gré de la situation de la ville, le Donjon a longtemps été une place forte.

En 1853, les détenus quittent le Donjon, pour occuper la nouvelle Prison de Niort.

Après la Révolution, le voici transformé en prison puis, à partir de 1896, en musée ethnographique.

Wiki Niort : (visit link)
Theme:
Musée ethnologique. histoire du Donjon et de la ville de Niort


Street Address:
rue du Guesclin, 79000 Niort


Hours of Operation:
Le musée du Donjon est ouvert au public du mardi au dimanche. Du 1er juin au 30 septembre Du mardi au vendredi de 10h à 13h et de 14h à 18h Jeudi de 10h à 20h Samedi et dimanche de 14h à 19h Fermé le lundi Du 1er octobre au 31 mai Du mardi au vendredi de 10h à 13h et de 14h à 17h Jeudi de 10h à 17h Samedi et dimanche de 14h à 18h Fermé le lundi Fermeture les 1er mai, 1er novembre, 25 décembre et 1er janvier.


Cost: 5.00 (listed in local currency)

Museum Size: Medium

Relevant Web Site: [Web Link]

Food Court: Not Listed

Gift Shop: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
In order to log this waymark in this category, you must be able to provide proof of your visit. Please post a picture of yourself or your GPSr in front some identifiable feature or point of interest either in the museum, or on the museum grounds.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest History Museums
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.