Nicholson War Memorial Clock Tower - Leek, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 53° 06.333 W 002° 01.235
30U E 565567 N 5884460
Quick Description: This square clock tower with a clock face on all four sides forms part of a WWI war memorial.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/1/2019 4:13:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM11JHK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 3

Long Description:
A nearby information board has information about the history of the memorial.
The Facts

• 90 feet or 27m high
• Constructed from Portland stone (exterior), and red brick (interior).
• Designed by Thomas Worthington & Sons of Manchester.
• Built by E.A. Frith of Macclesfield with additional works by Mr Thomas Grace of Leek.
• The four clock faces are 2.06m in diameter and the five bells weigh 1.2 metric tonnes.
• Cost £16,000 or approximately £670,000 in 2011.
• Stands on the site formerly known as Sparrow Park. The area was also used as a cattle market and for community entertainments.
• Commemorates 535 men and women of Leek who died during the First and Second World Wars.

In Loving Memory

Sir Arthur Nicholson, a major silk manufacturer in Leek, and Lady Marianne Nicholson commissioned and paid for this memorial in memory of their son, Basil, and all the sons of Leek who died in the First World War.

Lieutenant Basil Lee Nicholson was an officer in the Old Leek Battery, a mounted territorial unit of the Royal Field Artillery. He was shot and killed by a sniper just off the Menin Road at Ypres, Belgium in 1915, and is buried in Dranoutre Churchyard; he was just 24 years old.

The names of the battles that the Leek Battery fought in are recorded around the top of the building; Somme and Ypres will be familiar names but the others were also the scenes of vicious fighting between 1914 and 1918.

The majority of the Fallen commemorated here from both World Wars fought and died with infantry regiments, notably the North Staffords and the Royal Fusiliers. A number were lost serving with the Royal Navy or the Royal Air Force.

Cherished and Prized for all time

In 2011 Leek Town Council sought and received funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to restore the building. The Council continues to maintain and preserve the Nicholson War Memorial as they were charged to do by Sir Arthur Nicholson when he formally handed it over on the 20th August 1925. This dedication ceremony was attended by many thousands of Leek people and presided over by Basil's elder brother Lt Colonel Falkner Nicholson.

Further information can be found at

You can download our self-guide leaflet, audio-tour or find the date of the next guided tour or Remembrance Service.

To learn more about Leek's history you can visit the local history archives at the Nicholson Institute, located between the museum and art gallery.
Each of the clock faces has a white face with black roman numerals to mark the time. The hands are also black.

The centre of the clock face has an eight pointed star design picked out in gold. The outer edges of the central design are encircled with a gold line. The roman numerals are also bounded by golden circles and outside the numerals there are black dots marking the individual minutes agin with a golden circle.
Status: Working

Display: Mounted

Year built: 8/20/1925

Web link to additional info: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Gushoneybun visited Nicholson War Memorial Clock Tower - Leek, UK 5/8/2020 Gushoneybun visited it