By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Abbaye aux Dames - Saintes, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 45° 44.681 W 000° 37.485
30T E 684763 N 5068425
Quick Description: in the town center. Dans le centre ville.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 10/27/2019 7:51:17 AM
Waymark Code: WM11HHP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 2

Long Description:
source Abbaye aux Dames:
The early church and its Latin cross plan was smaller than the current building. The walls were lower and thin and the whole was covered with a wooden frame. It undergoes important transformations from the end of the eleventh century to the middle of the twelfth century. A bell tower is built and a new facade is rebuilt a little ahead of that of the eleventh century. Since the original plan no longer had to meet liturgical requirements, the main vessel was unified and covered with domes. The latter are ruined by the fire of 1648. Wooden ceilings have today replaced the Romanesque stone roof. Jewel of the Romanesque art saintongeais, the western facade was developed in the twelfth century. The style developed on it spreads throughout the Saintonge (A Colombiers, Marignac or Avy-en-Pons, but also on the church of Aulnay, north of the department of Charente-Maritime). The elegant silhouette of the bell tower rises, with its conical shaped dome covered with stone scales, reminiscent of the shape of a pine cone. The carved decoration is rich and abundant. We find Weighing Souls and Holy Women at the Tomb, as well as characters and animals mixed with plants.


History of the Abbaye aux Dames, the musical city
The Abbaye aux Dames has been a unique place since it was founded in 1047.
These ladies, powerful and independent abbesses, carried high values ??of spirituality and enterprise. A millennium of a tormented history of which remains a continuity of influence. The abbey enjoys this radiation and perpetuates it.
Today a musical city, it is a common good.


1047
The Abbaye aux Dames was founded in 1047, at the initiative of Geoffroy Martel, Count of Anjou, and his wife Agnès de Bourgogne.
The Abbaye aux Dames, since its creation, is richly endowed. Most of its possessions (including the priories of Corme-Royal and Pont-l'Abbé-d'Arnoult) are located west of Saintes, along the roads that serve the salt marsh areas around Marennes. They are, over time, preserved and enriched by new donations.

Around 1120-1130
The church is enlarged. Bell tower construction and construction of the western facade.

1610 and 1648
In the seventeenth century, Saintes has the second largest abbey in France after that of Fontevraud! At the same time, two successive fires caused great damage and the convent buildings were completely rebuilt under the leadership of Abbess Françoise de Foix.
In the eighteenth century, some relaxation is felt within the monastery and the abbey must sell some of his property.


1792
At the Revolution, the buildings are transformed into prison and, by an imperial decree of 1808, in barracks.
1924
In 1924, the city bought the church and had the first restoration done.


1939
The church is returned to worship.

1972
Creation of the Old Music Festival.

It allows the establishment of a complete restoration program of the site. The monastic buildings, abandoned after the war, are restored in the years 1970-1980 thanks to the creation of the music festival in 1972.




source Abbaye aux Dames :
L’église primitive et son plan en croix latine était de dimension plus modeste que l’édifice actuel. Les murs étaient moins hauts et peu épais et l’ensemble était couvert d’une charpente en bois. Celle-ci connaît d’importantes transformations de la fin du XIe siècle jusqu’au milieu du XIIe siècle. Un clocher est édifié et une nouvelle façade est reconstruite un peu en avant de celle du XIe siècle. Le plan d’origine ne devant plus convenir aux exigences liturgiques, le vaisseau principal est unifié et couvert de coupoles. Ces dernières sont ruinées par l’incendie de 1648. Des plafonds en bois ont aujourd’hui remplacé la couverture de pierre romane. Joyau de l’art roman saintongeais, la façade occidentale a été élaborée au XIIe siècle. Le style développé sur celle-ci se diffuse dans toute la Saintonge (A Colombiers, Marignac ou Avy-en-Pons, mais aussi sur l’église d’Aulnay, au nord du département de la Charente-Maritime). L’élégante silhouette du clocher s’élève, avec son dôme de forme conique et recouvert d’écailles de pierre, qui rappelle la forme d’une pomme de pin. Le décor sculpté est riche et foisonnant. On retrouve la Pesée des Âmes et les Saintes femmes au Tombeau ainsi que des personnages et des animaux mêlés à des végétaux.



Histoire de l’Abbaye aux Dames, la cité musicale
L’Abbaye aux Dames est un lieu singulier depuis sa fondation en 1047.
Ces dames, de puissantes et indépendantes abbesses, ont porté haut des valeurs de spiritualité et d’entreprise. Un millénaire d‘une histoire tourmentée dont demeure une continuité d’influence. L’abbaye jouit de ce rayonnement et le perpétue.
Aujourd’hui cité musicale, elle est un bien commun.


1047
L’Abbaye aux Dames est fondée en 1047, à l’initiative de Geoffroy Martel, comte d’Anjou, et de son épouse Agnès de Bourgogne.
L’Abbaye aux Dames, dès sa création, est richement dotée. La plupart de ses possessions (dont les prieurés de Corme-Royal et de Pont-l’Abbé-d’Arnoult) sont établies à l’ouest de Saintes, le long des chemins qui desservent les zones de marais salants situés autour de Marennes. Elles sont, au fil du temps, préservées et enrichies par de nouveaux dons.

Vers 1120-1130
L’église est agrandie. Construction du clocher et chantier de la façade occidentale.

1610 et 1648
Au XVIIe siècle, Saintes possède la seconde plus importante abbaye de France après celle de Fontevraud ! À la même période, deux incendies successifs causent de grands dommages et les bâtiments conventuels sont entièrement reconstruits sous la conduite de l’abbesse Françoise de Foix.
Au XVIIIe siècle, un certain relâchement se fait sentir au sein du monastère et l’abbaye doit vendre une partie de ses biens.


1792
À la Révolution, les bâtiments sont transformés en prison puis, par un décret impérial de 1808, en caserne.
1924
En 1924, la ville rachète l’église et fait entreprendre les premières restaurations.


1939
L’église est rendue au culte.

1972
Création du Festival de Musique Ancienne.

Il permet la mise en place d’un programme de restauration complète du site. Les bâtiments monastiques, abandonnés après la guerre, sont restaurés dans les années 1970- 1980 grâce à la création du festival de musique en 1972.

Abbaye aux Dames : (visit link)
Web site proof of Romanesque features: [Web Link]

Date of origin: 1/1/1100

Type of building (structure): Abbey/Monastery

Address:
11 place de l'abbaye, 17100 Saintes


Architect(s) if known: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Romanesque Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.