By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Red Telephone Box - Ridlington, Rutland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 36.969 W 000° 44.913
30U E 652422 N 5831951
Quick Description: A red telephone box on Main Street, Ridlington.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/27/2019 3:50:45 AM
Waymark Code: WM11HGT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member greysman
Views: 0

Long Description:
A red telephone box, converted to a defibrillator station, on Main Street, Ridlington.

"The K6 telephone kiosk in Ridlington, Rutland, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It has a strong visual relationship with four listed buildings * It is a representative example within a village setting of this important C20 industrial design.

The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. It retains all glass windows. There is minor structural damage in the form of two fractures to the dome pillar supports.

The kiosk stands on a grass verge at the edge of Main Street in the centre of the village. Approximately 12m to the south west stands Chimney Cottage (Grade II) and further down the road, approximately 30m to the south west of the kiosk, stands 1 Church Lane (Grade II). Manor Farmhouse (Grade II) is situated on the opposite side of the street, approximately 45m to the north west. The church of St Mary and St Andrew stands at the road junction to the west of the kiosk. It is located at a distance of approximately 60m, yet still has a strong visual relationship with the kiosk when approached from the north east. The kiosk has a strong visual relationship with this group of listed buildings collectively.

HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Colour: It's red!

Is it in its original position?: Yes

Is there a working telephone in it?: No

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Red Telephone Boxes
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.