Chapelle Notre-Dame de Conversion - Avignon, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 56.901 E 004° 48.739
31T E 645427 N 4867732
Quick Description: Une chapelle qui devient, le temps du Festival d'Avignon, une salle de spectacle
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 10/27/2019 12:20:30 AM
Waymark Code: WM11HFT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
FR La chapelle
Le mémoire intitulé «Origine et établissement de la congrégation des pauvres hommes d'Avignon», conservé dans le fonds du chapitre de la collégiale Saint-Pierre, pour lequel il fut rédigé après 1760, retrace les premiers temps de la congrégation qui voit le jour sous l'épiscopat de Mgr de Gonteri, en 1734.

L'auteur fait remonter l'inspiration de la fondation à la vice-légation d'Alaman Salviati (1711-1717). Il associe l'aumône généreuse du prélat au souci de l'édification des âmes qui anime les prêtres diocésains et situe topographiquement les débuts de l'œuvre au sein même du palais apostolique. Le texte lie la naissance des deux congrégations, féminine et masculine, la première étant légèrement plus précoce. Les directeurs de la congrégation des hommes, sous le titre de Notre Dame des pauvres, sont des prêtres séculiers, membres des chapitres collégiaux et paroissiaux de la ville et de la métropole Notre-Dame des Doms.

Cette œuvre est accueillie dans l'église des religieuses dominicaines de Sainte-Praxède, de 1734 à 1736, puis dans celle du couvent de Saint-Martial de 1736 à 1757. En 1749 les directeurs de la congrégation achètent deux maisons, rue Philonarde, voisines de la chapelle du monastère de la Visitation Sainte-Marie. Sur cet emplacement, le chantier de construction de la chapelle commence en 1751, sous la direction de l'architecte François Lamy qui en a dessiné le projet. Le plan, inscrit dans le bâti environnant, est simple : une nef unique à chevet plat, bordée de chapelles latérales logées entre de grands arcs. La façade, en « antecreuse », forme un arc concave sur la rue Philonarde. Une grande tribune lui est adossée, deux petites tribunes encadrent le chœur et une chaire à prêcher s'élève dans la nef. En annexe et en communication avec l'église sont aménagées au sud-est une sacristie avec logement à l'étage, et à l'opposé en bordure de rue, la maison du concierge.

L'architecte conduit le chantier jusqu'en octobre 1753. Le maçon François Rochas lui succède et supervise les travaux jusqu'à leur terme, en juin 1760.

La consécration de la chapelle, sous le titre de Notre-Dame de Conversion, et le transfert du siège de la congrégation sont célébrés le 14 août 1757. Les charpentiers sont encore à l'œuvre pour couvrir l'édifice. La dernière campagne de travaux commence en 1759, pour la réalisation du plafond en plâtre.

Le chapitre de la collégiale Saint-Pierre, paroisse dont dépend dès lors la congrégation autorise celle-ci à poser une cloche pour convoquer les hommes au service divin et aux exercices spirituels. Il lui octroie aussi le droit de sépulture et de bénédiction des mariages. Le journal du chanoine Franque, signale la réalisation d'un retable en juillet 1770.

La loi du 8 août 1792 entraîne la suppression de la congrégation et la confiscation de ses biens. À compter de cette date, la chapelle va devenir le siège d'une société patriotique, club ou section dite des pauvres hommes, puis de l'Égalité.

À partir de l'an II, elle est donnée à fermage comme magasin de fourrages puis elle est mise en vente, au titre de bien national, le 23 prairial de l'an IV (11 juin 1796). Une société d'actionnaires devient propriétaire de la chapelle dans laquelle se reconstitue la congrégation des pauvres hommes au XIXe siècle. En mars 1914, Joseph Amic signe l'achat de la chapelle. Trente ans plus tard, il en fait apport à l'association La Philonarde dont les statuts sont déposés dans le même temps.

Depuis l'installation de la Mission italienne en ses murs, à la fin des années 1950, la chapelle est connue sous le nom de chapelle de la Mission italienne.

La salle de spectacle
Chaque année, durant le festival d'Avignon, un lieu de spectacle offrant 80 place au public.
EN The chapel
The memoir entitled "Origin and Establishment of the Congregation of the Poor Men of Avignon", kept in the collection of the chapter of the Collegiate Church of Saint Peter, for which it was written after 1760, traces the early days of the congregation that was founded under the episcopacy of Bishop de Gonteri in 1734.

The author traces the inspiration for the foundation back to Alaman Salviati's (1711-1717) vice-delegation. It associates the generous almsgiving of the Prelate with the concern for the edification of souls that animates diocesan priests and places the beginnings of the work topographically within the very heart of the apostolic palace. The text links the birth of the two congregations, female and male, the first being slightly earlier. The directors of the congregation of men, under the title of Our Lady of the Poor, are secular priests, members of the collegiate and parish chapters of the city and metropolis of Our Lady of the Doms.

This work was housed in the church of the Dominican nuns of Sainte-Praxède from 1734 to 1736, then in the church of the convent of Saint-Martial from 1736 to 1757. In 1749 the directors of the congregation bought two houses, rue Philonarde, next to the chapel of the monastery of the Visitation Sainte-Marie. On this site, the construction work on the chapel began in 1751, under the direction of the architect François Lamy, who designed the project. The plan, inscribed in the surrounding building, is simple: a single nave with a flat chevet, bordered by lateral chapels housed between large arches. The facade, in "antecreuse", forms a concave arch on rue Philonarde. A large platform is attached to it, two small stands surround the choir and a pulpit to be preached rises in the nave. In addition and in communication with the church, there is a sacristy on the south-east side with accommodation on the first floor, and on the opposite side of the street, the house of the caretaker.

The architect led the site until October 1753. The mason François Rochas succeeded him and supervised the work until its completion in June 1760.

The consecration of the chapel, under the title of Our Lady of Conversion, and the transfer of the congregation's headquarters were celebrated on August 14, 1757. The carpenters are still at work to cover the building. The last campaign of work began in 1759, for the construction of the plaster ceiling.

The chapter of the Collegiate Church of St. Peter, the parish on which the congregation depends, authorizes it to set a bell to summon men to divine service and spiritual exercises. It also grants her the right to burial and blessing of marriages. The diary of Canon Franca, reports the realization of an altarpiece in July 1770.

The law of 8 August 1792 led to the suppression of the congregation and the confiscation of its property. From that date on, the chapel would become the headquarters of a patriotic society, a club or section called the poor men's section, and then Equality.

From year II onwards, it is given to tenant farming as a fodder store and then it is put up for sale, as a national property, on the 23rd day of prairial in year IV (11 June 1796). A shareholder company became the owner of the chapel in which the congregation of poor men was reconstituted in the 19th century. In March 1914, Joseph Amic signed the purchase of the chapel. Thirty years later, he made a contribution to the association La Philonarde, whose statutes were filed at the same time.

Since the Italian Mission was established within its walls in the late 1950s, the chapel has been known as the Italian Mission Chapel.

The theatre
Every year, during the Avignon festival, a performance venue offering 80 seats to the public.


Source : http://earchives.vaucluse.fr/archives/show/FRAD084_egf_de-1548
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1760

Age of Church building determined by?: Historical Society

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
Rue Paul Saïn
Avignon, France
84000


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.