Collégiale Saint-Didier - Avignon, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 56.807 E 004° 48.407
31T E 644987 N 4867548
Quick Description: La collégiale Saint-Didier d'Avignon est une église gothique édifiée au milieu du xive siècle, classée au titre des monuments historiques le 27 juillet 1983
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 10/26/2019 11:36:00 AM
Waymark Code: WM11HDD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:
FR Première église Saint-Didier
Située au centre de la ville, elle a pris la place d'une vieille église que la tradition hagiographique faisait remonter au viie siècle avec Agricol d'Avignon comme fondateur. Mais le premier texte qui la signale est daté de 1008 lors d'une donation de Saint-Didier et de sa manse faite par l'évêque Rostaing d'Avignon à l'abbaye de Montmajour.

Extérieur de l'église Saint-Didier.
L'édification d'une nouvelle église est due à la présence des papes d'Avignon. Ce fut le cardinal Bertrand de Deaux qui, dans son testament, imposa à ses héritiers de faire construire sur sa succession une église. Cette clause fut avalisée par Innocent VI le 22 novembre 1355. Le prix-fait de sa réalisation fut signé le 4 mai 1356 devant notaire avec 4 lapicides de la région qui ont formé une société pour la construction afin de se partager les profits et les risques. Ces quatre lapicides sont :
* Jean Postier, de Salon-de-Provence, qui a travaillé sur le Palais des Papres,
* Guillaume Ébrard, originaire de Saint-Maximin,
* Guilhem Payslotros, de «Santo molano de insula»., qui se désiste peu après,
* Jaume Laugier, qui doit âtre jeune car c'est son père qui signe.Ils sont placés son le contrôle de Jaume Alasaud, maître maçon originaire d'Avignon. Il a déjà réalisé l'abside de la chapelle Notre-Dame-des-Miracles à partir de 1326, travaillé sur la collégiale de Villeneuve-lès-Avignon en 1333. Il a élevé la tour de Trouillas au Palais des Papes en 1339. En 1340, il supervise l'élévation de murailles du cloître du Palais-Vieux. Il est actif jusqu'en 1366.

L'église a été construite en trois ans et quatre mois et consacrée le 20 septembre 1359. En l'état, cet édifice est considéré comme le plus caractéristique du gothique avignonnais

Mobilier
La collégiale possède deux tableaux de Simon de Châlons intitulés La Flagellation et la Descente du Saint-Esprit. Elle a aussi un Portement de Croix commandité, en 1478, par le Roi René à Francesco Laurana qui orne la première chapelle droite de la collégiale, et devait décorer le maître-autel de l'église des Célestins d'Avignon. Ce bas-relief est considéré comme l'une des toutes premières œuvres de style Renaissance qui existent en France.
EN First church Saint-Didier
Located in the centre of the city, it has taken the place of an old church that the hagiographical tradition goes back to the 6th century with Agricol d'Avignon as its founder. But the first text that mentions it is dated 1008 during a donation from Saint-Didier and his manse made by Bishop Rostaing of Avignon to the abbey of Montmajour.

Outside the Saint-Didier church.
The construction of a new church was due to the presence of the popes of Avignon. It was Cardinal Bertrand de Deaux who, in his will, required his heirs to build a church on his estate. This clause was endorsed by Innocent VI on November 22, 1355. The price of its realization was signed on May 4, 1356 before a notary with 4 local lapicides who formed a construction company to share the profits and risks. These four lapicides are:
* Jean Postier, from Salon-de-Provence, who worked on the Palais des Papres,
* Guillaume Ébrard, from Saint-Maximin,
* Guilhem Payslotros, from "Santo molano de insula", who withdrew shortly afterwards,
* Jaume Laugier, who must be young because it is his father who signs, is in control of Jaume Alasaud, a master mason from Avignon. He had already built the apse of the Notre-Dame-des-Miracles chapel from 1326, and worked on the collegiate church of Villeneuve-lès-Avignon in 1333. He erected the Trouillas Tower at the Pope's Palace in 1339. In 1340, he supervised the construction of the walls of the cloister of the Palais-Vieux. It was active until 1366.

The church was built in three years and four months and consecrated on September 20, 1359. As it stands, this building is considered to be the most characteristic of Avignon Gothic architecture.

Furniture
The collegiate church has two paintings by Simon de Châlons entitled La Flagellation and La Descente du Saint-Esprit. It also has a Cross Carrying, commissioned in 1478 by King René to Francesco Laurana, which adorns the first right-hand chapel of the collegiate church, and was to decorate the main altar of the church of the Celestines of Avignon. This bas-relief is considered one of the earliest Renaissance works in France.


Source : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coll%C3%A9giale_Saint-Didier_d%27Avignon
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1359

Age of Church building determined by?: Cornerstone or plaque

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
Place saint Didier
Avignon, France
84000


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.