Williams Chapel United Methodist Church - English, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 37.414 W 094° 51.753
15S E 327230 N 3721975
Quick Description: The Williams Chapel United Methodist Church is at 3552 Red River County Rd 3300, in the old English community, a little over five miles northeast of Annona, TX. Sunday services are at 9:45 AM.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 10/26/2019 6:33:58 AM
Waymark Code: WM11HB6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 0

Long Description:
This church doesn't have any type of significant Internet presence besides a listing with the United Methodist Church, and web-spidered listings that sometimes have erroneous information. A 2012 Texas Historical Marker at the adjacent English Cemetery provides some history, although it's speculation as to whether this church has any ties to the community church referenced. Note the inclusion of A.J. Williams, whose name lives on in the church's name, as well is in an alternate name for the cemetery. The marker reads:

In 1852, Oliver English, and his uncle, Simeon English, brought three families and 30 slaves from Missouri to establish plantations in the area. They crossed the Red River at what was then known as the Mill Creek Crossing and travelled the Mill Creek Road until they came to the farm of Rev. William Duke. In this area they opened a 2,000-acre plantation, and Oliver English built a home and store at the heart of his namesake community. The first church was built soon after an 1859 deed to the land. The English Store became a trading center for a wide area with many people crossing the Red River to buy there. Before it burned in 1983, it was one of the oldest continuously operating businesses in the county.

The English Cemetery, also known as Williams Chapel Cemetery, is the final resting place for generations of citizens, including military veterans from the Civil War through the Vietnam War. The earliest unmarked burial is believed to be that of John Aikin, who was born circa 1756 and died before 1849. The earliest identifiable grave is that of Margaret Alvey Dunagan, one of the charter members of the community church, who died in 1865. Oliver English, Rev. T.W. Anderson and his wife, Columbia, and A.J. Williams, all early settlers of the English community, are also buried here. The general landscape of English Cemetery is traditional in nature. Graves are oriented east and west, and gravestones are predominantly granite, limestone and marble, with a few surviving markers in wood. Tombstone detailing reflects fraternal orders including Woodmen of the World and Masonic orders. The English Cemetery Society organizes an annual homecoming to raise funds and awareness for the maintenance of this historic burial ground.

Church Name: Williams Chapel United Methodist Church

Church In Use (even only just occassionally): yes

Date Church Built: Unknown

Rate this church.:

Visit Instructions:
Photo required...prefer photo with church and sign showing church name...if both in one photo terrific.

Pictures required:
1. Church picture
2. Church sign (schedule sign with Church name on it &/or gate with Church name, etc).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Country Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.