St. Peter's Episcopal Church (KC-125) - Smyrna, DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe
N 39° 18.366 W 075° 37.002
18S E 446829 N 4350926
Quick Description: In 1762 the congregation moved to a newly constructed stone chapel on the site of St. Peter's Cemetery. The marker is located at 500 N. Main Street, Smyrna, DE 19977 in front of St. Peter's Cemetery.
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 10/21/2019 9:24:03 AM
Waymark Code: WM11GM0
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Ernmark
Views: 3

Long Description:
St. Peter's Episcopal Church-Founded in 1740, St. Peter's was originally located near Duck Creek on the old King's Highway. In 1762 the congregation moved to a newly constructed stone chapel on the site of St. Peter's Cemetery. When the chapel fell into disrepair, the congregation built a church on Union Street in 1827. Stones from the old chapel were used to erect a wall around the Cummins' family burial plot in the cemetery. The current church, built in the Gothic Revival style, under went renovations in 1857. St. Peter's formally incorporated on September 27, 1858.

Erected 2018 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-125.)
Visit Instructions:
Please include a picture of the sign with your GPS in the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Delaware Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.