By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St Benedict's Church - St Benedict's Square, Lincoln, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 53° 13.690 W 000° 32.480
30U E 664116 N 5900474
Quick Description: St Benedict's Church dates from the 12th century and was in use until 1931. It is now used by as the headquarters of the Diocese of Lincoln Mother’s Union.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/21/2019 7:08:04 AM
Waymark Code: WM11GKA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

Wikipedia has an article about St Benedict's church that tells us:

St. Benedict's Church, Lincoln is an ancient church in Lincoln which is mentioned in 1107 and before the English Civil War was the Lincoln Civic Church. It was extensively destroyed in the Civil War, and was only partially restored. The tower was re-built imitating the other late Saxon towers in Lincoln. All that survives is the present nave, which was the chancel of the former church' and the chapel to the north built by Robert Tattershall in 1378. The church's bell known as Old Kate, was cast in 1585 and paid for by the Lincoln Barber's Surgeons Company. The church was closed in 1931 and demolition was proposed. However, following a public outcry, the church was saved as the result of an appeal and renovation work undertaken. It is now the headquarters of the Lincoln Diocese Mothers' Union. It is open to the public on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 10:00 am to 2:30 pm.

The parish was one of the smaller parishes in Lincoln. In the general re-organisation of the Lincoln parishes which took place in 1553, part of the parish of St John's was amalgamated with St Benedict's parish.

On Padley's large scale map of 1842, the parish is shown as extending from the Brayford Pool on the west to Sincil Street on the east. It included the length of the High Street from just north of the River Witham and the High Bridge to the Cornhill to the south.

These include a late 17th-century octagonal panelled oak pulpit and an 18th-century eggcup font with swags and square stem. A Royal Coat of Arms of 1734, was repainted in 1819, with the churchwardens' names. A brass with weepers, 1687, scrolled cartouche with arms and cherubs, 1739, and a memorial to the noted Lincoln architect William Adams Nicholson of 1853.

The church of St Benedict is Grade II* listed with the entry at the Historic England website advising:

Former Church, now the offices of the Lincoln Diocesan Mothers' Union. C13 and early C14. Nave and north aisle demolished, and west tower built from old materials, mid C17. Restored and converted to secular use, 1931. Coursed rubble, dressed stone and brick, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, nave and north aisle.

EXTERIOR: square west tower, 2 stages, has renewed rendered plinth, quoins, single string course, eaves band with remains of gargoyles, plain parapet and corner piers. To south, a C17 studded door with wooden lintel. Above it, a mask corbel. To west, 2 small square windows. Second stage has on each side a double round headed opening with reused central mullion. South side, 4 bays, has a central buttress, incomplete sill and impost bands, and mask corbel table. To the left, a small Decorated 2-light window. Above and to the right, three 3-light pointed arched windows, all C14, restored. To right again, a C13 lancet with hoodmould. East end has flanking buttresses and a round headed blocked door. Above it, a 5-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould. At the west end, a blocked four-centred arch and a 3-light pointed arched window, C14. North aisle, 3 bays, has brick parapet and 3 buttresses. At the west end, the remains of a demolished gable. North side has to west a Perpendicular style window, 3 lights, with hoodmould and stops. West end has a Decorated style 3-light window with ogee headed lights. East end has a similar window with four-centred arched head, hoodmould and mask stops.

INTERIOR has, below the tower, a C17 cleft ladder. North arcade, C13, 2 bays, has an octagonal pier with 2 remaining round shafts, and half-octagonal responds, all with stiff leaf capitals. Double roll moulded arches on nave side, with hoodmoulds. To east, a doorway, C17, with a studded door. South side and east end have incomplete sill bands. South side has to east a C13 double piscina, and to west a cusped ogee headed tomb recess with mask and beast finials. At the west end, a moulded blocked arch. Much altered double purlin common rafter roof. North aisle has blocked double chamfered arch at west end with a fielded panelled door and inscription, 1952. East end has a moulded plinth and sill band to south, and a door to north, with above it a blocked C13 lancet with hoodmould. Low pitched double purlin roof with arch braces, wall shafts and mask corbels.

FITTINGS include a C17 octagonal panelled oak pulpit, altered C19, on a reused panelled octagonal stone base. Late C18 eggcup font with swags and square stem. Royal arms, 1734, repainted 1819, with the churchwardens' names.

MEMORIALS include a brass with weepers, 1687, scrolled cartouche with arms and cherubs, 1739. Tablet, 1853, to William Nicholson, RIBA. Several C18 and C19 tablets.

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1100

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Anglican

Street address of Church:
St Benedict's Square
Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.