By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Eglise Notre Dame - Echire, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 23.504 W 000° 24.943
30T E 698687 N 5140819
Quick Description: In the town center. Dans le centre ville.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 10/21/2019 2:54:43 AM
Waymark Code: WM11GJ8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
Catholic Parvis source:
The bell tower has two bells, one of 1924, the other of
1952 (recasting of the bell of Osmond, founder of the king,
blessed by Bishop de Bouillé, bishop of Poitiers from 1819 to
1842).



On the occasion of work around the church in 1996 were found tombs and sarcophagi of the Merovingian period, and there is in the current church reemployment of ancient architecture.
The name Echiré appears in the texts in 1218, in its current form. Dedicated to Our Lady, the church depended, from 1340 to the Revolution, the cathedral chapter of Poitiers.
The church was not sold as national property, and was returned to worship in 1803.
We find in many of our churches the different stages that can be observed in the construction of the Echiré church.
1. The church was built in Romanesque times. It consisted of a single nave, a transept and probably a choir hemicycle. There remains the transept, with octagonal cupola on square horns of the transept which carries the octagonal bell tower with slate roof. The capitals of the columns that carry the dome of the bell tower represent:
- in the north-west, an animal under leaves and other fantastic animals with wings or tails of snakes;
- in the south-west, a man between two beasts threatening him, and a tree with two furious animals devouring their paws. The interpretation that sees in the first capital the image of virtue, in the second the image of temptation and remorse can only be proposed as hypothesis.
The window of the south arm of the transept has a voussure decorated with eight-spoke wheels (six for one of them), with a frame made of nail heads.
The side walls of the nave also go back, in part, to the Romanesque period.
2. In the 15th century, the Romanesque apse was removed and the choir expanded to include:
- two straight spans and a hemicycle apse taken in the thickness of a straight chevet,
- and two collaterals ending in a small semicircular apse, taking approximately (except to the north) following the arms of the transept.
3. A restoration, which is partly a reconstruction, is planned as early as 1859, on plans by Segrétain.
The work will be done under the direction of the architects
Valley and Praised. The work began in 1876, the church will be solemnly consecrated by Cardinal Pie, bishop of Poitiers (1849-1880), August 26, 1879. The work will have cost 75 000 francs, of which two thirds paid by the factory (in charge of the management of the material property of the parish) and subscriptions.
On the bases of the old side walls, the nave has been largely resumed, with a slightly broken cradle vault and doubleaux between the three bays. The octagonal bell tower has been remodeled.
The granite pillars of the choir and the grandstand are from the 19th century.
4. Between 2011 and 2014, conservation and enhancement works are carried out (in particular to reinforce the belfry structure, clean the exterior, restore stained glass windows) for a cost of 600,000 euros.



source Parvis Catholique :
Le clocher a deux cloches, l'une de 1924, l'autre de
1952 (refonte de la cloche d'Osmond, fondeur du roi,
bénie par Mgr de Bouillé, évêque de Poitiers de 1819 à
1842).


A l'occasion de travaux autour de l'église en 1996 on a trouvé des tombes et des sarcophages de l'époque mérovingienne, et il y a dans l'église actuelle des réemplois d'architecture antique.
Le nom d'Echiré apparaît dans les textes en 1218, sous sa forme actuelle. Dédiée à Notre-Dame, l'église dépendit, de 1340 à la Révolution, du chapitre cathédral de Poitiers.
L'église n'a pas été vendue comme bien national, et a été rendue au culte en 1803.
On retrouve dans nombre de nos églises les différentes étapes que l'on peut observer dans la construction de l'église d'Echiré.
1. L'église a été construite à l'époque romane. Elle comportait une nef unique, un transept et probablement un chœur en hémicycle. En subsiste le transept, avec coupole octogonale sur trompes au carré du transept qui porte le clocher octogonal à toit d'ardoise. Les chapiteaux des colonnes qui portent la coupole du clocher représentent :
- au nord-ouest, un animal sous des feuilles et d'autres animaux fantastiques à ailes ou queues de serpents ;
- au sud-ouest, un homme entre deux bêtes qui le menacent, et un arbre avec deux animaux furieux qui se dévorent les pattes. L'interprétation qui voit dans le premier chapiteau l'image de la vertu, dans le second l'image de la tentation et du remords ne peut être proposée qu'à titre d'hypothèse.
La fenêtre du bras sud du transept a une voussure décorée de roues à huit branches (à six pour l'une d'entre elles), avec encadrement formé de têtes de clous.
Les murs latéraux de la nef remontent eux aussi, pour une part, à l'époque romane.
2. Au 15e siècle on a supprimé l'abside romane et élargi le chœur qui comprend dès lors :
- deux travées droites et une abside en hémicycle prise dans l'épaisseur d'un chevet droit,
- et deux collatéraux terminés par une petite absidiole en hémicycle, prenant à peu près (sauf au nord) la suite des bras du transept.
3. Une restauration, qui est en partie une reconstruction, est projetée dès 1859, sur des plans de Segrétain.
Les travaux se feront sous la direction des architectes
Vallée et Loué. Les travaux commencent en 1876, l'église sera consacrée solennellement par le cardinal Pie, évêque de Poitiers (1849-1880), le 26 août 1879. Les travaux auront coûté 75 000 francs, dont les deux tiers payés par la fabrique (chargée de la gestion des biens matériels de la paroisse) et les souscriptions.
Sur les bases des murs latéraux anciens, la nef a été largement reprise, avec voûte en berceau légèrement brisé et doubleaux entre les trois travées. Le clocher octogonal a été remanié.
Les piliers en granit du chœur et de la tribune sont du 19e siècle.
4. Entre 2011 et 2014, des travaux de conservation et de mise en valeur sont effectués (notamment pour renforcer la structure sous clocher, nettoyer l'extérieur, restaurer les vitraux) pour un coût de 600 000 euros.
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.