By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Eglise de Saint Etienne la Cigogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 06.883 W 000° 30.124
30T E 693018 N 5109827
Quick Description: In the town center. Dans le centre ville.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 10/21/2019 12:35:34 AM
Waymark Code: WM11GHH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
Catholic Parvis source:
The Stork appears in the texts around 1100. It is most likely not to see in the name a reference to the bird migratory wader bird well known but probably more prosaically levered pulleys, called "storks", which were equipped with the wells. the region. The toponym can also come from a pillory of justice which sometimes also bears the name of "stork". The name of the patron saint of the parish is gradually added to it. In 1793, the town is called Plaisance but from 1798 receives its current name of Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne.
 The parish was formerly in the diocese of Saintes. It depended on the nearby priory of the Benedictine Abbey Saint-Cyprien of Poitiers established in Doeuil-sur-le-Mignon. The priest was alternately chosen by the bishop of Saintes and by the prior. During the Concordat, the parish was incorporated into the diocese of Poitiers.
 The patron saint was celebrated on August 3, the day of the invention of the relics of Stephen. This feast, celebrated in the West since the tenth century, was abolished in 1961. The Saint Stephen is usually celebrated on December 26th. In France, 70 communes bear the name of this first martyr.

 In 1569, during the wars of religion, the Protestants destroyed half the church, breaking the stained glass, depopulating the nave, mutilating the pillars, degrading the walls, removing the bell.
It was necessary to rebuild the western part and to close it
by a disgraceful high facade, supported by two buttresses low and presenting nothing but a simple door dated 1669 and, at the highest, two bays, the right one houses a small bell.
 The other critical period was the Revolution. The church was sold as a National Good and was abandoned or served as a barn for almost thirty years. In 1821 it was bought by the town, with the financial assistance of the Duchess of Angoulême solicited by the serving.
 The restoration works took place from 1823 to 1828 and a priest was appointed in 1830.


In 1599 the seigniory of Saint-Etienne passes, by marriage, to the family of La Lande. On the south wall of the nave, near the choir, you can read an inscription:
 Many family members were buried in the church. At the height of the previous inscription is a slab on which one can read:
 In 1911, a branch of the family of La Lande bought what had been the lordship of Saint-Etienne. On the south wall of the first bay of the nave, we read:
 Despite all the vicissitudes of history, the church of Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne retains much of the Romanesque construction. It was also classified as a historic monument on February 21, 1914.
 It will be understood that the facade and the nave have suffered too much to keep a lot of interest but the long span of the choir, broken cradle, and the apse vaulted semicircular broken oven are the best Romanesque style. Due to the absence of collaterals and transept, this part attracts all the more attention especially as the triumphal arch - the one that separates the nave of the choir - is carried by compact beams of seven columns which introduce a clear rupure in the plane of the building.
To the memory of high and mighty Lord Messire Robert de La Lande, Knight of Saint-Etienne, Captain of a vessel serviced by the Navy, Ordinary Commissioner of Artillery, Counselor of the King in his State Councils and Private, Gentleman Ordinary of his chamber, Deputy Governor of His Majesty and high and powerful lady Renee Frottier de La Messeliere, his wife 1628-1643.
Here is the body of the noble lady Marie Thérèse de Fleuri, wife of Messire Charles de La Lande, knight of Saint-Etienne, 24 years old. 1697.
"This vault, destroyed during the Wars of Religion, was rebuilt in the year 1937 thanks to the generosity of the Count A. de La Lande and to the Historical Monuments. H. Pointecoutault, pastor of the parish.


source Parvis Catholique :
La Cigogne apparaît dans les textes vers 1100. Il ne faut très probablement pas voir dans le nom une référence à l’oiseau échassier migrateur bien connu mais sans doute plus prosaïquement aux poulies avec levier, dites “cigognes”, dont étaient munis les puits de la région. Le toponyme peut aussi venir d’un pilori de justice qui porte parfois aussi le nom de “cigogne”. Le nom du saint patron de la paroisse lui est peu à peu joint. En 1793, la commune est appelée Plaisance mais dès 1798 reçoit son nom actuel de Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne.
La paroisse se trouvait autrefois dans le diocèse de Saintes. Elle dépendait du proche prieuré de l’abbaye bénédictine Saint-Cyprien de Poitiers établi à Doeuil-sur-le-Mignon. Le curé était alternativement choisi par l’évêque de Saintes et par le prieur. Lors du Concordat, la paroisse fut incorporée au diocèse de Poitiers.
Le saint patron était fêté le 3 août, jour de l’invention des reliques d’Etienne. Cette fête, célébrée en Occident depuis le Xe siècle, a été supprimée en 1961. La Saint Etienne est ordinairement célébrée le 26 décembre. En France, 70 communes portent le nom de ce premier martyr.

En 1569, au cours des guerres de Religion, les protestants détruisent à moitié l’église, brisant les vitraux, dépavant la nef, mutilant les piliers, dégradant les murs, enlevant la cloche.
Il fallut reconstruire la partie occidentale et la fermer
par une haute façade disgracieuse, épaulée par deux contreforts peu élevés et ne présentant rien d’autre qu’une porte toute simple datée de 1669 et, au plus haut, deux baies dont celle de droite abrite une petite cloche.
L’autre période critique fut la Révolution. L’église fut vendue comme Bien national et fut abandonnée ou servit de grange pendant près de trente ans. En 1821 elle fut rachetée par la commune, avec le concours financier de la duchesse d’Angoulême sollicité par le desservant.
Les travaux de remise en état eurent lieu de 1823 à 1828 et un curé fut nommé en 1830.


En 1599 la seigneurie de Saint-Etienne passe, par mariage, à la famille de La Lande. Au mur sud de la nef, près du choeur, on peut lire une inscription :
De nombreux membres de la famille ont été enterrés dans l’église. A la hauteur de l’inscription précédente se trouve une dalle sur laquelle on peut lire :
En 1911, une branche de la famille de La Lande a racheté ce qui avait été la seigneurie de Saint Etienne. Au mur sud de la première travée de la nef, on lit :
Malgré toutes les vicissitudes de l’histoire, l’église de Saint-Etienne-la-Cigogne conserve une grande partie de la construction romane. Elle a d’ailleurs été classée Monument historique le 21 février 1914.
On aura compris que la façade et la nef ont trop souffert pour garder beaucoup d’intérêt mais la longue travée du choeur, en berceau brisé, et l’abside en hémicycle voûtée en cul de four brisé sont du meilleur style roman. En raison de l’absence de collatéraux et de transept, cette partie attire toute l’attention d’autant plus que l’arc triomphal - celui qui sépare la nef du choeur -est porté par des faisceaux compacts de sept colonnes qui introduisent une nette rupure dans le plan de l’édifice.
A la mémoire de haut et puissant seigneur messire Robert de La Lande, chevalier de Saint-Etienne, capitaine d’un vaisseau entretenu de la marine, commissaire ordinaire de l’artillerie, conseiller du roy en ses conseils d’état et privé, gentilhomme ordinaire de sa chambre, sous-gouverneur de Sa Majesté et de haute et puissante dame Renée Frottier de La Messelière, son épouse 1628-1643.
Ci gist le corps de noble dame Marie Thérèse de Fleuri, épouse de messire Charles de La Lande, chevalier de Saint-Etienne, aagée de 24 ans. 1697.
“Cette voûte, détruite pendant les guerres de Religion, a été reconstruite en l’an 1937 grâce à la générosité de M. le comte A. de La Lande et aux Monuments historiques. H. Pointecoutault, curé de la paroisse.


Parvis Catholique : (visit link)


Merimee : (visit link)
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1200

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

Street address of Church:
3 rue des Iris
Saint Etienne la Cigogne
La Plaine D'Argenson, Nouvelle Aquitaine France
79360


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Not listed

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.