Chapelle des Templiers d'Avignon - Avignon, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 56.927 E 004° 48.267
31T E 644795 N 4867766
Quick Description: La chapelle des Templiers est une ancienne chapelle catholique devenue théâtre.
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 10/20/2019 8:50:41 AM
Waymark Code: WM11GD8
Views: 7

Long Description:
FR L'ordre du Temple s'implante à Avignon au XIIe siècle. Le premier document mentionnant leur présence date de 1174. Il y est question de la « domus milice », ce qui signifie que l'ordre est déjà installé à Avignon à cette date. Pour essayer de préciser une date d'installation, Eugène Duprat remarque que les évêques d'Avignon ont inséré dans des actes de vente des clauses d'exclusion concernant les templiers à partir de 1150. Aucun commandeur n'est connu avant 1188 quand est cité Guillaume de Soliers « preceptor domus milici Arelatensis et Avinionensis ». La Maison d'Avignon est restée subordonnée à celle d'Arles jusqu'en 1243 quand Artaud est cité comme « preceptor domus avinionensis ». La première memtion de la Maison d'Avignon date de 1197, mais sans indication de sa localisation. Ce n'est que dans un acte daté de 1259 qu'on apprend qu'elle est située dans la paroisse de Saint-Agricol, à côté de l'église Saint-Agricol, probablement à l'endroit où se situe l'actuelle chapelle des Templiers.

Les templiers obtiennent de l'évêque et du chapitre le droit de construire une chapelle en 12732. La chapelle des Templiers est construite entre 1273 et 1281. En 1281, la chapelle est mentionnée pour la première fois sous le nom de Notre-Dame-de-Bethléem dans le testament de Girarde Levenières.

Après la condamnation de l'ordre du Temple par le pape Clément V, Charles II d'Anjou, comte de Provence, ordonne l'arrestation des templiers du comté de Provence, ce qui est fait les 23 et 24 janvier 1308. Leurs biens sont séquestrés. Conformément à la bulle « Ad providam Christi Vicarii » du 6 mai 1312, les biens des templiers sont transférés aux hospitaliers de l'ordre de Saint-Jean de Jérusalem. Les hospitaliers ont créé leur propre commanderie à Avignon sur la rue Saint-Jean-le-Vieux. Les hospitaliers vont abandonner leur commanderie de Saint-Jean-le-Vieux qui va devenir une livrée cardinalice pour s'installer dans l'ancienne commanderie templière vers 1330, probablement à la suite d'un litige avec le prieur de l'église Saint-Pierre. Une lettre de Clément VI datée de 1342 confirme que les hospitaliers sont installés dans l'ancienne commanderie du Temple. Il ne semble pas que les hospitaliers aient développé les bâtiments légués par l'ordre du Temple. En 1373, 13 religieux sont attachés à la commanderie mais un seul réside à Avignon. En 1411, le commandeur a abandonné la préceptorie qui est régie par un frère. Finalement la maison-mère va être arrentée (bail à rente). Le premier acte connu date de 1443. Le précepteur Marat Hugolin, avec l'assentiment du prieur de Saint-Gilles, Bertrand d'Arpajon, a arrentée la commanderie avec tous ses biens à deux seigneurs. Ceux-ci s'engagent à entretenir un chapelain, à verser des sommes au trésorier de l'Ordre et à effectuer les réparations nécessaires aux bâtiments de la commanderie.

Les rapports de visites de la commanderie faites à la demande du Grand Prieur de Saint-Gilles à partir du XVIe siècle permettent de connaître l'état de la commanderie. Elle comprend deux corps de bâtiments :

la Maison de la commanderie se trouvant le long de la rue Sainte-Praxède (actuelle rue Félix-Gras) et à l'angle avec la rue Saint-Agricol, de deux étages distribués par une tour, la maison dite du sacristain située au nord de la chapelle, avec la chapelle. La commanderie templière a été peu modifiée depuis le début du XIVe siècle, probablement parce que les commandeurs n'y résident plus à l'exception de quelques-uns. La commanderie n'est plus qu'une source de revenus. Les textes mentionnent parfois l'ajout de pièces nouvelles. Les chapelains de l'ordre ne sont pas plus présents bien qu'ils soient astreints à résidence. Ils se font remplacer pour les messes par des clercs séculiers nommés par le commandeur.

Le décret pris par l'Assemblée législative le 19 septembre 1792 décide la saisie et la vente des biens de l'ordre de Malte comme biens nationaux. Très rapidement, les biens possédés par l'ordre de Malte à Avignon sont expertisés malgré l'opposition du sacristain Joseph Morenas. La commanderie est vendue à un particulier le 2 avril 1793. Puis la commanderie est séparée en deux lots vendus à des propriétaires différents. Un lot comprend l'ancienne sacristie et la chapelle qui vont être transformés en auberge. La chapelle est devenu une écurie. L'autre lot comprend l'hôtel du commandeur. En 1834, le premier lot qui abrite l'« Hôtel du Pont » est en état de dégradation avancé. En 1837, l'autre lot devait être dans le même état quand ses propriétaires décident de le démolir et reconstruire des bâtiments. En 1862, on constate que les bâtiments correspondant se trouvant sur la parcelle de la sacristie ont été reconstruits et doivent correspondre à ceux de l'« Hôtel du Louvre ». La chapelle n'a pas été modifiée.

Le bâtiment est acheté en 1875 par l'Avignonnais Anselme Mathieu. Il entreprend de remettre en état la chapelle et de transformer l'étage supérieur en restaurant pour l'hôtel. L'étage inférieur de la chapelle sert de débarras. Anselme Mathieu est très proche du Félibrige. Il a accueilli dans son hôtel les plus illustres représentants, Frédéric Mistral, Théodore Aubanel et Joseph Roumanille. L’hôtel est devenu leur cercle de réunion. L’hôtel du Louvre a fermé ses portes en 1977.

L'hôtel du Louvre est acheté en 1997 par Jean Gourdan de Fromentel. Il a alors entrepris de sauvegarder la chapelle en respectant son architecture. Le Petit Louvre devient un lieu de spectacles l'été et participe au Festival Off d'Avignon. Il sert toute l'année pour des activités culturelles, des séminaires et des congrès.

La chapelle a été classée au titre des monuments historiques le 16 mars 2000

Aujourd'hui
Avec ses pierres chaleureuses, son patio ombragé et délicieux abritant bar et restauration, Le Petit Louvre est un théâtre et un lieu au charme puissant, convivial, qui donne le goût de bien faire.

Outre ses multiples activités tout au long de l’année, Le Petit Louvre ouvre ses portes au Festival OFF d’Avignon avec deux salles de spectacles, l’une, La Chapelle (223 places), l’autre, Salle Van Gogh, (85 places) qui reçoivent, à chaque festival, une quinzaine de spectacles. Nous œuvrons pour une programmation ouverte à la diversité des propositions favorisant les compagnonnages d'un festival à l'autre, permettant la découverte de jeunes talents ou d’artistes qui feront ici leur 1er festival.

Donner toute sa place au théâtre, aux textes et à l'acteur, être attentifs au public et aux professionnels sont autant d'objectifs sur lesquels se fonde notre désir d'être des artisans au service des artistes. Et parce que nous sommes attachés à l’esprit de service public, nous privilégions l'exigence artistique des projets pour que ce théâtre soit un lieu de référence où les compagnies aiment venir, où les professionnels aiment s'arrêter, où les festivaliers soient des spectateurs heureux.

Présentation de la salle :
La chapelle des templiers est une grande et belle salle de 223 places, la diversité des programmations privilégie le théâtre, les grands textes,classiques ou contemporains, les acteurs mais aussi des incursions vers les autres disciplines.
EN The order of the Temple was established in Avignon in the 12th century. The first document mentioning their presence dates back to 1174. It refers to the "domus militia", which means that the order is already established in Avignon on this date. In an attempt to specify a date of installation, Eugène Duprat notes that the Bishops of Avignon have inserted exclusion clauses concerning Templars in deeds of sale since 1150, and no commander is known until 1188 when Guillaume de Soliers is quoted as "preceptor domus milici Arelatensis et Avinionensis". The House of Avignon remained subordinate to that of Arles until 1243 when Artaud was cited as "preceptor domus avinionensis". The first memorial of the Maison d'Avignon dates back to 1197, but without any indication of its location. It is only in an act dated 1259 that we learn that it is located in the parish of Saint-Agricol, next to the church of Saint-Agricol, probably where the current Templar chapel is located.

The Templars obtained from the Bishop and the Chapter the right to build a chapel in 12732. The Templar Chapel was built between 1273 and 1281. In 1281, the chapel was first mentioned under the name of Notre-Dame-de-Bethléem in Girarde Levenières' will.

After Pope Clement V condemned the Temple Order, Charles II of Anjou, Count of Provence, ordered the arrest of the Templars of the County of Provence, which was done on 23 and 24 January 1308. Their property is sequestered. In accordance with the "Ad providam Christi Vicarii" bull of May 6, 1312, the Templars' property was transferred to the hospitaliers of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. The hospitalers created their own commandery in Avignon on Saint-Jean-le-Vieux Street. The hospitalers abandoned their commandery in Saint-Jean-le-Vieux, which became a cardinal's livery, and moved into the former Templar commandery around 1330, probably following a dispute with the prior of Saint-Pierre Church. A letter from Clement VI dated 1342 confirms that the hospitaliers are installed in the former commandery of the Temple. It does not seem that the hospitallers developed the buildings bequeathed by the Order of the Temple. In 1373, 13 religious were attached to the commandery but only one resided in Avignon. In 1411, the commander abandoned the preceptory which is governed by a brother. Finally the parent company will be arranged (rent lease). The first known act dates back to 1443. The tutor Marat Hugolin, with the consent of the Prior of Saint-Gilles, Bertrand d'Arpajon, arranged the commandery with all its belongings for two lords. They undertake to maintain a chaplain, pay sums to the Order's treasurer and carry out the necessary repairs to the commandery's buildings.

The reports of visits to the commandery made at the request of the Grand Prior of Saint-Gilles from the 16th century onwards provide information on the state of the commandery. It includes two buildings:

the Commandery House located along rue Sainte-Praxède (now rue Félix-Gras) and at the corner with rue Saint-Agricol, with two floors distributed by a tower, the house known as the sacristan's house located north of the chapel, with the chapel. The Templar commandery has changed little since the early 14th century, probably because the commanders no longer reside there except for a few. The commandery is now only a source of income. The texts sometimes mention the addition of new parts. The chaplains of the Order are not present either, although they are under house arrest. They are replaced for masses by secular clerics appointed by the commander.

The decree issued by the Legislative Assembly on 19 September 1792 decides to seize and sell the property of the Order of Malta as national property. Very quickly, the properties owned by the Order of Malta in Avignon were appraised despite the opposition of the sacristan Joseph Morenas. The commandery was sold to a private individual on April 2, 1793. Then the commandery is separated into two lots sold to different owners. A lot includes the former sacristy and chapel which will be transformed into an inn. The chapel has become a stable. The other batch includes the commander's hotel. In 1834, the first lot housing the "Hôtel du Pont" was in an advanced state of deterioration. In 1837, the other lot must have been in the same condition when its owners decided to demolish it and rebuild buildings. In 1862, it was noted that the corresponding buildings on the parcel of the sacristy had been rebuilt and must correspond to those of the "Hôtel du Louvre". The chapel has not been modified. The building was purchased in 1875 by Anselme Mathieu from Avignon. He undertook to refurbish the chapel and transform the upper floor into a restaurant for the hotel. The lower floor of the chapel serves as a storage room. Anselme Mathieu is very close to the Félibrige. He welcomed the most illustrious representatives, Frédéric Mistral, Théodore Aubanel and Joseph Roumanille, to his hotel. The hotel became their meeting circle. The Hôtel du Louvre closed its doors in 1977.

The Hôtel du Louvre was bought in 1997 by Jean Gourdan de Fromentel. He then undertook to safeguard the chapel while respecting its architecture. Le Petit Louvre becomes a place of entertainment in the summer and participates in the Festival Off d'Avignon. It is used all year round for cultural activities, seminars and congresses.

The chapel was classified as a historic monument on 16 March 2000.

Today
With its warm stones, its shaded and delicious patio sheltering a bar and restaurant, Le Petit Louvre is a theatre and a place with a powerful, friendly charm that makes you want to do well.


In addition to its many activities throughout the year, Le Petit Louvre opens its doors to the Festival OFF d'Avignon with two venues, one, La Chapelle (223 seats), the other, Salle Van Gogh, (85 seats) which receive, at each festival, about fifteen shows. We work for a program open to the diversity of proposals promoting companionship from one festival to another, allowing the discovery of young talents or artists who will make their first festival here.


Giving theatre, texts and actors their full place, being attentive to the public and professionals are all objectives on which our desire to be craftsmen at the service of artists is based. And because we are committed to the spirit of public service, we favour the artistic requirement of projects so that this theatre can be a place of reference where companies like to come, where professionals like to stop, where festival-goers are happy spectators.


Presentation of the room:
The Templars' Chapel is a large and beautiful hall with 223 seats, the diversity of programming favours the theatre, great texts, classical or contemporary, actors but also incursions into other disciplines.


Source : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapelle_des_Templiers_d%27Avignon
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1273

Age of Church building determined by?: Cornerstone or plaque

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
16-18 Rue Saint-Agricol,
Avignon, France
84000


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.