Beffroi de Thuin - Thuin - Belgique
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PaulLassiter
N 50° 20.379 E 004° 17.201
31U E 591560 N 5577187
Quick Description: [FR] Tour médiévale de l'ancienne collégiale Saint-Théodard. [EN] Medieval tower of the former collegiate church of Saint-Théodard.
Location: Hainaut, Belgium
Date Posted: 10/14/2019 9:54:52 AM
Waymark Code: WM11FFV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 3

Long Description:
[FR]

"Inscrit en 1999 au patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO au même titre que 55 autres beffrois de Belgique et de France, celui de Thuin constitue l’unique vestige de la collégiale Saint-Lambert et Saint-Théodard, détruite en 1811. Bien qu’elle ait été dotée d’une fonction capitulaire, la tour de la collégiale était également tour communale – et donc un véritable beffroi, le seul en Wallonie à avoir assumé dès l’origine ces deux fonctions. Cette double vocation se dessine sur la façade sud de l’édifice où sont visibles les armoiries des bourgmestres de l’époque de la construction, au-dessus des niches dédiées aux saints protecteurs de l’église.

Robuste, le beffroi domine la ville haute de ses 60 m, construite en moellons de grès rythmés par des bandeaux de calcaire. La partie supérieure est occupée par de grandes ouïes surmontées des cadrans de l’horloge. Elle est coiffée d’une flèche campaniforme entourée de quatre clochetons polygonaux. Décoiffé par une tempête en 1662, le beffroi est remis en état dans la foulée tandis que d’importantes réparations sont effectuées au milieu du XVIIIe siècle. Sa double fonction doit au beffroi de ne pas avoir été démoli avec le reste de l’édifice religieux, dont on voit encore les traces de toiture sur la face orientale du beffroi. Une galerie a été accolée à ce qui était devenu une tour isolée. Le beffroi a bénéficié d’une restauration complète au début des années 2000."

[EN]

"In 1999, Thuin, along with 55 other belfries in Belgium and France, was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and is the only remains of the collegiate church of Saint-Lambert and Saint-Théodard, destroyed in 1811. Although it was endowed with a chapter function, the collegiate tower was also a communal tower - and therefore a real belfry, the only one in Wallonia to have assumed these two functions from the beginning. This double vocation can be seen on the south façade of the building where the coat of arms of the burgomasters of the time of the construction can be seen, above the niches dedicated to the patron saints of the church.

Robust, the belfry dominates the 60-metre high city, built of sandstone rubble with limestone bands. The upper part is occupied by large gills surmounted by the clock dials. It is topped by a bell-shaped spire surrounded by four polygonal bell towers. Decapitated by a storm in 1662, the belfry was restored in the aftermath, while major repairs were carried out in the mid-18th century. Its dual function owes to the belfry for not having been demolished with the rest of the religious building, whose roof traces can still be seen on the eastern side of the belfry. A gallery was attached to what had become an isolated tower.The belfry was completely restored in the early 2000s.

Source: (visit link)
Type: Monument

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/943

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.