By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Théâtre Victor-Hugo - Fougères, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 21.283 W 001° 12.217
30U E 633078 N 5357286
Quick Description: [EN] The Victor Hugo Theater was built in 1886 by the architect Jean-Marie Laloy to respond to the craze of the majority working-class population for entertainment shows. [FR] Le Théâtre Victor Hugo a été construit en 1886 par l’architecte Jean-Marie Laloy pour répondre à l’engouement de la population majoritairement ouvrière pour les spectacles de divertissement.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 10/12/2019 6:33:45 AM
Waymark Code: WM11F5Z
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:

"Built in the style of" theaters in Italian ", the Victor Hugo Theater was inaugurated in 1886. Soon, the public became fascinated by opera, operettas, dramas and comedies.

The facade of the Victor-Hugo Theater of Fougères appears as the transposition to a smaller scale, that of a sub-prefecture of Brittany, the work made by Auguste Magne in Angers from 1869 to 1871, Place du Ralliement.

The project of Jean-Marie Laloy resumes the provisions of the central front-body of the great theater Angevin which he also preserves the eclectic style Second Empire.

Powerful architectural elements structure the middle part that is detached from the main body animated by the carved decorations of the Rennesian ornamentalist Gaumerais. A resolutely monumental work in which the use of a limestone that is foreign to the region conveys an ostentatious desire, the façade of the theater revolves around the number three, the elevation, which counts ground floor, noble floor and pediment , counterbalancing harmoniously the tripartite vertical division, on both sides of the fore-body.

Previously, his plans had served as a model for the architect Charles Lucas to erect the municipal theater of Lisieux.

Inaugurated on September 24th, 1886, the theater of activity knows an intense activity until November 1970, only interrupted from June 1944 to January 1946 following the bombing of the city by the Allies. The widespread use of television sets in the countryside of Fougeraise combined with the obsolescence of equipment no longer meets safety standards lead to the fall of the curtain for over thirty years on the stage of the theater.

The classification of its facade on March 1, 1990, save the building threatened a time of destruction. Restored to the same, the theater opens its doors again on December 8, 2001.

Originally, its 650-seat room served the needs of a predominantly working population. With a capacity of 250 seats, it allows for theatrical performances and other intimate performances, while completing the range of fougeraise concert halls with the Juliette-Drouet cultural center and L'Espace Aumaillerie. "

Sources : The Theater from what Wikipedia tells us

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" L'église saint Sulpice a été construite au XIème siècle sur pilotis dans un terrain marécageux avoisinant les douves du château. Fort basse, elle fut relevée à deux reprises. Sa couverte était faite de genêts.

L'accroissement de la population nécessita plusieurs agrandissements que financèrent les paroissiens. Tous ces travaux réalisés sans plan et au cours des XVè, XVIè et XVIIIè siècles, interrompus par l'épidémie de la peste et les guerres de religion, confèrent à cette église une allure bien particulière et peu homogène.

En granit du pays, elle présente à l'extérieur une série de gargouilles dissemblables et curieuses ainsi que des figurines amusantes sur le rampant du collatéral nord. On peut remarquer aussi la porte de la chapelle saint Guillaume du XVè siècle, face au presbytère, et le clocher qui penche dont la légende est relative à l'abbé Poussinière, sorcier condamné à être brulé à Rennes en 1643.

La nef centrale est composée d'une suite de quatre travées de longueurs inïégales et dont les piliers ne se font pas face. Le transept, formé de deux chapelles, a été ajouté au choeur primitif au début du XVè siècle. Puis les deux bas côtés furent édifiés autour de la nef au cours du XVIè siècle. Un nouveau choeur, presque aussi vaste que le reste de l'église, se substitua à l'ancien. Commencé au XVIè, il fut achevé dans la deuxième moitié du XVIIIè siècle.

Son mobilier est très riche. Le retable des tanneurs du XVè siècle où sont sculptés les instruments de la Passion et une vigne, la châsse de sainte Viviane, les vitraux, des boiseries du XVIIIè siècle, le tabernacle en bois sculpté et doré, le lutrin du XVIIè siècle, les stalles, les tableaux dont "Le triomphe de la Vierge" signé par Giovanni Battista Salvi.

Mais le principal trésor se trouve dans la première chapelle du collatéral nord. L'important retable en granit, commencé sous le règne de la duchesse Anne et terminé alors qu'elle était devenue reine de France, présente en son centre un écusson de Bretagne.

La niche abrite la statue de Notre Dame des Marais, objet de vénération des fougerais. Le pardon de ND des marais a lieu chaque année depuis 1924, pendant trois jours en septembre. Taillée dans un bloc de "pierre de Caen", elle représente la Vierge allaitant l'enfant Jésus.

La tradition veut que, primitivement dans la chapelle du château, elle ait été précipitée dans les marais lors du sac du château par les anglais en 1166. Retrouvée, l'emplacement de sa découverte marque celui du sanctuaire. "

Sources : Le Théatre d’après ce que nous dit Wikipédia

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Théâtre Victor-Hugo - Fougères, France 10/3/2019 pmaupin visited it