Abbaye Notre-Dame du Tronchet - Le Tronchet, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 29.467 W 001° 50.083
30U E 586095 N 5371543
Quick Description: [FR] L'abbaye Notre-Dame du Tronchet est un monastère de moines bénédictins, fondée au XIIème siècle par des moines de la Congrégation de Saint Benoît. [EN] The Notre-Dame du Tronchet abbey is a monastery of Benedictine monks, founded in the 12th century by monks of the Congregation of Saint Benedict.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 10/8/2019 8:10:47 AM
Waymark Code: WM11EFQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

" L'église fut fondée en 1140, par Alain, fils de Jordan ou Jourdain, sénéchal de Dol et un couvent vers 1150, à l'emplacement de l'actuelle hôtellerie abbatiale. Cette communauté fut donnée par Alain, revenu de croisade, à Hugues, archevêque de Dol de 1156 à 1162 avec l'assentiment de l'Abbé et des moines.

Cette maison fut érigée en abbaye en 1170 par des moines de la Congrégation de Saint-Benoît, dont elle suivit la règle, avec quelques usages particuliers pratiqués à Tiron. En 1258, l'archidiacre de Dol obtient une bulle pontificale supprimant la dépendance du Tronchet à l'abbaye de Tiron.

Le cloître est transformé en cimetière par la peste (1625-40). L'abbaye ayant été construite près des étangs dans un lieu marécageux, les bénédictins de la congrégation de Saint-Maur décident en 1642, la construction d'une nouvelle abbaye sur la colline voisine, le chantier durera de 1642 à 1679.

La première pierre des bâtiments conventuels fut bénite le 11 juillet 1642 par le prieur claustral dom Navarin, sous l'abbatiat de Charles de Rosmadec. Mais celle de l'église ne fut posée qu'en 1659 et l'édifice achevé 20 ans plus tard.

À la Révolution l'abbaye est pillée, saccagée et vendue comme bien national. Les Tronchétois la rachètent. À l'origine, l'abbaye comprenait le bâtiment conventuel, l'hostellerie, le cloître et l'église. Le logis abbatial était celui de l'abbaye du XIIIe siècle, toujours visible près de l'étang, aujourd'hui reconverti en hôtel de grand standing.

Le Cloitre desservait les bâtiments l'entourant et était couvert. Il fut construit entre 1642 et 1660, car en 1607 il est pratiquement en ruine. Il n'est plus couvert que dans sa partie Sud, par le bâtiment de l'Hostellerie. Les trois autres côtés ont perdu leur toit à la suite de la disparition des bâtiments qui servaient d'appuis extérieurs.

L'Hostellerie est le bâtiment auquel on accède de la rue par un escalier pyramidal à trois pans, composé de huit hautes marches, qui débouche dans la partie Sud du cloître qui est couverte par une porte à doubles vantaux. La façade sur rue est percée à droite de cette porte appelée Porte des Pauvres, endroit où l'on distribuait les aumônes. Le bâtiment comporte trois hautes fenêtres dont celle du dernier étage prise dans la toiture est empierrée.

Il ne reste plus rien de l'ancienne abbaye du XIIe siècle, située au bord du ruisseau. Les matériaux furent réutilisés par les moines de la Congrégation de Saint-Maur pour édifier la seconde abbaye au XVIIe siècle. Les restes de l'abbaye furent inscrits à l'inventaire des Monuments historiques le 26 juillet 1933. "

Sources : L’Abbaye

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"The church was founded in 1140 by Alain, son of Jordan or Jourdain, seneschal of Dol and a convent around 1150, on the site of the present abbey hostelry.This community was given by Alain, returned from crusade, to Hugues, archbishop of Dol from 1156 to 1162 with the assent of the Abbot and monks.

This house was erected as an abbey in 1170 by monks of the Congregation of St. Benedict, which it followed the rule, with some special uses practiced in Tiron. In 1258, the archdeacon of Dol obtains a papal bull suppressing the dependence of Tronchet on the Tiron abbey.

The cloister is transformed into a cemetery by the plague (1625-40). The abbey was built near the ponds in a marshy place, the Benedictines of the congregation of Saint-Maur decide in 1642, the construction of a new abbey on the nearby hill, the construction will last from 1642 to 1679.

The first stone of the conventual buildings was blessed on July 11, 1642 by the prior claustral Dom Navarin, under the abbatial of Charles de Rosmadec. But that of the church was not asked until 1659 and the building completed 20 years later.

At the Revolution the abbey is looted, ransacked and sold as national property. The Tronchétois buy it. Originally, the abbey included the conventual building, the inn, the cloister and the church. The abbey dwelling was that of the 13th century abbey, still visible near the pond, now converted into a luxury hotel.

Cloitre served the surrounding buildings and was covered. It was built between 1642 and 1660, because in 1607 it is practically in ruins. It is only covered in its southern part, by the building of the Hostellerie. The other three sides lost their roof following the disappearance of the buildings which served as external supports.

The Hostellerie is the building which is reached from the street by a pyramidal staircase with three sides, consisting of eight high steps, which opens into the southern part of the cloister which is covered by a double door. The facade on the street is pierced to the right of this door called Porte des Pauvres, where alms were distributed. The building has three tall windows including the top floor in the roof is stone.

There is nothing left of the old 12th century abbey, located at the edge of the stream. The materials were reused by the monks of the Congregation of St. Maur to build the second abbey in the seventeenth century. The remains of the abbey were listed in the inventory of Historic Monuments on July 26, 1933. "

Sources : The Abbey

Qui a placé ce repère historique ? / Who placed this historical marker ?:
Association Le Tronchet Patrimoine Culture et Tradition


Site internet / Internet Website: [Web Link]

Date de placement / Date of establishment: Not listed

Eléments cryptés / Encrypted elements: Not listed

Conditions de visite alternatives / Alternative visit requirements: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[FR] Une preuve de votre visite est demandée. Joignez à votre log une photo du repère historique et culturel ou répondez à la question alternative proposée par l'owner quand elle existe (si vous ne pouvez joindre de photo).
[ENG] A proof of your visit is needed. Join a picture from the historical and cultural marker to your log or respond to the alternative question proposed by owner if available (if you can't provide a picture).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Histoires de France (French historical markers)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Abbaye Notre-Dame du Tronchet - Le Tronchet, France 10/2/2019 pmaupin visited it