Cathedrale Sainte Marie - Oloron Sainte Marie, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 43° 11.271 W 000° 36.962
30T E 693724 N 4784434
Quick Description: In the town center Dans le centre ville.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 9/29/2019 3:49:09 AM
Waymark Code: WM11CQW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 2

Long Description:
Tourisme64 source:
Listed on the World Heritage List as part of the cultural heritage "Chemins de Saint-Jacques in France", the old Sainte-Marie cathedral testifies to the episcopal history of the city. Its 12th century sculpted Romanesque portal alone makes it famous.
The Treasury, located inside the building, hides a small crib Bearn, a collection of clothing and many goldsmiths.


Wikipedia source:
"The church of Oloron was destroyed in 848 by the Vikings when they annihilated the city.It is at the Council of Toulouse (1229) that the bishopric and the city are raised.The Count Centulle repeuple the city of Oloron in 1080. Bishop Amat laid the foundation stone of the Sainte-Croix church, around 1080, on the site of an old building, and around 1102 the viscount of Béarn Gaston IV the Crusader decided to build a new cathedral that Bishop Roger I of Sentes began to build on the left bank of the Gave Aspe After his death in 1114, his successor was Arnaud I of Araux, monk of the Abbey of Cluny, prior of Sainte-Foi de Morlaàs His successor, Arnaud II of Izeste, monk of Cluny, prior of Sainte-Foi de Morlaàs, succeeded him until 1168.

It remains of this 12th century cathedral the Romanesque portal protected by the bell tower and elements in the transept.

In 1212, Gaston VI of Béarn took the side of the count of Toulouse. A band of roads favorable to the Albigensian party is housed in the city. One of the soldiers dressed in pontifical clothes and made a simulacrum of mass and sermon in the cathedral. These soldiers burned the episcopal palace and the fire would have reached the cathedral. In a council held in Lavaur, Count Béarn is held responsible and excommunicated3. In 1215, the Viscount of Béarn surrendered his seigneurial rights over the Sainte-Marie agglomeration to the bishop, who then transferred the episcopal see of the upper town to the plain village. The bishop of Lescar was described as the first baron of Béarn, the bishop of Oloron is the second baron.

The church is burned in the thirteenth century during a riot. The nave is built in the 13th century. The present sacristy, former chapel Saint-Jean-Baptiste, is built at the end of the 13th century or the beginning of the 14th century. The building was partly burned by lightning in 1302. The choir and the chevet are rebuilt in the fourteenth century. Two vaulted vaulted chapels of liernes and tiercerons warheads are added at the end of the 15th or the beginning of the 16th century.

In 1569, when Montgommery arrived in Oloron, the cathedral was pillaged and ravaged. Bishop Claude Orégon (or Claude Régin) must take refuge in Mauléon then Vendôme. Henry IV restored the Catholic worship in Béarn. Arnaud de Maytie is named bishop of Oloron in 15975.

The cathedral is returned to the bishop Arnaud of Maytie in 1602. Repair work is done in 1617, mainly in the nave. The cathedral was enlarged by Bishop François de Revol in 1749 with four side chapels with altarpieces on either side of the nave and creating a new decor.

This cathedral was the episcopal seat of the former diocese of Oloron, which was abolished in 1802. In 1909, the bishop of Bayonne took the title of bishop of Oloron and Lescar. Since then, the diocese of Bayonne, Lescar and Oloron have had a mother church (Bayonne cathedral) and two co-cathedrals (Oloron cathedral and Lescar cathedral).

The restoration of the church was undertaken from 1859.

The building was classified as a historic monument on March 7, 1939. "


source Tourisme64 :
Inscrite sur la liste du patrimoine mondial de l'humanité en tant que composante du bien culturel "Chemins de Saint-Jacques en France", l'ancienne cathédrale Sainte-Marie témoigne du passé épiscopal de la cité. Son portail roman sculpté du XIIe siècle fait à lui seul sa renommée.
Le Trésor, situé à l'intérieur de l'édifice, cache une petite crèche béarnaise, une collections de vêtements et de nombreuses pièces d'orfèvrerie.

source Wikipedia :
"L'église d'Oloron a été détruite en 848 par les Vikings quand ils ont anéanti la cité. C'est au concile de Toulouse (1229) que l'évêché et la cité sont relevés. Le comte Centulle repeuple la ville d'Oloron en 1080. L'évêque Amat pose la première pierre de l'église Sainte-Croix, vers 1080, à l'emplacement d'un ancien édifice. C'est vers 1102 que le vicomte de Béarn Gaston IV le Croisé décide de construire une nouvelle cathédrale que l'évêque Roger Ier de Sentes commence à bâtir sur la rive gauche du gave d'Aspe. Après sa mort, en 1114, son successeur est Arnaud Ier d'Araux, moine de l'abbaye de Cluny, prieur de Sainte-Foi de Morlaàs. Son successeur, Arnaud II d'Izeste, moine de Cluny, prieur de Sainte-Foi de Morlaàs, lui succède jusqu'en 1168.

Il reste de cette cathédrale du XIIe siècle le portail roman protégé par le clocher-porche ainsi que des éléments dans le transept.

En 1212, Gaston VI de Béarn a pris le parti du comte de Toulouse. Une bande de routiers favorable au parti albigeois est logé dans la ville. Un des soudards s'est revêtu des habits pontificaux et fait un simulacre de messe et de sermon dans la cathédrale. Ces soudards ont incendié le palais épiscopal et le feu aurait atteint la cathédrale. Dans un concile tenu à Lavaur, le comte de Béarn est tenu pour responsable et excommunié3. Le vicomte de Béarn cède en 1215 ses droits seigneuriaux sur l'agglomération Sainte-Marie à l'évêque qui transfère alors le siège épiscopal de la ville haute à la bourgade de plaine. L'évêque de Lescar était qualifié de premier baron du Béarn, l'évêque d'Oloron est le second baron.

L'église est brûlée au XIIIe siècle au cours d'une émeute. La nef est construite au XIIIe siècle. La sacristie actuelle, ancienne chapelle Saint-Jean-Baptiste, est construite à la fin du XIIIe siècle ou au début du XIVe siècle. L'édifice est en partie incendié par la foudre en 1302. Le chœur et le chevet sont reconstruits au XIVe siècle. Deux chapelles latérales voûtées d'ogives à liernes et tiercerons sont ajoutées à la fin du XVe siècle ou au début du XVIe siècle.

En 1569, à l'arrivée de Montgommery à Oloron, la cathédrale est pillée et ravagée. L'évêque Claude Orégon (ou Claude Régin) doit se réfugier à Mauléon puis Vendôme. Henri IV rétablit le culte catholique dans le Béarn. Arnaud de Maytie est nommé évêque d'Oloron en 15975.

La cathédrale est rendue à l'évêque Arnaud de Maytie en 1602. Des travaux de réparations sont faits en 1617, essentiellement dans la nef. La cathédrale est agrandie par l'évêque François de Revol en 1749 par quatre chapelles latérales avec des retables de part et d'autre de la nef et en réalisant un nouveau décor.

Cette cathédrale était le siège épiscopal de l'ancien diocèse d'Oloron, qui a été supprimé en 1802. En 1909, l'évêque de Bayonne relève le titre d'évêque d'Oloron et de Lescar. Le diocèse de Bayonne, Lescar et Oloron compte depuis cette date une église-mère (cathédrale de Bayonne) et deux co-cathédrales (cathédrale d'Oloron et cathédrale de Lescar).

La restauration de l'église a été entreprise à partir de 1859.

L'édifice a été classé au titre des monuments historiques le 7 mars 1939. "


Tourisme64 : (visit link)

wikipedia : (visit link)
Type: Monument

Reference number: https://whc.unesco.org/fr/list/868

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Cathedrale Sainte Marie - Oloron Sainte Marie, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France 1/4/2020 sara et gege visited it