By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge - Wilton Place, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 30.086 W 000° 09.361
30U E 697384 N 5709423
Quick Description: St Paul's, Knightsbridge is an Anglican church built between 1840 and 1843 in the perpendicular gothic style. It is listed in 2010 publication "London's 100 Best Churches".
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/26/2019 11:17:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM11CAP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member jhuoni
Views: 1

Long Description:

St Paul's, Knightsbrige website tells us:

"St Paul’s is one of London ’s most beautiful Victorian church buildings, a church that has served the needs of the people of Knightsbridge since the 1840s.

This elaborate and highly decorated building was the first church in London to champion the ideals of the ‘Oxford Movement’ – the so-called ‘Tractarians’ who sought to restore a sense of Catholic order and spirituality to the Established Church, and to enrich its worship by the recovery of its ancient traditions. St Paul’s today remains faithful to the vision of its founding fathers – and here you will meet a group of people who believe God is to be encountered in honesty of preaching, dignity of worship and in ‘the beauty of holiness’.

The building was consecrated in 1843, and the chancel with its rood screen and striking reredos was added in 1892 by the eminent church architect G.F. Bodley who was also responsible for the decoration of St Luke’s Chapel. The whole building is rich in Christian imagery and symbolism: the tiled panels around the walls of the nave, created in the 1870’s by Daniel Bell, depict scenes from the life of Jesus Christ; the 14 Stations of the Cross that intersperse the tiled panels, painted in the early 1920’s by Gerald Moira, show scenes from the Crucifixion story; the font – regularly used to baptise new members of the Christian family – dates from 1842 and is carved with biblical scenes from both the Old and New Testaments; the statues of the Virgin and Child (1896) above the entrance to the Chapel, and of St Paul (1902) above the lectern, together with many other painted and carved depictions of saints and martyrs, testify to the great company of holy men and women who have participated in God’s work of salvation; the pulpit is adorned with symbols of the evangelists; and the whole architecture of the building draws the eye to the High Altar, to which, week by week, God’s faithful draw near to receive the bread and wine of Holy Communion."

The church is Grade II* listed with the entry at the Historic England website advising:

"Church. 1840 to 1843. Cundy Junior, with later alterations including lengthening of chancel by R J Withers in 1871-2 and again in 1892 by Bodley and the addition of the side chapel by Blomfield in 1889. Yellow brick. Bath stone dressings. Perpendicular Gothic. Centrally placed western tower with clock.

Interior with galleries to north, south and west, with cast iron shafts. Eight bay nave. Five bay chancel. Open timber roof. Much painted decoration by Bodley; screen and organ case by Bodley, stained glass to east window designed by Bodley and executed by Lavers and Westlake, 1892. South chapel windows by Lavers and Westlake, 1895. Glass to nave by Wailes. Graded II* on account of interior."

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Unknown

Year Built: 1840-43

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.