By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Maquette Eglise Saint Georges de Didonne, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 45° 36.156 W 000° 59.886
30T E 656117 N 5051844
Quick Description: In the town center. Dans le centre ville.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 9/23/2019 4:16:32 AM
Waymark Code: WM11BPF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 0

Long Description:
source Ch Lerolle:
Saint-Georges-de-Didonne, Saint-Georges church.
The powerful family Didonne appears from the eleventh century. at the time when Hélie de Didonne helped, by her liberalities, to found the priory of Saint-Nicolas de Royan, sold like national good, and which does not exist any more.
In the 17th century, the Tremaille became Marqui de Royan: the seigniory of Didonne is annexed to the new marquisate. A feudal castle, whose last vestiges (with "châta" have disappeared once), it rose on the heights of Didonne.
The nave of the current church, which was built in the 12th century, is all that remains of the Cluniac priory of Saint-Georges, which gave its name to the village. The wars of religion have caused great damage to the building: in the early seventeenth century there remained only the nave whose facade with a Roman arch portal, was rebuilt in 1606, and surmounted by a campanile recently restored.
The transept, where the altar was then, was added in 1784.
In 1793, the inhabitants of Saint-Georges gathered in a barrel of tar the titles of the priory and the castle, and burned them.
An expansion project of the church, developed in 1869 was to be abandoned because of the war of 1870. A second project ends June 30, 1873 in laying the foundation stone of the construction of the apse and two chapels side. The blessing was given by the Abbot Petit, vicar general who later became bishop of Le Puy. The neo-Romanesque style is sober and agrees with the older part of the building.
The bell tower, also in neo-Romanesque style, but curiously surmounted by a neo-Gothic spire, was built shortly after, in 1884.
The wooden ceiling of the nave, qualified at the time of provisional, was set up in 1913 due to the state of the vault, and following a claim by the parish priest of Royan to the municipality .
The sacristy, established between the bell tower and a chapel added on the south side in 1852, was built, under subscription in 1921, to make up for the disappearance of the old presbytery.
The apse and chapel of the Blessed Sacrament (left), which was damaged in 1945, have been repaired.
The modern windows currently in place, ordered and paid before the war were laid, for two of them in 1938 and for the other five in 1946 and 1947.

source Ch Lerolle :
Saint-Georges-de-Didonne, église Saint-Georges.
La puissante famille des Didonne apparaît dès le XIe siècle. à l'époque où Hélie de Didonne aida, par ses libéralités, à fonder le prieuré de Saint-Nicolas de Royan, vendu comme bien national, et qui n'existe plus.
Au XVIIe siècle, les La Trémaille devinrent Marqui de Royan : la seigneurie de Didonne est annexée au nouveau marquisat. Un château féodal, dont les derniers vestiges (au »châta » ont naguère disparu), il s’élevait sur les hauteurs de Didonne.
La nef de l'église actuelle, qui fut construite au XIIe siècle, est tout ce qu'il reste du prieuré clunisien de Saint-Georges qui a donné son nom au village. Les guerres de religion ont causé de gros dégâts à l'édifice: au début du XVIIe siècle il n'en restait que la nef dont la façade comportant un portail roman à arc brisé, a été refaite en 1606, et surmontée d'un campanile restauré récemment.
Le transept, où se trouvait alors l’autel, a été ajouté en 1784.
En 1793, les habitants de Saint-Georges réunirent dans un baril de goudron les titres du prieuré et du château, et les brûlèrent.
Un projet d'agrandissement de l'église, élaboré en 1869 dût être abandonné en raison de la guerre de 1870. Un second projet aboutit le 30 juin 1873 à la pose de la première pierre de la construction de l'abside et des deux chapelles latérales. La bénédiction fut donnée par l'Abbé Petit, vicaire général qui devint par la suite évêque du Puy. Le style néo-roman, d'une sobriété, s'accorde bien à.la partie plus ancienne de l'édifice.
Le clocher, également de style néo-roman, mais surmonté curieusement d'une flèche à l'allure néo-gothique, a été construit peu après, en 1884.
Le plafond en bois de la nef, qualifié à l'époque de provisoire, a été mis en place en 1913 en raison de l’état de la voûte, et à la suite d’une réclamation du curé doyen de Royan auprès de la municipalité.
La sacristie, établie entre le clocher et une chapelle ajoutée du côté sud en 1852, a été construite, sur souscription en 1921, pour compenser la disparition de l’ancien presbytère.
L’abside et la chapelle du Saint Sacrement (à gauche), sinistré en 1945, ont été réparées.
Les vitraux modernes actuellement en place, commandés et payée avant la guerre ont été posés, pour deux d’entre eux en 1938 et pour les cinq autres en 1946 et 1947.
Address and Hours Available to the Public:
2 rue d Alger 17110 Saint Georges de Didonne ouvert tous les jours de 9h00 à 18h00


Admission Fee (if any): no

Interactive Features: no

Website for more information: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Enjoy taking your photos from varying angles to really show off the intricacies of the 3D Map Model. Please include your impressions of the piece.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest 3D Map Models of Our World and Beyond
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.