By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Église Saint-Brice - Bernieulles, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 33.325 E 001° 46.401
31U E 413107 N 5601105
Quick Description: [EN] Placed under the name of Saint Brice, the church of Bernieulles is a heterogeneous building whose analysis reveals several campaigns of construction. [FR] Placée sous le vocable de saint Brice, l'église de Bernieulles est un édifice hétérogène dont l'analyse laisse apparaître plusieurs campagnes de construction.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 9/7/2019 8:16:44 AM
Waymark Code: WM118KA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 0

Long Description:

"It is built in chalk on a basement of flint and sandstone, the roof is slate.Currently modified, its plan affects the shape of a square.The longitudinal volume is composed of a single nave, a tower belfry and a choir.A seigniorial chapel extends it to the north.This enlargement takes place in the sixteenth century.

In 1810 a brick sacristy completes the whole. Leaning against the bedside of the building, it is connected to the choir by a door. The oldest part of the church is the tower tower attributable to the fifteenth century. A corridor of two meters long can reach the chapel avoiding the choir.

Framed by two buttresses, the portal is pierced in the southern facade of the tower. It is decorated with two stone clams. The right one, in gray stinckal, dates from the 17th century. A second door at the end of the nave was walled in 1893.

The large western portal is the enlargement of a bay by the Bernese sculptor Jean-Marie Morel at the end of the 19th century.

The observation of the west wall of the bell tower shows that the anterior cover of the nave was higher and more pronounced than the present one. This recovery dates from 1827.

At the base of the north facade, one can see traces of an older opening, presumably the gateway to a staircase leading to the floors of the tower. The lordly chapel retains the clues of the existence of a small bay and a door reserved for the use of lords. In the blockage that hides the window, we notice the use of a cul-de-lampe or a keystone depicting an angel wearing an escutcheon. The original provenance of this characteristic carved element of the 15th century is unknown.

The ground surrounding the church was lowered by one meter around 1897 to clear the foot of the walls and clean up the building too wet. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Elle est bâtie en craie sur un soubassement de silex et de grès, la toiture est en ardoise. Régulièrement modifié, son plan affecte la forme d'une équerre. Le volume longitudinal est composé d'une nef simple, d'une tour clocher et d'un chœur. Une chapelle seigneuriale prolonge celui-ci vers le nord. Cet agrandissement intervient au XVIe siècle.

En 1810 une sacristie en brique complète l'ensemble. Adossée au chevet de l'édifice, elle est reliée au chœur par une porte. La partie la plus ancienne de l'église est la tour clocher attribuable au XVe siècle. Un couloir de deux mètres de long permet de gagner la chapelle en évitant le chœur.

Encadré par deux contreforts, le portail est percé dans la façade méridionale de la tour. Il est orné de deux bénitiers de pierre. Celui de droite, en stinckal gris, date du XVIIe siècle. Une seconde porte située à l'extrémité de la nef a été murée en 1893.

Le grand portail occidental est l'agrandissement d'une baie par le sculpteur bernieullois Jean-Marie Morel à la fin du XIXe siècle.

L'observation du mur ouest du clocher montre que la couverture antérieure de la nef était plus élevée et plus accentuée que l'actuelle. Cette reprise date de 1827.

À la base de la façade nord, on aperçoit les traces d'une ouverture plus ancienne, vraisemblablement la porte d'accès à un escalier menant aux étages de la tour. La chapelle seigneuriale conserve les indices de l'existence d'une petite baie et d'une porte réservée à l'usage des seigneurs. Dans le blocage qui masque la fenêtre, on remarque le remploi d'un cul-de-lampe ou d'une clé de voûte figurant un ange portant un écusson. On ignore la provenance initiale de cet élément sculpté caractéristique du XVe siècle.

Le terrain environnant l'église a été abaissé d'un mètre vers 1897 afin de dégager le pied des murs et d'assainir l'édifice trop humide. "

Sources : L’Eglise

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1499

Dominant Architectural Style: Neo-Gothic

Diocese: Arras

Address/Location:
Rue de l'église
Bernieulles, Pas-de-Calais France
62170


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Église Saint-Brice - Bernieulles, France 3/31/2019 pmaupin visited it