Rotary Restroom Building - Chase, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 50° 49.249 W 119° 41.567
11U E 310335 N 5633355
Quick Description: Chase's Centennial Park is one of thousands built across the country to commemorate Canada's 100th birthday.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 9/6/2019 2:11:38 PM
Waymark Code: WM118G6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 2

Long Description:
In 1965, two years before Canada's centennial, Chase citizen George Hysop donated the land for this park to the Village of Chase. In size, the park is about 500 feet from north to south and averages less than 150 feet east to west. This measurement includes the new Skate Park, which was built in 2017 at the south end of the park. The rest of the park is primarily a large grassed area with a children's playground, a picnic table and a bench on the west side and a wading pool behind the large "Centennial Park" sign.

South of the wading pool is a restroom, built of red concrete block, with a metal covered hipped roof. With a single "Unisex" washroom inside, the building was opened on July 12, 2002. Sponsors for the restroom building were the Chase Rotary Club, the BC 2000 Community Spirit Program, the Village of Chase and the Adams Lake Indian Band.

The Story of Chase
Chase is known as the western gateway to the Shuswap Region, Shuswap Lake being considered the houseboat capital of Canada. One of the more exciting attractions of Chase itself is a pair of ziplines in the valley of Chase Creek, which runs through the village before emptying into the South Thompson River. About a half kilometre in length, they zip down a steep and narrow canyon over a rushing waterfall. For the less adventurous there is a smaller zipline right in town, beside the Trans Canada Highway.

Chase really began in about 1907 as a lumber mill town, was named after Whitfield Chase in 1908 and was incorporated in 1969. In 2008 the town staged 109 days of events to celebrate its centennial. From 1907 to 1925 Chase was home to the largest lumber mill in the BC interior. After its closing the town continued on the employment offered by several smaller mills.

The village was named after an American from New York State, Whitfield Chase. Born in 1820 to Josiah Chase and Sarah Barlow in Otsego, New York, he was a member of the famous New York Chases. Chase came to Canada during the 1858 Caribou gold rush. He prospected in the Thompson River area until 1864, then settled in the Chase area in 1865, becoming the first non-native settler in the area. He married a First Nations girl, Elizabeth Pierson, eldest daughter of Neskonlith Indian Band Chief Synsetia. Together they raised four (or three, depending on the source) sons and six daughters. Whitfield passed away in 1896.

Although the town didn't come into being until more than ten years after his death, it was nonetheless named after him.

Photo goes Here

Plaque or monument: Plaque

Placed by?: Chase Rotary Club

Visit Instructions:
Please tell us about the plaque/ monument. If you want to provide photos, you may.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Rotary International Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.