By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member TheTenaciousTwo
N 36° 04.095 W 079° 48.649
17S E 607088 N 3992172
Quick Description: University of North Carolina at Greensboro, located in Greensboro, NC
Location: North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 12/11/2006 9:31:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM118F
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 65

Long Description:
History/Location
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro was established by legislative enactment on February 18, 1891. The City of Greensboro, situated near the geographical center of the state, was selected for the location of the new institution after its citizens voted bonds to the sum of $30,000 for the erection of the first buildings. R. S. Pullen and R. T. Gray gave the original tenacre site. The institution opened on October 5, 1892 with a student body of 223 and a faculty of 15. Classes were organized in three departments: business, domestic science, and teaching.

The institution came into being as a direct result of a crusade made by Charles Duncan McIver on behalf of the education of women. Other pioneers in public school education -- notably, Charles B. Aycock, Edwin A. Alderman, and James Y. Joyner -- came to Dr. McIver's assistance; but to him, more than to any other individual, the University owes its foundation.

In the past century the University has evolved in its mission, as suggested with its sequence of names. It was known first as the State Normal and Industrial School, and after 1896 as the State Normal and Industrial College until 1919. During the period 1919-1931 it was known as the North Carolina College for Women, and became the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina from 1932 to 1963. It is warmly remembered as "the WC" by its many alumnae of the period.

During the years 1932-1963 the University was one of the three branches of the Consolidated University of North Carolina. The other branches included The University of North Carolina (at Chapel Hill) and the North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering (at Raleigh). In 1962, the Board of Trustees recommended that the Greensboro campus become coeducational at all levels of instruction in the fall of 1964. Subsequently, by act of the General Assembly in the Spring of 1963, the name of the institution was changed to the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

In December of 1934, during the years of the Consolidated University, the Woman's College Section of the Alpha of North Carolina Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa was installed. (Alpha Chapter is the one at Chapel Hill.) On February 17, 1956 Epsilon Chapter of North Carolina was installed at this campus.

In October of 1971 the North Carolina General Assembly adopted legislation which combined all 16 of the state-supported institutions of higher education into a single University of North Carolina. The UNC system is governed by a board of governors and administered by a president. Each constituent institution has a separate board of trustees and is administered by a chancellor.

The crusader for founding the institution, Charles Duncan McIver, served the institution as its first chief executive officer with the title of President. In 1906, following the death of Dr.McIver, Dr. Julius I. Foust became President and served until 1934, when he retired from active service. In 1934, Dr. Walter Clinton Jackson, who had served as teacher and Vice-President, was elected head of the institution with the title of Dean of Administration. By act of the Board of Trustees in 1945, the title was changed to Chancellor.

Dr. Edward Kidder Graham followed in 1950, upon Dr. Jackson's retirement. After Dr. Graham's resignation in 1956, Dr. W. W. Pierson, Jr. served as Acting Chancellor until July 1, 1957, when Dr. Gordon W. Blackwell became Chancellor. Dr. Pierson returned to serve again as Acting Chancellor in September 1960 after the resignation of Dr. Blackwell. Dr. Otis Singletary became Chancellor July 1, 1961. During the period of November 1964 to February 1966 while Dr. Singletary was on leave of absence, Dr. James S. Ferguson served as Acting Chancellor. Dr. Singletary returned and served as Chancellor until his resignation on November 1, 1966. Dr. Ferguson again served as Acting Chancellor and was appointed Chancellor on January 9, 1967. Dr. Ferguson served until his retirement to return to teaching in the Summer of 1979, when Dr. William E. Moran became Chancellor until summer of 1994. Dr. Debra W. Stewart, Dean of the Graduate School at North Carolina State University was named Interim Chancellor until Dr. Patricia A. Sullivan became UNCG's first woman chancellor in January 1995.

During its first seven decades, the institution's mission was to prepare women, primarily undergraduates, for the most effective living of that day. Today that goal -- effective living -- remains the same, but its scope has been greatly expanded.

As UNCG, it now offers men and women over 150 graduate and undergraduate programs and provides opportunities to apply classroom learning to real life situations through internships and practica. It also offers students the chance to tailor-make their own programs of study based on individual needs and goals.

Although contemporary in its educational program, UNCG is also realistic. In its effort to prepare graduates for effective living, it has built into its program the flexibility needed to meet the rapidly changing needs of society. UNCG, therefore, will remain a university in transition, not satisfied with yesterday or today, but always looking toward tomorrow.

Founding Dates of UNCG Schools and College
At the start of the 2005-06 academic year, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro consisted of seven schools, plus the College of Arts and Sciences and the International Honors College. The schools and their dates of establishment are noted below.

Graduate School 1921-22
College Arts & Sciences1 1969
International Honors College2 2005
Joseph M. Bryan School of Business & Economics3 1969-70
School of Education4 1921
School of Health and Human Performance5 1970-71
School of Human Environmental Sciences6 1949
School of Music 1921
School of Nursing 1966
1 The College of Arts and Sciences is made up of the departments of Anthropology, Art, Biology, Broadcasting and Cinema, Chemistry, Classical Studies, Communication, English, Geography, German and Russian, History, Mathematical Sciences, Philosophy, Physics and Astronomy, Political Science, Psychology, Religious Studies, Romance Languages, Sociology, and Theatre. It also includes the Residential College and The Center for Critical Inquiry in the Liberal Arts.

2 The International Honors College was established in 2004 as a result of a transformation and expansion of the University Honors Program that was established in 1962. The International Honors College offers three Honors programs for undergraduate students throughout UNCG, as well as a variety of other co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, that give students an enhanced and rewarding academic experience.

3 The Joseph M. Bryan School of Business and Economics established in 1969 as the School of Business and Economics and renamed in 1987 is made up of the departments of Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Information Systems and Operations Management, the Center for Applied Research, the Center for Economic Education, and the Center for Global Business Education and Research.

4 The School of Education is made up of the departments of Counseling and Educational Development, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Leadership and Cultural Foundations, Educational Research Methodology, Library and Information Studies, Specialized Education Services. The School of Education also includes The Collegium for the Advancement of Schools, Schooling and Education. The Collegium is comprised of the Center for Educational Research and Evaluation, the Center for Educational Studies and Development, the Center for Information Technologies Education, the Center for School Accountability and Staff Development, and the Piedmont Triad Horizons Education Consortium.

5 The School of Health and Human Performance established in 1970 as the School of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance was renamed in 1990. It is made up of five departments: Communication Sciences and Disorders; Dance; Exercise and Sport Science; Public Health Education; and Recreation, Parks and Tourism.

6 The School of Human Environmental Sciences was established in 1949 as the School of Home Economics and renamed in 1987. It is made up of the departments of Housing and Interior Design, Human Development and Family Studies, Nutrition and Foodservice Systems; Social Work, and Textile Products Design and Marketing.
Name: University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Location/Address:
1000 Spring Garden St.
Greensboro, NC USA
27403


Phone Number: 336.334.5000

Web Site: [Web Link]

Type of School: Undergraduate School with Graduate Programs

School Affiliation: Public -- State/Provincial/etc.

Date Founded: February 18, 1891

Enrollment: 15,000

Nicknames/Mascots: UNCG / Spartans

School Colors: Blue and Gold

Location of GPS Coordinates: Near the rear of the 9 story library (Jackson Library)

School Motto: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post one original photograph of the school that is a different view from the one on the main page, and describe your visit. Add any additional information that you may have about this school is welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Universities and Colleges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Padon visited University of North Carolina at Greensboro 7/26/2008 Padon visited it

View all visits/logs