Old Camp Wolters Entrance - Mineral Wells, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 32° 48.658 W 098° 04.595
14S E 586447 N 3630707
Quick Description: The old Camp Wolters entrance, constructed by the CCC, survives in front of the old National Guard Armory -- now Perone's Industrial -- at 3801 US 180, Mineral Wells, TX.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 9/5/2019 9:17:42 AM
Waymark Code: WM118A1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wayfrog
Views: 2

Long Description:
A historical marker placed by the City of Mineral Wells, Texas stands near the west section, and it provides some background on Fort Wolters and the bits of the entry gate that survive here. It has the City of Mineral Wells, Texas emblem at the top, followed by this text:

Old Camp Wolters Entrance
1925-1965

Brigadier General Jacob E. Wolters, Texas National Guard, established Camp Wolters as Headquarters for all mounted cavalry in Texas in 1925.

Starting in 1927, over 1,000 men and horses completed their summer training at this site. Men lived in tents until 1932 when housing was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).

The CCC built this rock wall entrance to Old Camp Wolters and several rock buildings located within the site. The entrance had rock walls extending north to the end of the original property to a flagpole, and to a wall surrounding a large concrete star on the current location of the Mineral Wells High School. This was the viewing area for parades of men and horses as well as an area for other military ceremonies. A state historical marker has been placed at the site to recognize the role Old Camp Wolters played in U.S. history.

On each side of the Camp Wolters entrance, two large guard houses were built by the CCC. These were likely torn down when the Army Infantry Center was deactivated in 1946.

One of the original camp buildings stands just north of here, near the state historical marker. During their stay, CCC built many other rock buildings, bridges, and rock walls in the city that are still visible.

Old Camp Wolters was activated as an Army Infantry Center March 22, 1941. It was enlarged to cover many thousands of acres until closed in 1946. The original section, called Old Camp Wolters, was given back to the National Guard and used for various purposes until sold as excess property in 1965. On part of that property is the site of the nearby National Guard Armory built in 1956 and active until 2008.

In 1951, Camp Wolters was "reactivated" on property east of here known now as Wolters Industrial Park. Camp Wolters served many groups and was designated Fort Wolters in 1963 when it became a permanent installation and home of the Primary Helicopter Training Center. Fort Wolters was active until 1973.

This wall was repaired to preserve the history of Old Camp Wolters by the Fort Wolters Main Gate Committee in 2011.

(2012)
Visit Instructions:
Logs must include picture of person with GPS'r in hand with the waymark and log of experience and any additional things learned about the waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civilian Conservation Corps
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.