By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St Jude's Church [Former] - Collingham Road, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 29.597 W 000° 11.271
30U E 695210 N 5708432
Quick Description: This "Gothic Style" Anglican church of St Jude was built between 1867 - 1870 with the spire being added in 1879. In 2010, work commenced to turn the building into a theological college - a purpose that it is still used for today.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/23/2019 12:32:06 AM
Waymark Code: WM1165J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 0

Long Description:

Wikipedia has an article about St Jude's that tells us:

"St Jude's Church, Courtfield Gardens, Kensington, London, was designed by architects George Godwin and Henry Godwin, and built between 1867–70; the tower and spire were constructed in 1879. It was built on the northern portion of Captain Robert Gunter's estate. The project was overseen by Reverend J. A. Aston, and financed by John Derby Allcroft, a wealthy glove manufacturer. The construction, not including the tower, pulpit, font and organ cost £11,300, and was undertaken by Myers & Sons.

The building is now occupied by St Mellitus College, led by the Dean, Andy Emerton. The College runs ordination and theology courses. It is also occupied by a homeless charity, the Earl's Court Project. On Sundays the building is one of four sites where the church of Holy Trinity Brompton meets.

St Jude's Church is surrounded by Courtfield Gardens, Collingham Road, and Courtfield Road. Adjacent to the north is the Vicarage (built in 1874), also designed by George and Henry Godwin.

The building was realised in a Gothic Revival style. It was built of Kentish ragstone, with ashlar stone dressings and has steeply pitched gabled roofs, of more than forty roof slopes. The roof is slate, in varying coloured bands of pale and dark grey tiles.

The nave has galleries at a first floor level, on the north, west and south sides. It is unusually wide for its length, and has banded iron columns with sheet copper crafted capitals. The brickwork contains elaborate patterns of buff, red and black bricks, and murals in roundels above the column capitals, and in the reveal of the chancel arch, painted by Edward Frampton. The nave has diagonally-set quarry tiles, and the chancel is Minton tiles.

The chancel has several interesting features: the reredos is alabaster, with mosaics by Antonio Salviati, and sculpted figures of St Jude, St Peter, and St Augustine. The pulpit is marble and alabaster, and the lectern is brass. These were designed by Thomas Earp and crafted by Edward Frampton.

The Reverend Robert William Forest D.D. was the first incumbent of the Church, and later was Dean of Worcester. The building was designed for a capacity of up to 1600 during services by utilising the nave, narthex, and galleries.

The building was listed Grade II* on 7 November 1984.

In 2006, the parishioners of St Jude's Church were absorbed into St Mary the Boltons, doubling the latter's congregation. Meanwhile, the building was taken over by Holy Trinity Brompton Church (HTB).

Under the leadership of HTB, and designed by HMDW Architects, work began in 2010 to transform the building into a theological college – St Mellitus College. The roof was entirely replaced, with like-for-like slates. The newly excavated undercroft houses two lecture rooms, offices and amenities. On the ground floor, the nave has been renovated, and a café has been installed in the narthex. A new first floor, at the same level of the galleries, provides a library above the Narthex Café for students of the college. The western exterior entrance stonework has been cleaned, and the interior white paint, applied to cover the brickwork, has been removed. Archived memorials have been reinstated."

As already mentioned, the building is Grade II* listed with the entry at the Historic England website advising:

"Church. Built 1870, tower and spire added 1879. By George and Henry Godwin. Kentish ragstone jumper-work with stone dressings. Steeply pitched gabled roofs with bands of pale and dark grey slates; chancel and sanctuary roofs decrease in height. Shingled spire. Gothic style.

PLAN AND EXTERIOR: 7-bay nave over 30 metres in length, chancel and sanctuary, double semi-transepts, SW tower. Geometric tracery windows, those to east end and transepts of 6 lights. Most angles are buttressed. Tower with paired, louvered belfry openings and a clock face to each facade.

INTERIOR: Scissor-braced king-post roof White-wash currently covers polychrome brickwork and sheet copper faced capitals. The nave arcade is carried on thin iron columns with Transitional style iron capitals. For two-thirds of the nave's length its aisles broaden into transepts accommodating galleries at first floor level, supported on an outer row of iron colunms. A further deep gallery across the west end. Shallow chancel has murals of fictive arcading with lilies and passion flowers flanking 2 harp-playing angels on a gold background; northern wall without angels but has the organ. Shallow sanctuary with blue painted roof having gold stars; murals of 1879-80 by Edward Frampton have fictive arcading with angels, prophets, Apostles and elders on a gold background flanking a reredos of alabaster and marble, carved by Thomas Earp and inset with mosaics by Alviati and Burke, the whole representing the Adoration of the Lamb. Coloured marble and alabaster pulpit, on short columns, with carved figures of St Jude, St Peter, St Paul and St Augustine, also by Frampton and Earp, 1881. Original, numbered pews. Minton tiles to the chancel floor, quarry tiles, diagonally set to the nave.

HISTORY: St Jude's was built at a boom time for church building in Kensington and coincided with the first great clashes over ritual. It was a "Low" church built on the initiative of the Revd J A Aston in anticipation of the development of the northern part of the Gunter estates, and financed by rich evangelical businessman John Derby Allcroft, a wealthy glove manufacturer. Seating was designed to accommodate some 1,600 people. It is an unusual example of design attempting to reconcile orthodox ecclesiological ideas about the visible separation of nave, aisles and chancel with the seating traditions of evangelical worship."

Public/Private: Private

Tours Available?: Unknown

Year Built: 1870

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.