Gas and Oil House (#442) - Glacier National Park, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 48° 44.306 W 113° 25.766
12U E 321383 N 5401227
Quick Description: A bit more pedestrian that the average historic district, the St. Mary Utility Area Historic District consists entirely of workshops, garages, storage buildings and barns.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 8/20/2019 2:57:59 PM
Waymark Code: WM115TZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wayfrog
Views: 1

Long Description:
In the centre of the otherwise open utility area, the Gas & Oil Building is the only log building in the utility area proper. Its low, metal covered roof extends past the west end of the building, forming a covered vehicle servicing area. At the west end of the service area are a pair of gas pumps for fueling the park's vehicles.

Built in 1939, this is one of the many buildings in the utility area which was constructed by the CCC.

Development of the St. Mary area as a major repair and storage facility for park maintenance equipment during the 1930s necessitated the 1939 construction of building #442. The Gas and Oil House was built as a CCC project (#111- 425) at an approximate cost of $1,400. It has survived virtually unchanged since that time, although a concrete loading dock (which had largely disintegrated by 1949) has been removed.

This building is one of the finest examples of rustic log construction and design in the park. It is an attractive standout from the other, utilitarian buildings in the St. Mary maintenance yard. Its low profile and use of large logs with chopper cut ends give the building a "wilderness" appearance. The covered fueling bay, with its decorative log framing and supports, is also noteworthy. The building's historic setting ~ surrounded by asphalt, at the center of the maintenance district — remains virtually unaltered and contributes to the building's historic association with the growth of the park's transportation infrastructure, increased visitation, and commensurate changes in the park's maintenance facilities.
From the NRHP Registration Form

Gas and Oil House (#442)
Building #442 is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places with significance in history and architecture and is a contributing component of the St. Mary Utility Area Historic District.

The gas and oil house sits in the center of the maintenance yard, surrounded on all sides by the district's asphalt covered "central court." The building is oriented toward the northwest: This central location reflects the building's important role in a complex primarily devoted to the service and storage of park vehicles.

Building #442 is a rectangular, single-story building constructed of logs ranging in size from 12" to 24" in diameter, joined with saddle-notches, daubed with cement, and finished with chopper cut ends. The roof is log-framed front-gable with chopper cut rafters and purlins and is covered with green corrugated metal. The roofline extends to cover a vehicle service area/fuel bay; this extension is supported by log supports and embellished with an exposed trussing system. The concrete on-grade foundation extends to a concrete-wall foundation at the southeast end of the building, incorporating the raised-concrete platform that dominates the interior.

Alterations are limited to the new fuel pumps, the removal of a concrete loading dock (ca. 1949), installation of the metal roof, and the repair of deteriorated log ends. The interior is unaltered and contributes to the building's significance.
From the NRHP Registration Form

Photo goes Here

Visit Instructions:
Logs must include picture of person with GPS'r in hand with the waymark and log of experience and any additional things learned about the waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civilian Conservation Corps
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.