Dallas Power and Light Building - Dallas, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member WalksfarTX
N 32° 46.778 W 096° 47.900
14S E 706201 N 3629003
Quick Description: The building emptied when the utility, now TXU, moved to new offices. Hamilton Properties Corporation bought it and renovated it into apartments, retail, and a conference center in 2005.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 8/19/2019 8:25:52 AM
Waymark Code: WM115H9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 2

Long Description:
NRHP Nomination Form

"Lang and Witchell Architects were hired by Dallas Power and Light Company to design this building. The zigzag moderne style was chosen as this represented the 'most modern and distinctly American skyscraper style.

Construction began in 1930, and Gardner and Howe Engineers and C. L. Shaw Company were selected as the contractors. The building was occupied in November 1931.

The building has two secondary entrances at Jackson and Browder which are almost identical with brass and glass doors within an architrave of black, polished granite. The architrave contains a frieze made of etched granite supported by two fluted pilasters. The Jackson Street frieze depicts man and machinery in the production of power while the Browder Street frieze depicts the man who created and maintained the production of power."

Artist: Lang and Witchell Architects

Address:
1506 Commerce Street / Dallas, TX


Web URL to relevant information: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photos of the building and a piece of art (minimum 1).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Frieze Art
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.