By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

OLDEST - Canadian Locomotive Company Engine - Prince George, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member BK-Hunters
N 53° 55.226 W 122° 43.889
10U E 517634 N 5974703
Quick Description: One of a large handful of locomotives on display in Prince George's Central BC Railway and Forestry Museum, the historic 1520 is the lone steam locomotive.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 7/26/2019 5:56:35 PM
Waymark Code: WM110Z1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member jhuoni
Views: 1

Long Description:
1520 was built in 1906 by the Canadian Locomotive Company (CLC) of Kingston, Ontario. CLC's history dates back to 1848 with the establishment of Ontario Foundry in Kingston. Canadian Locomotive Company Ltd. itself was incorporated in February, 1901. Having constructed over 3000 locomotives by the time of its closure in 1969, CLC was Canada's second largest commercial builder of locomotives, after Montreal Locomotive Works.

According to the historical marker at 1520 this was the "oldest known locomotive to have been built by the Canadian Locomotive Company." Built as CLC #738, 1520 is a 4-6-0 standard gauge engine. Forced into retirement in the mid 1950s by the advent of the diesel/electric locomotive, 1520 was stored at the Canadian Railway Museum in St-Constant, Quebec but remained in the possession of Canadian National Railway, which it does today. In 1991 it, along with its tender, made the voyage from St-Constant to Prince George on two flatcars, arriving at Prince George in early August, 1991.

1520 STEAM LOCOMOTIVE

Classic Beauty

This steam locomotive was built in 1906 and began its service as the No. 1223 with the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR). As the No. 1223 his engine was likely used to haul freight on the busy Eastern line between Winnipeg and Montreal. In 1918 the engine transferred to the newly formed Canadian National Railway (CNR). In the mid 1950s this locomotive got its new number, 1520, to make way for new diesel engines.

The No. l520 is the oldest known locomotive to have been built by the Canadian Locomotive Company. It is very similar to the very first engine to have crossed Prince George's steel rail bridge in January 1915.

CNR still owns this locomotive and has permanently loaned it to the Canadian Historical Railway Association. As a member of the association our Museum has a lease to exhibit this historic locomotive until 2030.

"Westward Ho!"
Farewell to CN 1520
In 1906, the Canadian Locomotive Company of Kingston, Ontario, placed the finishing touches on a 4-6-0 for the erstwhile Canadian Northern Railway. The engine carried serial number 738 and left the plant as CNoR No. 83. Under CN, the engine carried number 1223, carrying that designation until August 1956 when it was renumbered 1520 to accommodate newly arriving diesels.

This versatile ten-wheeler was built with 17'x24" cylinders and rated at 21% tractive effort. Prior to 1930, its cylinders were changed to 19"x24", with the tractive effort accordingly increased to 23%. By 1930, however, its rating reverted to the 21% level, notwithstanding that it still kept its new cylinders. At the end of the steam era, the 1520 was withdrawn from service and moved to the Canadian Railway Museum in St-Constant, Quebec. Although placed in the custodianship of the Canadian Railroad Historical Association, the engine continues to belong to Canadian National.

Advance the clock to 1991. The Prince George Railway Museum in Prince George, British Columbia, contacted the CRHA about the possibility of acquiring a steam locomotive of CN heritage for possible operation at their museum. Following lengthy discussions, a lease was drawn up and the custody of the 1520 was transferred to the Prince George group. In the past, it has usually taken 'forever and a day' for a leasing party to claim their "possessions" from the CRM. For example, even though the CRHA Division in Smiths Falls has leased former QNS&L No. 1112 (4-6-0, ex-CN No. 1112, nee CNoR No. 1112) and former CP Inspection Sedan M-260 for over a year, they still reside at the CRM. Such has not been the case with the 1520.

On July 31, the two flatcars were duly inspected by both CN and CP. On August 1, they were picked up by the CP Delson Road Job and transferred to CN at Delson. On August 5, the 1520 headed west to her new home, albeit it on flatcars.
From the Bytown Railway Society

pic goes Here

1520 & Tender about to leave St. Constant for Prince George

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Type of documentation of superlative status: Historical marker at the engine

Location of coordinates: at 1520

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:


Post one photo of the waymark that is a different view from the one on the page and describe your visit, including the date. Other information that you may regarding the waymark is encouraged. Neither you nor your GPSr need to appear in any photos!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Superlatives
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.