Église Saint-Étienne - Nevers, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 46° 59.505 E 003° 09.848
31T E 512480 N 5204260
Quick Description: [EN] The church was built in the second half of the 11th century, with the ocher limestone of the region, completed in 1097. [FR] L'Eglise a été construite dans la deuxième moitié du 11è siècle, avec le calcaire ocre de la région, terminée en 1097.
Location: Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, France
Date Posted: 7/21/2019 9:11:52 AM
Waymark Code: WM1103E
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Where's George
Views: 1

Long Description:

"The two bell towers above the facade, with two upper stories of square plan with three bays under an octagonal stone spire, were destroyed during the Revolution.Only the bases of the towers, without any decoration, remain today, which gives this facade an appearance of nudity.

The ravens that supported the Romanesque porch of the 12th century, which has also disappeared, are still visible on the façade, and excavations in 1893 have found the walls. The upper part of the facade was restored in the 19th century.

The large bay with the modern triplet, with its bows in bolsters, and the central gable are modern additions. Fortunately, the facade also retains Romanesque details, including the string of billets at the bottom and the three trilobed bays at the top. These bays are decorated with billets, four columns with foliated capitals and flanked by two decorated columns, which supported a Romanesque pediment.

The large central portal is also Romanesque, probably from the 12th century, but restored. It presents two large and four small monolithic columns, three voussures decorated with honeycomb claveaux and a string of billets on the archivolte and the entablature.

From the outside you can admire the bedside in all its beauty, from the small park that offers a little perspective to the visitor. The staging of the chapels, the ambulatory, the apse and the bell tower is magnificent and of great harmony, all decorated with horizontal bands, cords of billets, and numerous carved modillions underlining the cornices of the roofs.

The axial chapel and the eastern chapels of the transept have flat buttresses although the two other chapels of the ambulatory have buttresses-columns. Above the windows of the apse, there is a series of twenty arches on small columns comparable to those of Cosne.

The nave is undoubtedly the most remarkable part of the first church of Saint-Étienne. Indeed, it is composed of six bays, the first of which is surmounted by a platform. It is vaulted with a semicircular cradle which is supported by doubleaux resting on engaged columns.

The choir consists of a bay followed by an apse. The latter is surrounded by an ambulatory that opens onto three radiant chapels. The choir is the same height as the transept but the inner elevation is different. In the choir we find the Romanesque altar which is preserved.

In 1420, a fire destroyed the monastery buildings on the south side of the church. They are partially rebuilt in the 18th century. There are still vestiges of the cloister against the south aisle of the church. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Les deux clochers qui surmontaient la façade, avec deux étages supérieurs de plan carré avec trois baies sous une flèche octogone en pierre, ont été détruits à la Révolution. Seules les bases des tours, sans aucune décoration, demeurent aujourd’hui, ce qui donne à cette façade un aspect de nudité.

On voit toujours sur la façade les corbeaux qui ont soutenu le porche roman du 12e siècle qui a également disparu et dont des fouilles en 1893 ont retrouvé les murs. La partie haute de la façade a été restaurée au 19e siècle.

La grande baie au triplet moderne, avec ses arcs en mitres, et le pignon central sont des adjonctions modernes. Heureusement, la façade conserve également des détails romans, dont le cordon de billettes en bas et les trois baies trilobées en haut. Ces baies sont décorées de billettes, de quatre colonnettes aux chapiteaux feuillagés et flanquées de deux colonnettes décorées, qui supportaient un fronton roman.

Le grand portail central est également roman, probablement du 12e siècle, mais restauré. Il présente deux grandes et quatre petites colonnes monolithes, trois voussures décorées de claveaux alvéolés et un cordon de billettes sur l’archivolte et l’entablement.

De l’extérieur on peut admirer le chevet dans toute sa beauté, depuis le petit parc qui offre un peu de recul au visiteur. L’étagement des chapelles, du déambulatoire, de l’abside et du clocher est magnifique et d’une grande harmonie, le tout décoré par des bandes horizontales, des cordons de billettes, et de nombreux modillons sculptés soulignant les corniches des toitures.

La chapelle axiale et les chapelles orientales du transept ont des contreforts plats bien que les deux autres chapelles du déambulatoire possèdent des contreforts-colonnes. Au-dessus des baies de l’abside, on remarque une série de vingt arcatures sur petites colonnettes comparables à celles de Cosne.

La nef est sans doute la partie la plus remarquable de l’église priorale de Saint-Étienne. En effet, elle est composée de six travées dont la première est surmontée d’une tribune. Elle est voûtée d’un berceau en plein cintre qui est soutenu par des doubleaux reposant sur des colonnes engagées.

Le chœur se compose d’une travée suivi d’une abside. Cette dernière est entourée par un déambulatoire qui s’ouvre sur trois chapelles rayonnantes. Le chœur a la même hauteur que le transept mais l’élévation intérieure est différente. Dans le chœur on trouve l’autel roman qui est conservé.

En 1420, un incendie détruit les bâtiments du monastère qui se trouvent au côté sud de l’église. Ils sont partiellement reconstruits au XVIIIe siècle. On trouve encore les vestiges du cloître contre le bas-côté sud de l’église. "

Sources : L’Eglise

The "Official Tourism" URL link to the attraction: [Web Link]

The attraction’s own URL: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation:
Open from 9 am to 12 pm and from 2 pm to 6 pm all year long (5 pm in winter)/ Ouverture de 9 h à 12 h et de 14 h à 18 h toute l'année (17h en hiver)


Admission Prices:
Free


Approximate amount of time needed to fully experience the attraction: Up to 1 hour

Transportation options to the attraction: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

As a suggestion for your visit log, please make every effort to supply a brief-to-detailed note about your experience at the Waymark. If possible also include an image that was taken when you visited the Waymark. Images can be of yourself, a personal Waymarking signature item or just one of general interest that would be of value to others. Sharing your experience helps promote Waymarking and provides a dynamic history of your adventures.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Official Local Tourism Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Église Saint-Étienne - Nevers, France 7/4/2019 pmaupin visited it