Allis Chalmers 28-46 Thresher - 108 Mile House, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 51° 45.026 W 121° 20.984
10U E 613917 N 5734570
Quick Description: The 108 Mile House Heritage Site now has over a dozen heritage buildings on site, dating from 1867 to 1941. There is only one threshing machine, though.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 7/20/2019 1:02:46 PM
Waymark Code: WM10ZZG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 1

Long Description:
The original building on the site was the Post House, built on the north side of the highway in 1867 and moved to its present site in 1892. From 1875 until June of 1885 the building was operated as the "108 Hotel" by Agnus MacVee, Jim MacVee, and her brother-in-law Al Riley. Also in 1867 a log shed was built on the north side of the highway and moved to the present site in 1880, becoming the Store & Telegraph office. Further additions in 1880 were the Ice House and a Blacksmith Shop. The Small Log Barn was added in 1892, as was the wood framed Blacksmith Shop and the Bunkhouse. In 1903 the site was bought by Captain Geoffrey Lancelot Watson and in 1904 this ceased to be a Roadhouse and stopping place when Captain Watson turned it into a ranch, raising purebred Clydesdale horses and Highland Cattle. In 1908 the large Clydesdale Barn was erected. This log barn is valued as the largest log barn left in Canada.

Just to the north of that big barn, beside the north fence, is an Allis Chalmers thresher. Markings at the cylinder indicate it to have a 28 inch cylinder and 46 inch straw walkers and sieves. The wheels are steel spoke on which pneumatic rubber tires were once mounted. This would indicate that this thresher is relatively recent, probably built in the 1930s, or thereabouts. The "Allis Chalmers" decal on one side, though quite faded, is still legible. Another indication of its recent vintage is the lack of a grain weigher, which was used when bagging grain. There were a lot of flat belts and just a few chains on this thresher. While the chains remain in place, all the belts are long gone. Farmers never left the belts on over the winter, for obvious reasons.

Here's how the 108 Mile House Heritage Site came to be.

The beginning was 1969 and we were called the 108 Mile ‘Recreational’ Ranch. The developer, Block Brothers Realty, had a vision to create an ‘outdoor playground’, a five stage 26,800 acre seasonal recreational resort. The Agricultural Land Reserve prevented the last four stages from proceeding, but luckily much of the recreational infrastructure had been put in place first. We are now 1,140 permanent homes at the 108, with a population of approx 2,900. The treasure of it is that we have recreational facilities for a development of about 7,000 homes. The developers are gone and we now control our own destiny through our 108 Mile Ranch Community Association.
From 108 Ranch
In 1979 the Block Brothers sold the seven acre site to the 100 Mile House Historical Society for $1, it took over the 108 Mile House Heritage Site and continues to operate it today.

Photo goes Here

Use or Purpose of Equipment: Threshing grain

Approximate age: 80 years

Manufacturer and model: Allis Chalmers 28-46

Still in Use?: No

Location:
108 Mile House Heritage Site


Fee for Access: no

Visit Instructions:
To visit a waymark please post an original picture of the equipment and a short description of your experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Old Agricultural Equipment
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.