By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Organ - San Marco - Roma, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member denben
N 41° 53.747 E 012° 28.901
33T E 291091 N 4641271
Quick Description: San Marco is a minor basilica in Rome dedicated to St. Mark the Evangelist located in the small Piazza di San Marco adjoining Piazza Venezia.
Location: Lazio, Italy
Date Posted: 7/19/2019 7:25:53 PM
Waymark Code: WM10ZWR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 0

Long Description:
From Wikipedia: "San Marco was first built in 336 by Pope Mark, whose remains are in an urn located below the main altar. The basilica is the national church of Venice in Rome.

In 336, Pope Mark built a church devoted to one of the Evangelists, his patron saint, St. Mark, in a place called ad Pallacinas. The church is thus recorded as Titulus Marci in the 499 synod of Pope Symmachus. At that time it became one of the stational churches of the city (Monday of the third week in Lent).

After a restoration in 792 by Pope Adrian I, the church was rebuilt by Pope Gregory IV in 833. Besides the addition of a Romanesque bell tower in 1154, the major change in the architecture of the church was ordered by Pope Paul II in 1465-70, when the façade of the church was restyled according to the Renaissance taste with a portico and loggia, using marbles taken from the Colosseum and the Theatre of Marcellus. The façade is attributed to Leon Battista Alberti. Paul II being a Venetian by birth, assigned the church to the Venetian people living in Rome.

The last major reworking of the basilica was started in 1654-57 and completed by Cardinal Angelo Maria Quirini in 1735-50. With these restorations, the church received its current Baroque decoration." (visit link)

"The Basilica Organ was built in 1936 by the Tamburini firm of Crema, then and for many decades to come one of the largest and most quoted Italian organ builders. Located above the entrance portal, it is divided into three bodies that are integrated into the original architecture of the church. It is a classic choral organ of the Italian school, which does not disfigure at all with the concert pages of the great Italian and European classics.

It is equipped with 2 manuals of 61 notes, pedalboard of 32 and 18 real registers, for a total of about 1300 canes, controlled by an electro-pneumatic transmission.

In the three bodies of the canes, the Positivo chest on the right, the Grand'Organo in the center and the Pedal on the left looking at it from the altar are divided."
(visit link)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.