By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Clocher Église Saint-Vivien - Geay,Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 45° 52.317 W 000° 45.883
30T E 673480 N 5082250
Quick Description: in the town center of Geay dans le centre ville de Geay
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 7/18/2019 4:46:53 AM
Waymark Code: WM10ZMM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 1

Long Description:
Source of saintonge:
"The church of Saint-Vivien goes back to the 12th century, as evidenced by the gate and the window of the western facade, as well as the capitals visible inside, belonging to the Romanesque style and related to the sculpture of Aulnay, Fenioux or from Varaize. Probably very damaged in the Middle Ages, perhaps during the Hundred Years War, it was remodeled in the Gothic period, around the 15th century. From this period date the bay of the bedside (now walled), the foothills of the choir, the walled door of the south wall of the nave and the carved canopy visible to the right of the main portal. In addition, the masonry of the western facade shows that it has undergone major interventions or even a complete reassembly: the buttresses of the corners have been removed (with the exception of their base), elements of the bands disappeared, anomalies appear in the arrangement of the stones (in particular on the left of the portal). Following the renovation of the square and the discovery of remnants of paving, the hypothesis that the facade was retreated and the nave reduced, was advanced.

The bell-tower seems difficult to datable, by the absence of ornamentation. Probably built on a medieval base, the upper parts have been reworked as shown by the different openings on each side and the use of rubble instead of cut stone. On the west side, one can see under the twin bays the outline of an old walled window. The bedside has probably also been redesigned: in fact, the use of the roof to a cover section is very unusual. The absence of a document or architectural element dating however does not allow to advance a precise period for these transformations.

At the beginning of the 19th century, the church is said to be in good condition. It also hosts the parishioners of Vervant whose church was destroyed and will be rebuilt in 1882. In 1846, the building has deteriorated because it is said to be in poor condition and insufficient for the population: "the cover it needs to be made new, one of the walls of the nave is missing at the base, the other has lost its equilibrium, the nave is not paved, the main door is tattered by obsolescence ". In 1872, the building is "in the greatest state of disrepair: the bell tower and the facade require repairs, the lattice covering the nave threatens to collapse, the staircase of the bell tower is impracticable and the sacristy is that a dark reduced to the base of it.

The most urgent works, including the refurbishment of the nave and pediment of the western façade, were completed in 1874 by the contractor Alphonse Tardy. According to a letter from the pastor of Paillé, who was then in charge of the cult, the nave was largely demolished and rebuilt, leaving for the ceremonies during the works only the small space of the choir. The remainder of the work, including the bell tower, was mentioned in the 1876 and 1877 municipal council deliberations, but it is unclear whether it was done. A project to raise the bell tower designed by the architect Aimé Bonnet in 1877, probably too ambitious for the finances of the town, remained on paper. The windows, the altarpiece of the choir and the rest of the furniture are also datable from the second half of the 19th century.

The mechanical tile roof is probably the result of a renovation mentioned in the municipal deliberations in 1903. The current bell dates from 1947 and follows a turbulent history. Following the storm of 1781, the bell was first changed, then a second time in 1858 (it would have cut in two), and finally in 1947 (the previous fell from the bell tower in 1945 after young people had pulled too hard on the rope)."


source Val de saintonge :
"L'église Saint-Vivien remonte au 12e siècle, comme en attestent le portail et la fenêtre de la façade occidentale, ainsi que les chapiteaux visibles à l'intérieur, appartenant au style roman et apparentés à la sculpture d'Aulnay, de Fenioux ou de Varaize. Sans doute très endommagée dès le Moyen-Age, peut-être pendant la guerre de Cent ans, elle a été remaniée à la période gothique, vers le 15e siècle. De cette époque datent la baie du chevet (aujourd'hui murée), les contreforts du choeur, la porte murée du mur sud de la nef et le dais sculpté visible à droite du portail principal. De plus, la maçonnerie de la façade occidentale montre qu'elle a subi d'importantes interventions, voire un remontage complet : les colonnes contreforts des angles ont été supprimées (à l'exception de leur base), des éléments des bandeaux ont disparu, des anomalies apparaissent dans la disposition des pierres (notamment à gauche du portail). Suite aux travaux de réfection de la place et à la découverte de restes de pavages, l'hypothèse que la façade aurait été reculée et la nef réduite, a été avancée.

Le clocher paraît difficilement datable, par l'absence d'ornementation. Probablement édifié sur une base médiévale, les parties hautes ont été remaniées comme le montrent les ouvertures différentes sur chaque face et l'utilisation du moellon au lieu de la pierre de taille. Côté ouest, on peut notamment voir sous les baies géminées le contour d'une ancienne fenêtre murée. Le chevet a très probablement lui aussi été remanié : en effet, l'utilisation du toit à un pan en couverture est très inhabituelle. L'absence de document ou d'élément architectural datant ne permet toutefois pas d'avancer une période précise pour ces transformations.

Au début du 19e siècle, l'église est dite en bon état. Elle accueille également les paroissiens de Vervant dont l'église a été détruite et ne sera reconstruite qu'en 1882. En 1846, l'édifice s'est dégradé puisqu'il est dit en mauvais état et insuffisant pour la population : "la couverture aurait besoin d'être faite à neuf, un des murs de la nef manque par la base, l'autre a perdu son aplomb, la nef n'est point pavée, la grande porte est en lambeaux par vétusté". En 1872, l'édifice est "dans le plus grand état de délabrement : le clocher et la façade nécessitent des réparations, le lattis qui recouvre la nef menace de s'effondrer, l'escalier du clocher est impraticable et la sacristie n'est qu'un sombre réduit à la base de celui-ci.

Les travaux les plus urgents comprenant la réfection de la nef et du fronton de la façade occidentale sont réalisés en 1874 par l'entrepreneur Alphonse Tardy. Selon une lettre du curé de Paillé qui assurait alors le culte, la nef fut en grande partie démolie et reconstruite, ne laissant pour les cérémonies durant les travaux que le petit espace du choeur. Le reste des travaux, notamment la réfection du clocher, sont mentionnés dans les délibérations du conseil municipal en 1876 et 1877, mais on ignore s'ils ont bien été réalisés. Un projet de surélévation du clocher dessiné par l'architecte Aimé Bonnet en 1877, probablement trop ambitieux pour les finances de la commune, est resté sur le papier. Les vitraux, le retable du choeur et le reste du mobilier sont également datables de la 2e moitié du 19e siècle.

La couverture en tuile mécanique est probablement le résultat d'une réfection mentionnée dans les délibérations municipales en 1903. La cloche actuelle date de 1947 et fait suite à une histoire mouvementée. Suite à la tempête de 1781, la cloche aurait été une première fois changée, puis une seconde fois en 1858 (elle se serait coupée en deux), puis enfin en 1947 (la précédente est tombée du clocher en 1945 après que des jeunes gens aient tiré trop fort sur la corde)."
Address of Tower:
rue de l'eglise Romane
Geay, Nouvelle Aquitaine France
17250


Still Operational: yes

Number of bells in tower?: 1

Relevant website?: [Web Link]

Rate tower:

Tours or visits allowed in tower?: Unknown

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the tower taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this tower and any other interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bell Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
sara et gege visited Clocher Église Saint-Vivien - Geay,Nouvelle Aquitaine, France 10/30/2019 sara et gege visited it