1892 Log Barn - 108 Mile House, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 51° 45.036 W 121° 20.884
10U E 614031 N 5734591
Quick Description: The 108 Mile House Heritage Site now has over a dozen heritage buildings on site, dating from 1867 to 1941.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 7/17/2019 9:34:51 PM
Waymark Code: WM10ZKC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Windsocker
Views: 2

Long Description:
The original building on the site was the Post House, built on the north side of the highway in 1867 and moved to its present site in 1892. From 1875 until June of 1885 the building was operated as the "108 Hotel" by Agnus MacVee, Jim MacVee, and her brother-in-law Al Riley. Also in 1867 a log shed was built on the north side of the highway and moved to the present site in 1880, becoming the Store & Telegraph office. Further additions in 1880 were the Ice House and a Blacksmith Shop. The Small Log Barn was added in 1892, as was the wood framed Blacksmith Shop and the Bunkhouse. In 1903 the site was bought by Captain Geoffrey Lancelot Watson and in 1904 this ceased to be a Roadhouse and stopping place when Captain Watson turned it into a ranch, raising purebred Clydesdale horses and Highland Cattle. In 1908 the large Clydesdale Barn was erected. This log barn is valued as the largest log barn left in Canada.

This, the smaller of the two barns on the property, was built in 1892 by Stephen Tingley, then owner of the property. A working barn for much of its life, it is still full of tack and other paraphernalia found on a working ranch in days past.

  • 1891 STEPHEN TINGLEY bought D.L. 76 (108) and his son Clarence ran it. Clarence was a telegraph operator, 'BX Agent', dairy farmer, stockraiser, storekeeper and hotel keeper.
  • 1892 Tore down "Roper '1867' Hotel" north of road, & re-assembled on this site for **108 POSTHOUSE** with a single story extension that contained the kitchen and eating area. This extension has not (as yet) been replaced by the Society.
  • 1892 Built **SMALL LOG BARN** on this site.
  • 1892 Built large log BX Stable south of road. This log structure burned down 1904-1908 and was situated in the exact spot the **105 HERITAGE HOUSE** is located. - Built frame blacksmith shop - Built log "BUNKHOUSE"
  • 1903 Clarence Tingley sold D.L. 76 (108) September 23 to Captain Watson (including 13 other lots) for $11,000.
  • From the 108 Mile House Heritage Site
Since becoming a Heritage Site more heritage buildings have been added to the site including:
The 105 Mile McNeil Roadhouse, built in 1905, moved to the site in 1979, once another roadhouse, now the 105 Mile Ranch Museum, filled with artefacts, photos and documents from the mid 1800s to the early 1900s
The 133 Mile Schoolhouse, built in 1938 and donated to the site about 2003
The Game Warden's Cabin, built Sept. 25, 1941, officially opened on site August 1, 1916
The Trapper's Cabin, built in the 1930s and moved onto the heritage site.

Photo goes Here

Construction: Wood

Is this a 'working' barn?: Other (describe below)

Other:
Part of a heritage site


Distinctive Features: Other (describe below)

Other Distinctive Features:
Left much as it was when in use close to a century ago


Rating - Please Rate this Barn:

Visit Instructions:

When visiting a waymark, please take pictures that clearly show the barn and any implements, animals or other farm-related items that might be visible. This category can be as much about creative photography as the actual building itself. 

Tell us about your visit. Is this the first time you saw this barn? Did you make a special trip to 'visit' this waymark? Are you a 'country mouse' or 'city mouse'?

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Barns
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.