Le Château de Chillon - Veytaux, Vaud, Suisse
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Tromel
N 46° 24.850 E 006° 55.650
32T E 340724 N 5142153
Quick Description: [FR] Le château de Chillon se trouve sur les rives du lac Léman, à Veytaux. [EN] The Chillon castle is located in Veytaux city, near the Genova lake.
Location: Vaud, Switzerland
Date Posted: 7/4/2019 10:24:33 PM
Waymark Code: WM10X6Q
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Jake39
Views: 3

Long Description:
[FR] Le château de Chillon sous sa forme actuelle est le résultat de plusieurs siècles de constructions et de réaménagements divers.

Les fouilles menées dès la fin du XIXe siècle, en particulier celles conduites par l'archéologue Albert Naef (1862-1936), attestent l'occupation du site dès l'Âge du Bronze.
L'îlot rocheux sur lequel le château est édifié constituait à la fois une protection naturelle et un emplacement stratégique pour commander le passage entre le nord et le sud de l’Europe.

L’histoire du château est marquée par 3 grandes périodes :
LA PÉRIODE SAVOYARDE (XIIE SIÈCLE-1536)
La première mention écrite du château remonte à 1150. A ce moment, les comtes de Savoie contrôlent la forteresse, de même que le passage entre le lac et les montagnes. C’est à partir du XIIIe siècle que le château est agrandit et Pierre II de Savoie en fait la résidence d’été des comtes.

Dès 1150, les comtes de Savoie contrôlent la forteresse ainsi que le passage entre le lac et les montagnes occupant ainsi une place stratégique sur l’axe menant du nord au sud.

Au XIIIe siècle, les comtes continuent leur conquête Pays de Vaud et la domination savoyarde s’étendra aux deux tiers de la Suisse romande actuelle. À Chillon, des travaux d’agrandissements sont entrepris, notamment sous Pierre II de Savoie qui en fait une résidence d’été des comtes. Les comtes n’y habitent pas à l’année car ils sont amenés à se déplacer pour gouverner et rester en contact avec leurs sujets. Un bailli-châtelain réside toutefois en permanence dans le château pour s’occuper des affaires.

Petit à petit Chillon est délaissé, la cour de Savoie préférant d’autres châteaux. Ce sont les Bernois qui vont redonner vie aux murs de la forteresse dès 1536.
LA PÉRIODE BERNOISE (1536-1798)
Les Suisses, plus précisément les Bernois, conquirent le Pays de Vaud. La fin de la conquête se fait par la prise du château de Chillon en 1536. Durant près de 260 ans, le château conserve son rôle de forteresse, d’arsenal et de prison.

Après un siège de trois semaines, les Bernois entrent finalement dans la forteresse. Le 29 mars 1536, la conquête du Pays de Vaud s’achève par la prise de Chillon. Les Bernois divisent le Pays de Vaud en douze bailliages et Chillon devient alors le centre administratif du bailliage de Vevey ainsi que la résidence permanente du bailli.

Au temps de Savoie, le château était divisé en deux secteurs : celui pour le bailli-châtelain et celui pour les comtes de Savoie lorsqu’ils y résidaient. Cette division n’a plus lieu d’être et les Bernois occupent toute la résidence. Du côté forteresse, les défenses sont adaptées aux nouvelles armes à feu.

En 1733, les baillis quittent le château – isolé et inconfortable – pour s’installer dans une résidence plus moderne à Vevey.
LA PÉRIODE VAUDOISE (DE 1798 À NOS JOURS)
A la Révolution vaudoise en 1798, les Bernois quittent le château qui devient propriété du Canton de Vaud à sa fondation en 1803. Une grande campagne de restauration est initiée à la fin du XIXe siècle et se poursuit aujourd’hui encore.

Les patriotes de Vevey et de Montreux occupent la forteresse en janvier 1798. Devenu un bien national lors de la Révolution vaudoise, le château appartient dorénavant au nouveau Canton de Vaud, fondé en 1803. Cette vieille bâtisse est utilisée comme dépôt d’armes et munitions, ainsi que prison d’état. Ainsi, les premiers visiteurs côtoient les prisonniers...

Cette forteresse médiévale attire les Romantiques. Lors de sa visite en 1816, Lord Byron – poète anglais – s’inspire de l’histoire du prisonnier François Bonivard pour écrire son poème The Prisoner of Chillon qui rendra le château célèbre. De nombreux autres artistes sont fascinés par le château et son paysage qui lui sert d’écrin.

Dès la fin du XIXe siècle, le château est restauré par l’archéologue cantonal, Albert Naef. Des campagnes de restaurations sont encore menées aujourd’hui.

[EN] In its current state, the Castle of Chillon is the result of several centuries of constant building, adaptations, renovations and restorations.

Excavations carried out from the end of the 19th century, in particular by the archeologist Albert Naef (1862-1936), affirm that this site has been occupied since the Bronze Age.

The rocky island on which the castle is built, was both a natural protection and a strategic location to control the passage between northern and southern Europe.

The history of the castle was influenced by three major periods:
THE SAVOY PERIOD (12TH CENTURY TO 1536)
The first written mention of the castle appears in 1150. At that time, the Counts of Savoy controlled the fort, as well as the path between the lake and the mountains.

From the 13th century onwards, the castle was extended, and under Pierre II of Savoy, it became the summer residence of the Counts.

As early as 1150, the Counts of Savoy controlled the fort, as well as the path between the lake and the mountains, which gave them a strategic location on the route leading from the north to the south.

In the 13th century, the Counts furthered their conquests of the territory of Vaud until their domination was extended over approximately two-thirds of the territory which makes up today’s French-speaking Switzerland. The Chillon Castle was extended at that time, in particular under Pierre II of Savoy who transformed it into a summer residence for the Counts. The Counts did not live in Chillon year-round as they moved around to govern and stay close to their subjects. Nevertheless, a castellan bailiff stayed in the castle at all seasons to take care of affairs.

Little by little, the Chillon Castle started to be neglected as the court of Savoy favored other castles. But from 1536 on, the Bernese brought the fort back to life.
THE BERNESE PERIOD (1536-1798)
The Swiss, or more precisely, the Bernese, conquered the Pays de Vaud. The conquest was completed once the Bernese took-over the Chillon Castle in 1536. For more than 260 years, the castle retained its role as a fortress, arsenal, and prison.

After a three-week siege, the Bernese finally entered the fortress. On March 29th, 1536, their conquest of the Pays de Vaud was completed as they took over the castle of Chillon. The Bernese divided the Pays de Vaud into twelve bailliages, and Chillon became the administrative center for the bailliage of Vevey.

Under the Counts of Savoy, the castle was divided into two parts, one for the castellan bailiff, and the other for the Counts, when they resided at Chillon. This division was no longer useful, and the Bernese took possession of all the space in the castle. Concerning the defensive aspects, the fortress was adapted to the then new firearms.

In 1733, the bailiffs left the castle, which had become isolated and uncomfortable, and moved on to a more modern residence in Vevey.
THE VAUDOIS PERIOD (1798 TO THE PRESENT)
In 1798, at the time of the Vaudois Revolution, the Bernese left the castle, which became the property of the Canton of Vaud upon its foundation in 1803.

A major restoration campaign was launched at the end of the 19th century and is still ongoing.

The patriots of Vevey and Montreux occupied the fortress in January 1798. The castle became national property during the Vaudois Revolution, and belongs since then to the Canton of Vaud, from the date of its foundation in 1803. This old building was first used to stock weapons and ammunitions, and as a State prison. Thus, the first visitors to the castle would come across prisoners…

The medieval fortress attracted the Romantics. During his visit in 1816, Lord Byron, the British poet, found inspiration in the story of Chillon inmate François Bonivard to write his poem The Prisoner of Chillon, which made the castle famous. Many other artists were fascinated by Chillon and the landscape over which it towers.

At the end of the 19th century, cantonal archeologist Albert Naef was in charge of the restoration of the castle. Restoration campaigns are still ongoing nowadays.
Type of Framed View: free standing window

Access Times: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a 'Framed Views' waymark you have to post at least one original photo of the frame and the location shown through it. Feel free to pose in front of the frame on the picture if you like to. But this is not a requirement! Please add any additional information you know about the location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Framed Views
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Casper&Aero visited Le Château de Chillon - Veytaux, Vaud, Suisse 9/7/2019 Casper&Aero visited it
Tromel visited Le Château de Chillon - Veytaux, Vaud, Suisse 7/10/2019 Tromel visited it

View all visits/logs