By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

First Presbyterian Church - Emporia, Kansas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 24.458 W 096° 10.796
14S E 746240 N 4254810
Quick Description: This two-story limestone Gothic Revival building is located at 802 N Commercial in Emporia, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 7/3/2019 5:54:50 PM
Waymark Code: WM10WY2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 0

Long Description:
First Presbyterian Church Status: Contributing
Address: 802 N COMMERCIAL ST
Date of Construction: 1895 (Estimated)
Parcel ID: 192-10-0-40-22-003.00-0
Historic Function: Religion - Religious Facility
Current Function: Religion - Religious Facility
Architectural Classification: Gothic Revival

Description:
This limestone church building occupies a corner lot and has a highly complex roof and irregular plan. The central block is cross-gabled with a raised central dome at the ridge intersection. Engaged square towers, each with pyramidal hipped roofs, occur at each end of the primary (west) elevation. The north tower is two stories in height while the south tower rises three stories. An engaged round tower with conical roof is at the rear (east) end of the south side elevation and a gabled wing projects from the rear (east) end of the north elevation. The main entrance is in the center bay of the primary (west) elevation, sheltered by a recessed porch characterized by pointed arch openings. Additional historic character-defining features include: the parapeted gables; the asymmetrical fenestration; the variable stone unit sizes; the rectangular leaded glass windows that occur singly and in groups of three; the large, leaded rose windows set within pointed arches on each upper gable wall; and the large leaded glass, pointed arch window groups in the north elevation. A mid-twentieth century two-story, flat-roof addition extends from the east end of the north elevation.

History:
There was a Presbyterian Church on this corner by 1884. The current building, built in 1897 from plans by Charles W. Squires, appears to have incorporated the original building (Sachs and Ehrlich, 109). It remained in 1929 and 1946. The education addition on the northeast corner post-dates 1946.

Integrity:
Although the building has evolved over time, this building has a high degree of architectural integrity from the period of significance. It is classified as a contributor.

- National Register Application

Public/Private: Private

Tours Available?: no

Year Built: 1895

Web Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.