The Guildhall - Conwy, Gwynedd, Wales
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 53° 16.832 W 003° 49.602
30U E 444880 N 5903797
Quick Description: In the early 19th century a National School was established at the guildhall, Conwy, for poor children to receive basic education. It moved to a new building c.1840
Location: North Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/30/2019 1:04:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM10W4G
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"A civic building has stood here since the 13th century, known by various names including the Town Hall, Shire Hall and Common House. In 1613 a market hall was built here. Its upper floor was used as the Common Hall.

In the early 19th century a National School was established here, for poor children to receive basic education. It moved to a new building c.1840."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"Pigot's Directory in 1835 p.681 lists two other schools, one in Back Lane* run by Robert Hughes and another in the Town Hall run by Thomas Roberts. Both of these may also have been there in 1832. No other references have been discovered relating to the Back Lane School. The Guild Hallwas originally used as the Town Hall by Conway Corporation up until 1899 when the newly built Civic Hall on Castle Street was officially opened. Since then the Guild Hall has been used for many purposes. For a short while after 1835 this school became known as the National School for Juniors.
* Back Lane was the former name of Chapel Street

Thomas Roberts ran the school from at least 1835 to 1844. He is listed in some of the trade directories of the time.
1835 Pigots Directory - Thomas Roberts, Town Hall
1840 Robsons Directory - T Roberts, master, High Street, ( National)
1841 Robsons Directory - T Roberts, master of the National School, High Street
In the 1844 Slaters Directory Thos. Roberts is listed as master of the National School on Rose Hill Street. In addition to this entry, a Thomas Parry is recorded at the Town Hall School, Castle Street. It seems that this school was still running after the National School was established in Rose Hill in 1838/39.

In 1859 permission was granted to a Mr. William Davies to keep a school in the Town Hall at 6d per week provided it did not interfere with the meetings of the Corporation and the Petty Sessions."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Conwy Guild Hall
Rose Hill St
Conwy, Gwynedd Wales
LL32 8LD

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To post a log, you may include a photo of yourself at the former school, or a photo of the school, but it is NOT necessary. Please indicate the number of people who visited the waymark with you.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Former Schools
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.