Stained Glass Windows - St Paul - Gorsedd, Flintshire, Wales
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 53° 16.783 W 003° 16.352
30U E 481828 N 5903422
Quick Description: Stained glass windows in St Paul's church, Gorsedd.
Location: North Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/26/2019 11:41:04 AM
Waymark Code: WM10VCG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
Stained glass windows in St Paul's church, Gorsedd.

"This Victorian church owes its existence to the outrage felt by many members of the public after Lord and Lady Fielding promised the Anglicans a new church in nearby Pantasaph, only to give the building to Franciscan friars. You can read more about their conversion to Catholicism on our web page about the Franciscan friary, which includes the Pantasaph church.

Affronted Anglicans across Wales and England donated enough money for two new Anglican churches. The churches were built on each side of Pantasaph, at Brynford and here at Gorsedd.

St Paul’s Church in Gorsedd was consecrated in October 1853 as the centre of a new parish (the area was formerly under Whitford and Ysceifiog parishes). The architect was Thomas Henry Wyatt. Also built at the same time were a vicarage and a school, which still stands, west of the church.

The church is listed as a fairly early example of “high Gothic” style. It cost £2,024 to construct. The accompanying school cost £665 and the vicarage £1,110.

The church retains its original pews. Some are marked Rhydd – Welsh for “free” – and were always available for anyone to use. Other pews were “bought” by parishioners (a common practice at the time). Some of the Bibles and other books also date from the church’s opening.

Most of the church plate, including the chalice, dates from 1836 to 1856 and was given to St Paul’s by Lady Mary Fielding. She was the second wife of the Lord Fielding, who had switched to Catholicism in 1850. She herself was from a Catholic family.

Unusually, the west window includes Queen Victoria’s coat of arms in stained glass, dated 1853."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"Works at this site:

Christ in Majesty
Three-light window with a standing figure of Christ with rays of light emanating from his nimbus. A small wreath at the foot of the central light encircles the Agnus Dei.
firm/studio: LGS Tectonics
1990
east wall of the chancel

St Paul by the Shore after the Shipwreck
Two-light window with standing figure of Paul standing on a rock by the sea in the right-hand light. In the left-hand light two figures make their way to the shore with a boat on the sea in the background.
firm/studio: LGS Tectonics
designer: D. W. Robinson
1993
north wall of the nave

Christ with a Woman and Children
Two-light window depicting Christ with a shepherd's staff, and a woman who holds and infant in the right-hand light, with four further children at her feet. Set beneath a fruit tree.
firm/studio: Linley Glass Studio
designer: D. W. Robinson
1996
south wall of the nave

Victorian Royal Coat of Arms
Sexfoil with coat of arms, crowned, with V and R at either side. One of three windows in the west wall.
1853
west wall of the nave"

SOURCE - (visit link)
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
St Paul
2 Parc Gorsedd
Gorsedd, Flintshire Wales
CH8 8RP


Days of Operation: Daytime

Hours of Operation: From: 12:00 AM To: 12:00 AM

Admission Charge: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.